How can y be written as a function of x?

• B
  • Thread starter Ad VanderVen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, ##x## can be represented as a function ##f(\alpha)## of ##\alpha## and ##y## can be represented as a function ##g(\alpha)## of ##\alpha##. However, it is not possible to find a direct formula for ##y## as a function of ##x##. Instead, an abstract formula of ##y=g(f^{-1}(x))## can be used. With the range of ##\alpha##, a polynomial or other function can be fitted for desired accuracy. Using Mathematica's ##\texttt{NSolve}##, a set of solutions for ##\alpha(x)## can be found, one of which is given by ##\alpha(x)=
Ad VanderVen
TL;DR Summary
##x## is a function ##f(\alpha)## of ##\alpha## en ##y## is a function ##g(\alpha)## of ##\alpha##. How can ##y## be written as a function of ##x##?
##x## is a function ##f(\alpha)## of ##\alpha##:

$$\displaystyle x\, = \,\ln \left( {{\rm e}^{ 0.6931471806\,{\alpha}^{-1}}}-{{\rm e}^{ 0.2876820724\,{\alpha}^{-1}}} \right)$$

and ##y## is a function ##g(\alpha)## of ##\alpha##:
$$\displaystyle y\, = \,\ln \left( {{\rm e}^{ 1.386294361\,{\alpha}^{-1}}}-{{\rm e}^{ 0.6931471806\,{\alpha}^{-1}}}\\
\mbox{} \right)$$

How can ##y## be written as a function of ##x##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You show parameter representation of x and y.
I am afraid we may not get direct formula of y(x). Or are you satisfied with the abstract formula
[tex]y=g(f^{-1}(x))[/tex]?

Likes Delta2
If you have the range of ##\alpha## you can fit a polynomial -- or something else, depending on required accuracy :rolleyes: ?

##\ ##

Mathematica's ##\texttt{NSolve}## for ##\alpha(x)## returns a set of solutions for ##a=1/2## and ##b=3/2## one of which is
$$
\alpha(x)=\frac{1}{2 \left(\log \left(\frac{\sqrt[3]{\frac{2}{3}}}{\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{3} \sqrt{27 e^{2 x}-4}-9 e^x}}+\frac{\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{3} \sqrt{27 e^{2 x}-4}-9 e^x}}{\sqrt[3]{2} 3^{2/3}}\right)+2 i \pi c_1\right)}\text{ if }c_1\in \mathbb{Z}
$$

then ##\displaystyle y(x)=\log\bigg(e^{\frac{c}{\alpha(x)}}-e^{\frac{d}{\alpha(x)}}\bigg)##.

You can rationalize your real coefficients (as NSolve may not be able to solve for alpha with real coefficients) such as:

Mathematica:
In[41]:= theA = Rationalize[0.6931471806, 10^-10]
Out[41]= 108926/157147
N[theA,10]
Out[42]= 0.6931471807

and use the rational forms in ##\texttt{NSolve}## and go from there.

Last edited:
Just to point out, this would be a little easier to think about it you didn't obscure the fact that those e , to the crazy decimals are really just 4, 2 and 4/3.

I don't actually have any good ideas for you though.

• Haha
Likes BvU
Ad VanderVen said:
How can ##y## be written as a function of ##x##?
If you follow @Office_Shredder's advice and simplify, you get, to at least 3 significant digits (you can do more but I didn't want to bother),

y = .406x

• Skeptical
Likes BvU

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two or more variables, where each input (or independent variable) has exactly one output (or dependent variable).

2. How can I determine if y is a function of x?

To determine if y is a function of x, you can use the vertical line test. If a vertical line can be drawn through the graph and only intersect the graph at one point, then y is a function of x.

3. What does it mean to write y as a function of x?

Writing y as a function of x means expressing y in terms of x, where x is the independent variable and y is the dependent variable. This allows us to understand how y changes as x changes.

4. How do I find the equation for y as a function of x?

To find the equation for y as a function of x, you can use the given information about the relationship between x and y to create an equation. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation or by using a graphing calculator to find the best fit line.

5. Can y be written as a function of x if there is no direct relationship between the two variables?

No, y can only be written as a function of x if there is a direct relationship between the two variables. If there is no relationship or if there are multiple outputs for the same input, then y cannot be written as a function of x.