Graphing Current v. Time for simple 2R1C circuit

In summary, the conversation is discussing the graphing of current in resistor R1 when the switch is closed. It is mentioned that R0 can be ignored and that the capacitor will acquire a potential difference of V. It is also discussed that the current through the capacitor will eventually stop flowing and that the resulting graph will be logarithmic with an asymptote at y=V/R. The conversation also touches on arguments about current splitting and how the capacitor and battery can be treated as equipotential points. It is concluded that the capacitor will not be charged to the battery's potential and that the current through R1 can be found at the instant of the switch closure.
friendbobbiny
1. Homework Statement
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeYecBuDt6SXJHl5Tz6a3phyqzIa0vuhg8heKhFXMdLkjY4GnR.png

The switch is closed. Graph the current in [itex]R_{1}[/itex]

2. Homework Equations

[itex] V = IR [/itex]
[itex] CV = Q [/itex]
3. The Attempt at a Solution

1) [itex]R_{0}[/itex] can be ignored
a) The resistor simply reduces the voltage before any current can be split.
b) We're justified, as a result, in imagining that [itex]R_{0}[/itex] were removed.2) Through the branch with C and [itex]R_{2}[/itex], current will eventually stop flowing
a) Capacitor C will acquire a potential difference of V
b) When that happens, Kirchoff's loop rule -- that voltage drops and gains belonging to a circuit LOOP sum to zero -- won't need to be fulfilled by having current pass through [itex]R_{2}[/itex]
c) When current doesn't pass through [itex]R_{2}[/itex], the branch can't be completed and current won't flow through it at all

d) Is this sound reasoning? Or, is it the case that current does continue flowing through the capacitor but just won't go any further?

3) If current doesn't enter the capacitor, more of it enters [itex]R_{1}[/itex], our resistor of interest
a) The current entering [itex]R_{1}[/itex] will change at the rate that current decreases the capacitor C.
b) Eventually, current approaches an asymptote: V/R4) The resulting graph is logarithmic, except that it has an asymptote at y = [itex]V/R[/itex]

Note! Do not rely on this graph. Just frames the idea.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUVbgxFUlBU8Zi8I5YMaz30DonACan0ouEDokGL-nRp-QDwejR.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If R0 can be ignored (?) then the voltage across R1 would simply be the battery voltage, constant.

You show a graph. How did you determine that it should start at that negative potential?

Capacitor C will eventually acquire a potential difference of V? Only if R0 is zero.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
If R0 can be ignored (?) then the voltage across R1 would simply be the battery voltage, constant.

Doesn't the current that would otherwise enter the cacpacitor enter the resistor?

As current going through the cacpacitor decreases, doesn't it increase through the resistor?

friendbobbiny said:
Doesn't the current that would otherwise enter the cacpacitor enter the resistor?

As current going through the cacpacitor decreases, doesn't it increase through the resistor?
Not really. The total current provided by the voltage source (and flowing through R0) will change over time. So your argument doesn't lead to concrete predictions. What if the initial source current is greater than the final current? Will the conjectured increase in proportion of the R1 current make up for the decrease in total current available at the "split"?

Approach the problem in the standard fashion.

Assume that the capacitor is initially uncharged (Vc = 0). At time t = 0 the switch closes. What does the capacitor look like at time t = 0+? So what does the circuit look like at t = 0+? What's the current in R1?

After a long time the circuit reaches steady state. What does the capacitor look like at steady state? So what does the circuit look like then? What is the current through R1 at steady state?

Check the current through R0 at t = 0+ and at steady state. Are they the same? How does that affect your argument about current splitting?

Likes friendbobbiny
gneill said:
Assume that the capacitor is initially uncharged (Vc = 0). At time t = 0 the switch closes. What does the capacitor look like at time t = 0+? So what does the circuit look like at t = 0+? What's the current in R1?

After a long time the circuit reaches steady state. What does the capacitor look like at steady state? So what does the circuit look like then? What is the current through R1 at steady state?

[itex] V - I_{0}R_{0} - I_{1}R_{1} = 0 [/itex]
[itex] V - I_{0}R_{0} - Q/C - I_{2}R_{2} = 0 [/itex]
[itex] I_{0} = I_{1} + I_{2} [/itex]

So

[itex] V - I_{0}R_{0} = I_{1}R_{1} [/itex]
Substitute this into Equation #2
and
[itex] I_{1}R_{1} = Q/C + I_{2}R_{2} [/itex]

but Q = 0. So
[itex] I_{1}R_{1} = I_{2}R_{2} [/itex]

The resistors are in parallel and can be resolved easily.

The outcome will [itex] > 0 [/itex]Eventually, the branch through the capacitor will stop flowing, because the capacitor will be fully charged. (Just because it's fully charged (at the battery's voltage, consequently), why will current stop flowing?) I'm not convinced by an explanation I found:

That capacitor and battery can be treated as equipotential points -- so that charges between them have no reason to move anywhere. I'd reason that charges should continue along the low-resistance wire and then lose their energy upon going through the capacitor. Thus, charges should still flow but not continue.

When the capacitor's voltage = the battery's voltage, current will be constant and given by [itex] V /(R_{0} + R_{1}) [/itex]

friendbobbiny said:
[itex] V - I_{0}R_{0} - I_{1}R_{1} = 0 [/itex]
[itex] V - I_{0}R_{0} - Q/C - I_{2}R_{2} = 0 [/itex]
[itex] I_{0} = I_{1} + I_{2} [/itex]

So

[itex] V - I_{0}R_{0} = I_{1}R_{1} [/itex]
Substitute this into Equation #2
and
[itex] I_{1}R_{1} = Q/C + I_{2}R_{2} [/itex]

but Q = 0. So
[itex] I_{1}R_{1} = I_{2}R_{2} [/itex]

The resistors are in parallel and can be resolved easily.

The outcome will [itex] > 0 [/itex]
I was hoping more for an expression for the current through R1 at the instant t = 0+.
At the instant of the switch closure the capacitor will behave as a piece of wire. You should be able to find an expression for the current through R1.
Eventually, the branch through the capacitor will stop flowing, because the capacitor will be fully charged. (Just because it's fully charged (at the battery's voltage, consequently), why will current stop flowing?) I'm not convinced by an explanation I found:

That capacitor and battery can be treated as equipotential points -- so that charges between them have no reason to move anywhere. I'd reason that charges should continue along the low-resistance wire and then lose their energy upon going through the capacitor. Thus, charges should still flow but not continue.
The capacitor will NOT be charged to the battery's potential. There's a voltage divider between the battery and the capacitor branch.

Current will not flow "uphill" against a potential difference. Charges will never flow though a capacitor (unless there's a component failure). Charges can only accumulate on the plates or be removed from the plates. Current "through" a capacitor is the result of the electric field of the charges on one plate influencing the charges on the opposite plate. This results in potential differences across the capacitor.

Charges moving onto a capacitor plate increase the potential difference across the capacitor. Once the capacitor's potential difference reaches that of the source of the charges no further charges can flow to the capacitor --- they would be flowing "uphill" as any additional charge must increase the potential difference and the charge would be compelled to flow back "downhill". An equilibrium with no net current to or from the capacitor is established.

When the capacitor's voltage = the battery's voltage, current will be constant and given by [itex] V /(R_{0} + R_{1}) [/itex][/QUOTE]
Again, the capacitor voltage cannot reach that of the source voltage under any time. The voltage divider comprised by R0 and R1 precludes this possibility. But your expression for the current at steady state is correct :)

Related to Graphing Current v. Time for simple 2R1C circuit

1. What is a 2R1C circuit?

A 2R1C circuit is a simple electrical circuit that contains two resistors (R) and one capacitor (C). It is commonly used in electronics to filter out unwanted signals or to create a time delay.

2. How do you graph current v. time for a 2R1C circuit?

To graph current v. time for a 2R1C circuit, you will need to use a graphing tool such as a graphing calculator or software. The horizontal axis represents time and the vertical axis represents current. You can use the equations for capacitor charging and discharging to plot the current values at different time intervals.

3. What is the purpose of graphing current v. time for a 2R1C circuit?

The purpose of graphing current v. time for a 2R1C circuit is to visualize and analyze the behavior of the circuit. It can help us understand how the current changes over time and how different components affect it. This information is useful for designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

4. How does the value of the resistors and capacitor affect the graph of current v. time?

The value of the resistors and capacitor can affect the graph of current v. time in several ways. A higher resistance will result in a slower charging and discharging of the capacitor, leading to a flatter curve on the graph. A larger capacitor will take longer to charge and discharge, resulting in a wider curve on the graph. Changing these values can also affect the amplitude and frequency of the current.

5. What are some common applications of 2R1C circuits?

2R1C circuits have many applications in electronics, such as in power supplies, audio amplifiers, and timing circuits. They are also used in filters for removing noise from signals and in integrator and differentiator circuits for mathematical operations. Additionally, 2R1C circuits are commonly used in electronic appliances and devices for controlling the flow of electricity.