Location of maximum electric field due to a ring of charge?

In summary: Yes, but I can't seem to simplify the equation I get.So, take the equationdE=\frac{\lambda dl}{r^2}and use symmetry/geometry to tell me what this equation (differential form of Coulomb's law) becomes in terms of your parameters and coordinates.
mHo2

Homework Statement

Hi,
Having some trouble with answering this question:
A thin nonconducting rod with a uniform distribution of +'ve charge 'Q' is bent into a circle of radius R. There is an axis, 'z' which originates in the center of this ring.

In terms of 'R', at what +'ve value of z is that magnitude maximum?

I'm not precisely sure what this question is asking (slightly ambiguous), however I'm assuming it's asking where the electric field due to this ring is at a maximum. Any help is appreciated!

Homework Equations

E = (q*z*K)/(Z^2 + R^2)^(3/2)
E = F/Q
Where K = 1/(4*Pi*E(naught))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have determined z in terms of R to be
z = R/Tan(Pi/2 - Theta)

Where 'Theta is the angle of elevation between the 'point' on z and the edge of the ring.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks as though the problem wants you to find the electric field on the axis of the ring. So you will want the charge distribution (hint: make the circle into a line to get charge per length), and you will want to employ symmetry. Is this a class that uses calculus? If so set up the integral and I, or someone else, will tell you if it's right.

Mindscrape said:
Looks as though the problem wants you to find the electric field on the axis of the ring. So you will want the charge distribution (hint: make the circle into a line to get charge per length), and you will want to employ symmetry. Is this a class that uses calculus? If so set up the integral and I, or someone else, will tell you if it's right.

It kind of does, however the magnitude of the z components is zero when it lies between the ring.

mHo2 said:

Homework Statement

Hi,
Having some trouble with answering this question:
A thin nonconducting rod with a uniform distribution of +'ve charge 'Q' is bent into a circle of radius R. There is an axis, 'z' which originates in the center of this ring.

In terms of 'R', at what +'ve value of z is that magnitude maximum?

I'm not precisely sure what this question is asking (slightly ambiguous), however I'm assuming it's asking where the electric field due to this ring is at a maximum. Any help is appreciated!

Homework Equations

E = (q*z*K)/(Z^2 + R^2)^(3/2)
E = F/Q
Where K = 1/(4*Pi*E(naught))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have determined z in terms of R to be
z = R/Tan(Pi/2 - Theta)

Where 'Theta is the angle of elevation between the 'point' on z and the edge of the ring.

Thanks!
So, the ring of charge lies in the xy coordinate plane, and is centered at the origin.

I assume you have determined the E field at any point along the z-axis.

I general, how do you find the maximum of a function?

mHo2 said:
It kind of does, however the magnitude of the z components is zero when it lies between the ring.

No, you have to find the field for all points along the z-axis and then maximize the function you get for the E-field. Maybe it's zero, maybe it's not. :p What did you get, and how did you get it?

Mindscrape said:
No, you have to find the field for all points along the z-axis and then maximize the function you get for the E-field. Maybe it's zero, maybe it's not. :p What did you get, and how did you get it?

Yes, but I can't seem to simplify the equation I get.

So, take the equation
[tex]dE=\frac{\lambda dl}{r^2}[/tex]
and use symmetry/geometry to tell me what this equation (differential form of Coulomb's law) becomes in terms of your parameters and coordinates.

Related to Location of maximum electric field due to a ring of charge?

1. What is the formula for calculating the location of maximum electric field due to a ring of charge?

The formula for calculating the location of maximum electric field due to a ring of charge is given by r = R/sqrt(2), where r is the distance from the center of the ring to the location of maximum electric field and R is the radius of the ring.

2. How does the location of maximum electric field change with respect to the radius of the ring?

The location of maximum electric field is directly proportional to the radius of the ring. As the radius increases, the location of maximum electric field moves further away from the center of the ring.

3. Is the location of maximum electric field always on the axis of the ring?

No, the location of maximum electric field is not always on the axis of the ring. It can be found at any point along the axis, depending on the radius of the ring and the distance from the center.

4. How does the location of maximum electric field change if the charge on the ring is doubled?

If the charge on the ring is doubled, the location of maximum electric field will stay the same. However, the strength of the electric field at that location will double as well.

5. Can the location of maximum electric field be outside of the ring?

No, the location of maximum electric field will always be on the axis of the ring. It cannot be outside of the ring because the electric field created by a ring of charge is symmetrical and is strongest along the axis of the ring.