In summary: So ##f(x)## is written as a logarithm with positive argument and positive function value. This is all you need.
Helly123

Homework Statement

15_Mat_B_1.4.png

Homework Equations

log_2 x = y
2^y = x
3^2^y

The Attempt at a Solution

log_2 x = y
2^y = x
log_2 {log _3 {log _2 { log_3 {2^y} } } }
what am I suppose to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to work from outside in.

##f(a)= \log_2(a)## for some ##a##. Where is it defined, i.e. which values for ##a## are allowed? Say allowed the values are the set ##A_a##.

Next you have ##f(b) = \log_3(b)## where ##f(b) \in A_a##. What does this mean for ##b##? Say we get allowed values in ##A_b##.

Next you have ##f(c) = \log_2(c)## where ##f(c) \in A_b##. What does this mean for ##c##?

And so on, until ##f(x)=\log_2(\log_3(\log_2(\log_3(\log_2(x))))) = f(e)##. The set ##A_e## is the solution.

fresh_42 said:

##f(a)= \log_2(a)## for some ##a##. Where is it defined, i.e. which values for ##a## are allowed? .
all I know the ' a ' must be greater than zero.
you meant to work it inside out? because the f(e) = is the outside equation , and f(a) = the first log equation.

I meant what I wrote: outside in. (Maybe I had a step too many or a set ##A_*##.)
We have ##f(x) = \log_2(sth.)## at the start. I called that something ##a## which actually is ##a=\log_3(\log_2(\log_3(\log_2(x))))##, but I don't care by now. Then we have, as you've said, ##a > 0##. Now ##a = \log_3(b) > 0## for a new something called ##b##, which is ##b=\log_2(\log_3(\log_2(x)))##. Which ##b## are here allowed? Etc.

fresh_42 said:

##f(a)= \log_2(a)## for some ##a##. Where is it defined, i.e. which values for ##a## are allowed? Say allowed the values are the set ##A_a##.

Next you have ##f(b) = \log_3(b)## where ##f(b) \in A_a##. What does this mean for ##b##? Say we get allowed values in ##A_b##.

Next you have ##f(c) = \log_2(c)## where ##f(c) \in A_b##. What does this mean for ##c##?

And so on, until ##f(x)=\log_2(\log_3(\log_2(\log_3(\log_2(x))))) = f(e)##. The set ##A_e## is the solution.
fresh_42 said:
I meant what I wrote: outside in. (Maybe I had a step too many or a set ##A_*##.)
We have ##f(x) = \log_2(sth.)## at the start. I called that something ##a## which actually is ##a=\log_3(\log_2(\log_3(\log_2(x))))##, but I don't care by now. Then we have, as you've said, ##a > 0##. Now ##a = \log_3(b) > 0## for a new something called ##b##, which is ##b=\log_2(\log_3(\log_2(x)))##. Which ##b## are here allowed? Etc.
##f(x) = \log_2(a)##
##a=\log_3(\log_2(\log_3(\log_2(x))))##,
a>0
##a=\log_3(\log_2(\log_3(\log_2(x))))>0##,
##a=\log_3(b)>0##,
3^a = b

##b=\log_2(\log_3(\log_2(x)))>0##,
##b=\log_2(c)>0##,
2^b = c --> 2^(3^a) = c
c>0
##\log_3(\log_2(x)))>0##

##c = \log_3(\log_2(x)))>0##
c = ##\log_3(d)>0##
3^c = d
3^2^(3^a) = d
d>0
##(\log_2(x)))>0##

##d=(\log_2(x)))##
2^d = x
2^3^2^(3^a) = x
x>0

?

If ##a = \log_3(b) > 0##, then ##b=3^a>3^0=1##. And if ##b = \log_2(c) > 1## then ##c>2## ...

Likes Helly123
@fresh_42 thanks! I never thought i'll solved it

why not include
f(x) = log 2 (a)
2^a = f(x) ?

You included it, as you said ##a>0##, which is the first condition. Here ##f(a)=\log_2(a)## has still all reals as possible values. But in order to have a number ##a>0## written as another logarithm, the next one ##a=\log_3(b)\; , \;b>0## isn't sufficient, because e.g. ##\log_3(\frac{1}{3}) = -1## which isn't positive. So ##b## has to be at least ##1##.

Likes Helly123
fresh_42 said:
You included it, as you said ##a>0##, which is the first condition. Here ##f(a)=\log_2(a)## has still all reals as possible values. But in order to have a number ##a>0## written as another logarithm, the next one ##a=\log_3(b)\; , \;b>0## isn't sufficient, because e.g. ##\log_3(\frac{1}{3}) = -1## which isn't positive. So ##b## has to be at least ##1##.
I meant something like this :
your answer : f(x) = ##log_2 (log_3 (log_2 (log_3(log_2 ( x ) ) ) ) ) ##
##f(x) = log_2 (a) ; a > 0##
##a = log_3 (log_2 (log_3(log_2 ( x ) ) ) )##
##a = log_3 (b)##
b = 3^a
for a > 0, b > 3^0 ; b > 1

##b = log_2 (log_3(log_2 ( x ) ) )##
##b = log_2 (c)##
c = 2^b
##b>1 ; c > 2##

##c = log_3(log_2 ( x ) ) ##
##c = log_3 (d)##
##d = 3^c##
##c>2; d>3^2; d>9 ##

##d = log_2 ( x ) ##
##x = 2^d##
##d>9; x > 2^9 ; x > 512
##

why not include f(x) ?
##f(x) = log_2 (a) ; ##
f(x) > 0
a = 2^(fx) ; a > 1
and b > 3
c > 8
##d > 3^8 ##
x>2^##3^8##

oh, is it the f(x) not need to be more than zero, because after f(x) there's no logarithm anymore. so f(x) for any real numbers, while a need to be ' more than zero ' condition because of logarithm equation?

Not sure I understand your question, but ##512## is the correct answer. The point is that ##f(x)## is written as a logarithm. This means we need a positive argument for this logarithm. Now this logarithm is again written as a logarithm, and it doesn't only need a positive argument, it needs a positive function value, too. Thus it has to be greater than one. Now this logarithm is again written as a logarithm, which means it needs a positive argument and a function value greater than one, which means its argument has to be greater than the base. And so on.

The stronger (as just being positive) requirements all come from the fact, that in order for a logarithm to have positive values, it has to be greater than one. In order for a logarithm to have values greater than one, it has to be greater than the base ##b##. In order for a logarithm to have values greater than ##b##, it has to be greater than ...

Likes Helly123

1. How do you solve a logarithm within a logarithm?

To solve a logarithm within a logarithm, you need to use the power rule of logarithms. This means that you can rewrite the logarithm as an exponent and then use the properties of exponents to simplify the expression.

2. What is the domain of a logarithmic function?

The domain of a logarithmic function is all the values that the input (x) can take. In other words, it is all the possible values that you can plug into the logarithm and get a valid output. For most logarithmic functions, the domain is all positive real numbers.

3. How do you find the maximum domain of a logarithm within a logarithm?

To find the maximum domain of a logarithm within a logarithm, you need to look at the restrictions on the input of both logarithms. The maximum domain is the set of values that satisfy both restrictions. You may need to use algebraic manipulation to determine the maximum domain.

4. What is the difference between a logarithm and an exponential function?

A logarithm is the inverse function of an exponential function. This means that a logarithm "undoes" the action of an exponential function. In other words, if an exponential function raises a base to a power, the logarithm with the same base "undoes" that action by finding the power that the base was raised to.

5. Can you have a negative number as the input of a logarithmic function?

No, the input of a logarithmic function must always be a positive number. This is because the logarithm is the inverse of an exponential function, and an exponential function can only produce positive results. Therefore, the input of a logarithm cannot be negative.