Logical partitions for an external disk

In summary: Thank you.In summary, Windows does not support the thing you want to do. Kludging together a system level thing that the OS doesn't really want to do is asking for trouble. Even if you get it to work it may fail catastrophically after some future system update.
mech-eng
Hello. Is it possible to create logical partitions for an external storage such as an SD Card? When I take a back up, I format the disk instead of deleting the old data because deletion takes too much time compared to formatting. Then I do a copy-and-paste new data to the disk evacuated from old data. If I have logical parts on the disk I could just format that parts so I can take better and faster backups.

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You could also use a backup program. Then you only have to transfer the changed data.

BoB

Would you please check and explain what is wrong?

partition wizard.png

I cannot see J even though it has been formatted.
drives.png

I can only see F. What configurations should I choose to make disk divided into partitions?

Thank you.

Attachments

• partition wizard.png
    partition wizard.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 725
  • drives.png
    drives.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 639
What is wrong I am doing to create a partition? When I try I take this notification

part mag.png

I searched for that notification but I didn't find a good explanation for my case.

Thank you.

Attachments

• part mag.png
    part mag.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 622
It seems clear. It says the a Windows limitation prevents the recognition of multiple partitions in a removable disk. Is this related to your other posts about making backups of an SD card?
The reason I ask is that I have horror stories about home-grown backup procedures failing. Simple is better and your approach is getting complicated. Using professional backup tools is always recommended.

FactChecker said:
It seems clear. It says the a Windows limitation prevents the recognition of multiple partitions in a removable disk.

Does this mean there is no way to do such a thing? I watch a video doing this I will add.

FactChecker said:
Is this related to your other posts about making backups of an SD card? The reason I ask is that I have horror stories about home-grown backup procedures failing. Simple is better and your approach is getting complicated. Using professional backup tools is always recommended.

Yes, all posts under this thread are related to each other. What do you mean by home-grown backup procedures? Do you mean amateurishly invented backup methods? I will ask about backup procedures in another thread. Here let's discuss about partitions.

In this video it is being done.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
mech-eng said:
I will ask about backup procedures in another thread. Here let's discuss about partitions.

We all understand you want to talk about partitions here but you are asking about using them for some sort of DIY backup scheme. We don't want to encourage you to do something that is illogical.

That said Windows does not support the thing you want to do. Kludging together a system level thing that the OS doesn't really want to do is asking for trouble. Even if you get it to work it may fail catastrophically after some future system update.

BoB

Likes FactChecker
rbelli1 said:
Even if you get it to work it may fail catastrophically after some future system update.
Yeah. What he said.

Likes SammyS and rbelli1
mech-eng said:
What do you mean by home-grown backup procedures? Do you mean amateurishly invented backup methods?
Actually I misrepresented the situation. We had a very professional system administration group. Unfortunately, the computers that we used were very specialized and the current operating systems like Unix and Windows with backup utilities were not available then. Even with professional programmers, there were some very serious errors in the backup processes they used. If you create your own process, my advice is to test it thoroughly and don't allow any hardware or OS changes without thoroughly testing it first.

That being said, if you keep full copies occasionally and will not suffer terribly if all changes except the last full copy are lost, then feel free to do your own thing. Just make sure that your full copy process is simple and foolproof. Backups are a subject where errors can cause a lot of grief, depending on the situation.

Last edited:
rbelli1 said:
We all understand you want to talk about partitions here but you are asking about using them for some sort of DIY backup scheme. We don't want to encourage you to do something that is illogical.

That said Windows does not support the thing you want to do. Kludging together a system level thing that the OS doesn't really want to do is asking for trouble. Even if you get it to work it may fail catastrophically after some future system update.

BoB

Did you watch the vid I added? How can people do this with that program, not taking that notification: The new created partition does not used in Windows ...?

Windows have a in-built tool to create partitions in internal hard drive. So if the special program cannot do this for extrernal ones, isn't it a little tomfoolery to develop and release such programs?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Did you watch the vid I added?

Why would anyone want to help someone who a) consistently ignores our advice, and b) gets snotty when things don't go his way when the advice is ignored? The thing that is standing in your way more than any other is your attitude. If you change it, things will go better. If you keep doing what you're doing, you will have similar results to what you are having now. Up to you.

rbelli1 said:
Windows does not support the thing you want to do

This is important.

Likes SammyS
mech-eng said:
Did you watch the vid I added? How can people do this with that program, not taking that notification: The new created partition does not used in Windows ...?

Windows have a in-built tool to create partitions in internal hard drive. So if the special program cannot do this for extrernal ones, isn't it a little tomfoolery to develop and release such programs?

Thank you.
Your intellectual curiosity is a good thing. But please be cautious. Your original goal was to improve the security of your data. This seems to be getting into some dangerous areas that may not improve the security of your data. So experiment in ways that do not jeopardize your data.

PS. I don't know if you have ever experienced the feeling that you may have just wiped out half a year of work. I have experienced it more times than I want to admit. At that point in time, the backups either make your day or ruin your day. Please be careful.

Last edited:
mech-eng said:
Did you watch the vid I added?

Yes. The person that made the video is using a specific set of hardware and OS version. You are using a different set of hardware and OS version.

The third party software may or may not work as well for you as it did him. If this was just for general use I would say go for it. For backup it is a really bad idea.

BoB

Likes mech-eng

What is a logical partition for an external disk?

A logical partition for an external disk is a way to divide a single physical disk into multiple virtual partitions. It allows the user to organize and manage their data more efficiently by creating separate storage areas for different types of files.

Why would someone use logical partitions for an external disk?

Logical partitions for an external disk are useful for several reasons. They allow for better organization of data, as well as the ability to have multiple operating systems installed on the same physical disk. They also provide a level of protection against data loss, as issues with one partition may not affect the others.

How do you create a logical partition for an external disk?

To create a logical partition for an external disk, you will need to use partitioning software. This software will allow you to specify the size and location of the partition on the physical disk. It is important to note that creating a logical partition will erase any data currently on the disk, so it is recommended to back up important files before proceeding.

Can a logical partition be resized or deleted?

Yes, a logical partition can be resized or deleted using partitioning software. This can be useful if you need to free up space on a partition or want to merge multiple partitions into one. However, it is important to carefully plan and backup your data before making any changes to the partition.

Are there any limitations to using logical partitions for an external disk?

There are a few limitations to using logical partitions for an external disk. One is that the maximum number of partitions that can be created is limited by the partitioning software and the operating system. Another limitation is that if the physical disk fails, all partitions on that disk may become inaccessible. It is important to regularly back up important data to avoid potential data loss.