How Does Logarithmic Differentiation Work with Complex Functions?

This should give you:1/2 (x+y)^(-1/2) + dy/dx = 2x^(2)y + (1 + 2y^(2))dy/dxSolve for dy/dx by subtracting 1/2 (x+y)^(-1/2) from both sides:dy/dx = (2x^(2)y + (1 + 2y^(2))dy/dx) - 1/2 (x+y)^(-1/2)
helpm3pl3ase
1. ln x^(1/5)

= 1/5 ln x which = 1/5 *1/x

so overall it = 1/5x correct??

Iam so lost on this problem.

2. F(y) = y ln (1 + e^y)

any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The first answer is correct. For the second, use the product rule.

Alright thank you.. I have one more question though or some work to check to see if I did this correctly. Its on implicit differentiation:

(x+y)^(1/2) = 1 + x^(2)y^(2)

= 1/2 (x+y)^(-1/2) (1 + dy/dx) = x^(2) (2y dy/dx) + y^(2) (2x)

= 1/2 (x+y)^(-1/2) - x^(2) - y^(2) (2x) = -(1 + dy/dx) + (2y dy/dx)

I can get to this point but I don't know how to simplify to get me dy/dx.

Iam not really sure how to get the dy/dx out of this -(1 + dy/dx) because its one term. Any help is apperciated. Thanks

helpm3pl3ase said:
1/2 (x+y)^(-1/2) (1 + dy/dx) = x^(2) (2y dy/dx) + y^(2) (2x)

Expand the term on the left, and then gather all terms containing dy/dx.

Related to How Does Logarithmic Differentiation Work with Complex Functions?

1. What is logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is a technique used in calculus to differentiate functions that involve logarithms. It allows us to simplify the process of finding derivatives of functions that are difficult to differentiate using traditional methods.

2. How is logarithmic differentiation used?

Logarithmic differentiation is commonly used to find derivatives of functions that involve products, quotients, and powers of logarithmic functions. It is also useful for finding derivatives of functions that have complex or nested logarithmic expressions.

3. What is the general formula for logarithmic differentiation?

The general formula for logarithmic differentiation is:

d/dx(ln u) = u'/u

where u is the function in which we want to find the derivative of.

4. Can logarithmic differentiation be used for any function?

No, logarithmic differentiation can only be used for functions that involve logarithms. It is not a universal method for finding derivatives and may not work for all types of functions.

5. What are the advantages of using logarithmic differentiation?

The main advantage of using logarithmic differentiation is that it simplifies the process of finding derivatives of complex functions. It also allows us to differentiate functions that would be difficult to differentiate using traditional methods. Additionally, logarithmic differentiation can help us identify patterns and relationships between different functions.