Logarithmic derivative question

In summary, the student is having trouble using the logarithmic derivative to find y' when given a complex quotient. They attempt to use the quotient rule, but struggle with applying the natural logarithm to each term. They also make a mistake by using the chain rule for ln(cos^2x). A tutor helps them by correcting their log rules and explaining how to solve the problem using logarithmic differentiation. The student still struggles with understanding how to get 2ln(cos(x)) and requests a source to further understand the concept.
Diana Dobleve

Homework Statement

1) I am having trouble with the questions, "Use the logarithmic derivative to find y' when y=((e^-x)cos^2x)/((x^2)+x+1)

Homework Equations

(dy/dx)(e^x) = e^x
(dy/dx)ln(e^-x) = -x ?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I believe I put ln on each set of terms (Though I don't know why, so if someone could explain that to me that would be great). So I have lny=ln((e^-x)cosx^2) - ln((x^2)+x+1). And I know for the quotient rule for derivatives I subtract the denominator in the numerator and then square the denominator, so why do I not square the denominator in this case? Now I don't know if I'm suppose to take the natural logs of those or just take their derivatives or one and then the other. Taking the derivative I believe I get something like (1/y)(dy/dx)=(-x * 2cosx * -sinx^2 * 1/cosx^2) - (1/x^2 + 1/x) ... (I used the chain rule for ln(cosx^2) three times). And I suppose I could simplify that a bit, but I'm betting it's wrong so far.

As you probably can tell I'm very very confused so thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Diana Dobleve said:

Homework Statement

1) I am having trouble with the questions, "Use the logarithmic derivative to find y' when y=((e^-x)cos^2x)/((x^2)+x+1)

Homework Equations

(dy/dx)(e^x) = e^x
(dy/dx)ln(e^-x) = -x ?

First I believe I put ln on each set of terms (Though I don't know why, so if someone could explain that to me that would be great). So I have lny=ln((e^-x)cosx^2) - ln((x^2)+x+1). And I know for the quotient rule for derivatives I subtract the denominator in the numerator and then square the denominator, so why do I not square the denominator in this case? Now I don't know if I'm suppose to take the natural logs of those or just take their derivatives or one and then the other. Taking the derivative I believe I get something like (1/y)(dy/dx)=(-x * 2cosx * -sinx^2 * 1/cosx^2) - (1/x^2 + 1/x) ... (I used the chain rule for ln(cosx^2) three times). And I suppose I could simplify that a bit, but I'm betting it's wrong so far.

The problem you wrote down was ##y=((e^{-x})cos^2x)/((x^2)+x+1)##, where did you get a ##ln(cosx^2)##?
First remember that products inside of logs can be broken into sums of logs. This will eliminate the need for most fo the product/quotient rule business and is the primary motivator for this technique.

Diana Dobleve said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(dy/dx)(e^x) = e^x
(dy/dx)ln(e^-x) = -x ?

Hi there Diana.

Logarithmic differentiation can prove useful when you want to find the derivatives of complex looking quotients. You did not quite apply your log rules appropriately if I'm reading those brackets correctly. You should get:

$$\ln(y) = \ln(\frac{e^{-x}cos^2(x)}{x^2 + x + 1}) = ln(e^{-x}cos^2(x)) - ln(x^2 + x + 1) = ln(e^{-x}) + 2ln(cos(x)) - ln(x^2 + x + 1)$$

Now taking the derivative of both sides, you obtain ##\frac{y'}{y} = ?##

RUber said:
The problem you wrote down was ##y=((e^{-x})cos^2x)/((x^2)+x+1)##, where did you get a ##ln(cosx^2)##?
First remember that products inside of logs can be broken into sums of logs. This will eliminate the need for most fo the product/quotient rule business and is the primary motivator for this technique.

Okay, thanks, but I would still have a ln(cosx^2) by doing that right? It would become lne^-x + ln(cosx^2). (cos^2x means the same thing as cosx^2 right? Or do I need to specifically write ((cos^2)x)?

In response to your question about the quotient rule and not seeing the denominator squared on the right hand side, you will see it in your final answer when you multiply back in your original y to solve for y'.
A simple example is ##y= \frac{x^2}{x-1}##, then ##ln y = 2ln (x) - ln (x-1)## and ##\frac{y'}{y} = 2\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{x-1}## so
##y'= y(2\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{x-1})=\frac{x^2}{x-1}(2\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{x-1})##
##=\frac{2x}{x-1}-\frac{x^2}{(x-1)^2}=\frac{2x(x-1)-x^2}{(x-1)^2}## which is the familiar quotient rule.

##cos(x^2) \neq (cos x)^2##
##cos^2x = (cos x)^2##

Zondrina said:
Hi there Diana.

Logarithmic differentiation can prove useful when you want to find the derivatives of complex looking quotients. You did not quite apply your log rules appropriately if I'm reading those brackets correctly. You should get:

$$\ln(y) = \ln(\frac{e^{-x}cos^2(x)}{x^2 + x + 1}) = ln(e^{-x}cos^2(x)) - ln(x^2 + x + 1) = ln(e^{-x}) + 2ln(cos(x)) - ln(x^2 + x + 1)$$

Now taking the derivative of both sides, you obtain ##\frac{y'}{y} = ?##

I understand all of that except how you got 2ln(cos(x)). What rule is that? Or do you have a source I can look at to see why that is?

You need to handle to ##cos^2 x ## term as the square of ##cos x##. Then it follows the product rule.
##ln a^2 = 2 ln a##
This is clear by the product rule for logs.
##ln a^2 = ln( a*a) = ln a + ln a = 2ln a##

RUber said:
You need to handle to ##cos^2 x ## term as the square of ##cos x##. Then it follows the product rule.
##ln a^2 = 2 ln a##
This is clear by the product rule for logs.
##ln a^2 = ln( a*a) = ln a + ln a = 2ln a##
Ooh duh. Okay, now I just have two small questions. So when I differentiate both sides I'm getting: (d/dx)(1/y) = -1 - 2(sinx/cosx) - (2x+1)/((x^2)+x+1). I don't know how to differentiate the 2 in front of the ln, or am I not suppose to differentiate it? And I don't know how to handle (d/dx)(1/y), am I suppose to plug in for y??

1) 2 is a coefficient, so it multiplies the derivative too. Just like the derivative of 2x is 2dx/dx=2.
You don't have 1/y d/dx, look back to your original post, you have 1/y dy/dx.

You are trying to solve for dy/dx and you know y already.

Related to Logarithmic derivative question

What is a logarithmic derivative?

A logarithmic derivative is a mathematical operation that involves taking the derivative of a logarithmic function. It is used to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve.

How is a logarithmic derivative calculated?

The logarithmic derivative of a function f(x) is calculated using the formula (ln(f(x)))'. This means taking the derivative of the natural logarithm of the function. It can also be expressed as f'(x)/f(x).

What is the purpose of using a logarithmic derivative?

The main purpose of using a logarithmic derivative is to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve. It can also be used to find the rate of change of a function at a given point.

What are some common applications of logarithmic derivatives?

Logarithmic derivatives are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics for modeling exponential growth and decay, as well as in optimization problems.

Are there any limitations to using logarithmic derivatives?

One limitation of using logarithmic derivatives is that they can only be applied to functions that are differentiable and have positive values. Additionally, they may not always provide accurate results when used in complex equations with multiple variables.