Logical Implication: Evaluating Truth of Claims

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    implication
In summary, the two claims being discussed are related to logical implication and the truth values of $\alpha$, $\beta$, and $\gamma$ in different interpretations. The first claim states that if $\alpha$ implies $\beta$ implies $\gamma$, then $\alpha$ and $\beta$ together imply $\gamma$. The second claim discusses the relationship between $\alpha$ and $\beta$ together implying $\gamma$ and $\alpha$ or $\beta$ individually implying $\gamma$. It is concluded that while the first claim holds by definition, the second claim is not necessarily true and depends on the truth values of $\alpha$, $\beta$, and $\gamma$.
Yankel
Hello all,

I am trying to find if the following two claims are true or false:

1) If
\[\alpha \models \left ( \beta \rightarrow \gamma \right )\]
then
\[\alpha ,\beta \models \gamma\]

2) If
then
\[\alpha \vee \beta \models \gamma\]

where \[\models\] is logical implication, meaning that if everything on the left side of the operator is T, then whatever on the right side is also T.

I cannot build truth tables, because \[\alpha ,\beta ,\gamma\] are not necessarily atoms.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
1) If
then
\[\alpha ,\beta \models \gamma\]
This holds by definition of $\models$ and $\to$. Suppose $\alpha\models \beta\to\gamma$. This means that for every interpretation $I$, if $I\models\alpha$, then $I\models\beta\to\gamma$. But the latter statement means that if $I\models\beta$, then $I\models\gamma$. Thus, if $I\models\alpha$ and $I\models\beta$, then $I\models\gamma$, or $\alpha,\beta\models\gamma$.

In general, $\alpha\models\beta$ iff $\models\alpha\to\beta$ (i.e., $\alpha\to\beta$ is true in every interpretation). In this sense, the connective $\to$ formalizes (i.e., is an analog on the level of the formal language being studied) the concept of logical implication $\models$. Also, $\alpha\land\beta\to\gamma$ is equivalent to $\alpha\to(\beta\to\gamma)$, i.e., these formulas are true in the same interpretations.

Yankel said:
2) If
then
\[\alpha \vee \beta \models \gamma\]
According to the above, $\alpha\models\beta\to\gamma$ is equivalent to $\alpha\land\beta\models\gamma$. Can you decide if this implies $\alpha\lor\beta\models\gamma$ and vice versa?

I am not sure. Is there a way to see it using a truth table?

Consider when $\gamma$ is $\alpha\land\beta$.

I see what you mean, so it ain't true, is it ? I need both [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] to be true, while [tex]\lor[/tex] requires that at least one is true, not necessarily both.

Last edited:
Yankel said:
I see what you mean, so it ain't true, is it ? I need both [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] to be true, while [tex]\lor[/tex] requires that at least one is true, not necessarily both.
You are right, \(\displaystyle \alpha\lor\beta\not\models\alpha\land\beta\) in general, in particular, when $\alpha$ and $\beta$ are propositional variables. If $\alpha$ and $\beta$ are formulas, this implication may sometimes be true, for example, when $\alpha$ and $\beta$ are tautologies.

1. What is logical implication?

Logical implication is a type of relationship between two statements, where the truth of one statement (called the antecedent) leads to the truth of another statement (called the consequent). It is denoted as "if A, then B" or "A implies B".

2. How do you evaluate the truth of a logical implication?

To evaluate the truth of a logical implication, you need to consider the truth values of both the antecedent and consequent statements. If the antecedent is true and the consequent is also true, then the logical implication is true. If the antecedent is false, the logical implication is automatically true, regardless of the truth value of the consequent.

3. Is logical implication the same as causation?

No, logical implication is not the same as causation. While causation involves a cause-and-effect relationship, logical implication only considers the truth values of statements.

4. Can a logical implication have a false antecedent and a true consequent?

Yes, a logical implication can have a false antecedent and a true consequent. In this case, the logical implication is still considered true because the antecedent does not necessarily determine the truth of the consequent.

5. How is logical implication used in scientific reasoning?

Logical implication is an important tool in scientific reasoning as it allows scientists to make conclusions based on evidence. By evaluating the truth of claims using logical implication, scientists can determine whether a hypothesis is supported by the available evidence or not.