Logic gates, inverting output without increasing transistor count

In summary, the conversation discusses the reduction of a logic gate expression and the use of NAND and NOR gates to achieve the desired output without using extra transistors. The possibility of using an OR gate instead of a NOR gate is also mentioned, and the suggestion of drawing out the arrangement to identify areas for minimizing the number of gates is given. The option of converting B'.C' to a NOR gate is mentioned as a solution.
sandy.bridge

Homework Statement

Hello all,
I have the following logic gates:
(A'.(B+C))' which I had reduced to A+B'.C'. I then want use a NAND gate connected to a NOR gate, then connected to an inverted. However, I have been informed that I need not to use ten transistors, and that 8 can get the job done. How exactly can I invert the output after the NOR gate without the addition of new transistors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use an OR gate instead of NOR + NOT?

Otherwise, draw the arrangement you propose using, and you may be able to spot where you can economize on the number of gates.

B'.C' can be converted to a NOR

Last edited:
Thanks, I managed to get it. It was a lot more simple upon developing and then utilizing a truth table.

1. What is a logic gate?

A logic gate is an electronic component that implements a Boolean function, which is a mathematical operation on binary inputs (0 and 1). It is the fundamental building block of digital circuits and is used to perform logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT.

2. What does inverting output mean in logic gates?

Inverting output refers to the operation of a logic gate that produces an output that is the opposite of its input. For example, if the input is 0, the output would be 1, and vice versa.

3. How can the output of a logic gate be inverted without increasing the transistor count?

This can be achieved by using a complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) technology. In CMOS, two transistors (a P-type and an N-type) are used to implement each logic gate, with one acting as a pull-up and the other as a pull-down. By properly connecting these two transistors, the output can be inverted without increasing the transistor count.

4. What are the advantages of inverting output without increasing transistor count?

One of the major advantages is that it allows for the creation of more complex logic circuits without increasing the physical size or cost. It also consumes less power and produces less heat, making it more energy-efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to inverting output without increasing transistor count?

One limitation is that it may increase the propagation delay, which is the time it takes for the output to respond to a change in input. This can affect the overall speed of the circuit. Additionally, implementing this technique may require more complex circuit design and may not be suitable for all types of logic gates.