Logarithmic IV graphs of diodes

In summary: It's possible that the physical significance of the logarithmic behavior is that it is a fundamental property of semiconductors. It might also be related to the fact that current grows logarithmically as voltage is increased.
OwlsInATrenchcoat
TL;DR Summary
If we plot logI against V for a diode we get a straight line, but what does that mean?
Hello there,
I've been working through a task (that doesn't have an answer sheet or explanation) in which we plot I against V for three different diodes. Each has a different threshold voltage and displays the usual charcteristic curve. The final question is this:
"It is suggested that the behviour of a diode is logarithmic. Plot a graph of I against V using a base 10 logarithmic scale for the current axis. Discuss whether your graph supports this suggestion."

So, if you do this for the data given you get three straight lines with similar gradients. So I'd say 'Yes, this behaviour appears to be logarithmic'.

But, what does this mean? What is the physical significance? What else can we look at that 'grows logarithmically'? How does this compare to exponential growth, perhaps?

Any help or suggestions are welcome :)
~Owls

Attachments

• Voltage against current characteristics for three diodes.xlsx
    18.8 KB · Views: 286
Physics news on Phys.org
OwlsInATrenchcoat said:
Summary:: If we plot logI against V for a diode we get a straight line, but what does that mean?

Hello there,
I've been working through a task (that doesn't have an answer sheet or explanation) in which we plot I against V for three different diodes. Each has a different threshold voltage and displays the usual charcteristic curve. The final question is this:
"It is suggested that the behviour of a diode is logarithmic. Plot a graph of I against V using a base 10 logarithmic scale for the current axis. Discuss whether your graph supports this suggestion."

So, if you do this for the data given you get three straight lines with similar gradients. So I'd say 'Yes, this behaviour appears to be logarithmic'.

But, what does this mean? What is the physical significance? What else can we look at that 'grows logarithmically'? How does this compare to exponential growth, perhaps?

Any help or suggestions are welcome :)
~Owls
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Are you familiar with the Diode Equation? It's fundamental to the operation of semiconductor junctions (like your diode):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shockley_diode_equation

1602789352523.png

OwlsInATrenchcoat said:
Summary:: If we plot logI against V for a diode we get a straight line, but what does that mean?

I'm not sure about "significance". The relationship between two variables happens to be logarithmic. That is no more significant than the square law relationship between distance and time under constant acceleration. Log or exponential relationship is just the result of doing what's allowed in any equations - the same thing to each side.

Last edited:
OwlsInATrenchcoat said:
It means that if you plot the log of an exponential on a log scale, you get a straight line.
A derivation of the diode equation would help with that question.

1. What is the purpose of a logarithmic IV graph for diodes?

A logarithmic IV graph for diodes is used to visualize the relationship between the voltage and current in a diode, which is typically non-linear. It allows for a better understanding of the behavior of the diode and can be used to determine important parameters such as the diode's forward voltage and reverse saturation current.

2. How is a logarithmic IV graph created for a diode?

To create a logarithmic IV graph for a diode, the voltage and current measurements are plotted on a logarithmic scale. This means that the increments on the x-axis (voltage) and y-axis (current) increase exponentially, rather than linearly. This helps to better visualize the non-linear behavior of the diode.

3. What information can be obtained from a logarithmic IV graph of a diode?

A logarithmic IV graph of a diode can provide information such as the diode's forward voltage, reverse saturation current, and the diode's breakdown voltage. It can also show the diode's behavior under different conditions, such as varying temperatures or different levels of illumination.

4. How does the shape of a logarithmic IV graph change for different types of diodes?

The shape of a logarithmic IV graph can vary depending on the type of diode being used. For example, a Zener diode will have a different shape compared to a regular diode due to its unique breakdown behavior. Additionally, the temperature and other external factors can also affect the shape of the graph.

5. How can a logarithmic IV graph be used to troubleshoot diode circuits?

A logarithmic IV graph can be used to troubleshoot diode circuits by comparing the graph of a known good diode with the graph of the diode in question. If the two graphs do not match, it can indicate a potential issue with the diode, such as a faulty connection or damage. This can help in identifying and fixing problems in diode circuits.