Logisim question -- Simulation of a small logic circuit is not working

In summary: N-1 5 2 10If initial state has a single 1, state can only cycle through 001, 010 and 100.If initial state has a single 0, state can only cycle through 110, 101 and 011.If initial state has a single 1, state can only cycle through 001, 010 and 100.If initial state has a single 0, state can only cycle through 110, 101 and 011.
peripatein
I am trying to implement the following circuit in Logisim, yet all I get is y=0. Any idea what might be the problem? First image is what I am trying to implement; second it my Logisim attempt which yields 0. I'd appreciate some feedback.
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled4.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see a problem. Assuming your D-flops start out in state Q = 0, Y = 0 is the correct output for this circuit whether X = 0 or X = 1. What were you expecting this circuit to do?

Your D-F/F inputs are all driven by outputs of F/Fs.
If all F/Fs start with zero, how can you ever get a 1 to break the tradition?

Baluncore said:
Your D-F/F inputs are all driven by outputs of F/Fs.
If all F/Fs start with zero, how can you ever get a 1 to break the tradition?
That's precisely my problem! How do I set the initial state? How do I assign the initial state to the DFFs? This is my very first attempt at designing something synchronous using Logisim and DFFs; could you please guide me through fixing these issues stymieing it from working properly?
I was asked to include a reset button which would initialize the DFFs but how should that be connected? Should I connect a reset to the Preset or Clear of the DFFs?

lewando said:
I don't see a problem. Assuming your D-flops start out in state Q = 0, Y = 0 is the correct output for this circuit whether X = 0 or X = 1. What were you expecting this circuit to do?
Lewando, how do I set the initial state? How do I assign the initial state to the DFFs? Could you please guide me through?

state Q2 Q1 Q0 initial state of F/Fs.
selx0 Q1 Q2 Q0 when clocked, swaps the two bits on the LHS.
selx1 Q2 Q0 Q1 when clocked, swaps the two bits on the RHS.

So the number of ones or zeros remains the same when clocked.
If state is 000 then it stays 000. If state is 111 then it stays 111.

If initial state has a single 1, state can only cycle through 001, 010 and 100.
If initial state has a single 0, state can only cycle through 110, 101 and 011.

The initial state, and how you reach it depends entirely on the application of this state machine.

Baluncore said:
state Q2 Q1 Q0 initial state of F/Fs.
selx0 Q1 Q2 Q0 when clocked, swaps the two bits on the LHS.
selx1 Q2 Q0 Q1 when clocked, swaps the two bits on the RHS.

So the number of ones or zeros remains the same when clocked.
If state is 000 then it stays 000. If state is 111 then it stays 111.

If initial state has a single 1, state can only cycle through 001, 010 and 100.
If initial state has a single 0, state can only cycle through 110, 101 and 011.

The initial state, and how you reach it depends entirely on the application of this state machine.
I am still not sure I understand. It's expected to be the implementation of the FSM found here:
http://www.cs.unca.edu/~bruce/Fall10/255L/Lab5FSM.html
This FSM outputs the quotient of x/3. I know that the implementation is correct I simply don't know how to initialize it in Logisim.

As I understand it, you will clock THREE bits of data sequentially into a TWO bit state machine register that holds the Mod 3 remainder. If your implementation was correct then it would follow the state diagram shown in “Part 2: Your FSM”. You should revisit the state diagram and fill in the truth table so we can see what you are simulating.

Each time you shift the next bit in, you change the mod 3 remainder in a fixed pattern because the shift doubles the value and adds one if the input was one.
Code:
   current      next if 0    next if 1
   N   N mod 3   2N mod 3    2N+1 mod 3
    0    0       0    0       1    1
    1    1       2    2       3    0
    2    2       4    1       5    2
    3    0       6    0       7    1
    4    1       8    2       9    0
    5    2      10    1      11    2
    6    0      12    0      13    1
    7    1      14    2      15    0
    8    2      16    1      17    2
    9    0      18    0      19    1
   10    1      20    2      21    0
   11    2      22    1      23    2
   12    0      24    0      25    1
   13    1      26    2      27    0
   14    2      28    1      29    2
   15    0      30    0      31    1
   16    1      32    2      33    0
   17    2      34    1      35    2
   18    0      36    0      37    1
   19    1      38    2      39    0
   20    2      40    1      41    2

3.jpg

Perhaps this will help. It's certainly relevant and relates directly to the implementation.
001 is the first state (remainder 0), 010 is the second state (remainder 1), 100 is the third state (remainder 2).
What I truly need help with is the Logisim implementation. How do I initiate the system? How do I assign the proper values to the DFFs so it starts from 001?

peripatein said:
What I truly need help with is the Logisim implementation. How do I initiate the system? How do I assign the proper values to the DFFs so it starts from 001?
It does not start at state 001, it starts at state 00.
You are using three D-F/Fs to store three states. 0, 1 and 2.
But you only need two D-F/Fs to store the current state in binary. State = 00, 01 or 10.
The two bits of the current state and the one input bit gives three terms that will be used to determine the next two bit state, the new remainder. The first state will be 00.

Baluncore said:
It does not start at state 001, it starts at state 00.
You are using three D-F/Fs to store three states. 0, 1 and 2.
But you only need two D-F/Fs to store the current state in binary. State = 00, 01 or 10.
The two bits of the current state and the one input bit gives three terms that will be used to determine the next two bit state, the new remainder. The first state will be 00.
You didn't fully read my comment. "001 is the first state (remainder 0), 010 is the second state (remainder 1), 100 is the third state (remainder 2)." It's merely a notation; obviously the first state is 00, second is 01, third is 10, according to the remainder, but this is merely a notation. Replace 001 with 00, 010 with 01, and 100 with 10 and the two notations are perfectly synched. Again, what I need help with is how to initialize it in Logisim. Could you please help?

At the bottom of the D-F/F there are three terminals. Set to one, enable and clear to zero. Use those to set the initial state. You will need to create a reset pulse.

The Set input is not needed if you use two D-F/Fs to hold the state. Then the serial input bit provides the 1 for the 01 state.
If there were 16 states in the engine, would you use 16x D-F/Fs, or just 4x D-F/Fs ?

Baluncore said:
At the bottom of the D-F/F there are three terminals. Set to one, enable and clear to zero. Use those to set the initial state. You will need to create a reset pulse.

The Set input is not needed if you use two D-F/Fs to hold the state. Then the serial input bit provides the 1 for the 01 state.
If there were 16 states in the engine, would you use 16x D-F/Fs, or just 4x D-F/Fs ?
Let's see whether I understand. I create a reset pulse and connect it to the state 00. I also connect the input to the 01 state. I connect a constant '1' to all the Enable's? Is that correct (assuming it's not :-))? Re your question, I would probably use only 4 as I could switch between the different states and won't need per se a F/F for each state.

peripatein said:
Let's see whether I understand. I create a reset pulse and connect it to the state 00.
At the start you reset the state machine to the initial state. You do that by setting state 0.
peripatein said:
I also connect the input to the 01 state.
There are too many interpretations of that sentence, I do not understand what you mean. Connect the input to the input or the output of state or F/F?
peripatein said:
I connect a constant '1' to all the Enable's?
At some point you will need to use the help file and experiment with simple test logic. You will then know the answer to that question. How come F/Fs worked before you found the extra controls?
peripatein said:
Re your question, I would probably use only 4 as I could switch between the different states and won't need per se a F/F for each state.
Then why do you use three for this project, when the state diagram and the current state logic table clearly shows only two being used? This is after all, an exercise in state machines, not ring counters or bi-directional shift registers. It is also a basic introduction to serial arithmetic of long binary numbers.

Related to Logisim question -- Simulation of a small logic circuit is not working

1. Why is my logic circuit not working in the simulation?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure that all of your components are connected properly and that there are no gaps in your circuit. Also, check to see if any of your components are malfunctioning or have incorrect settings. Additionally, make sure that your inputs are set correctly and that you are using the correct logical operators for your desired output.

2. How can I test my logic circuit to see if it is working?

You can use the "simulate" feature in Logisim to test your logic circuit. This will show you the output for various input combinations. You can also use the "probe" tool to see the state of each component in your circuit and troubleshoot any issues.

3. Can I use Logisim to simulate more complex circuits?

Yes, Logisim is a versatile tool that can handle simulations of both simple and complex logic circuits. However, keep in mind that as the complexity of your circuit increases, so does the potential for errors and troubleshooting.

4. How can I save my work on Logisim?

You can save your work in Logisim by using the "File" menu and selecting "Save" or "Save As." This will create a .circ file that you can open and continue working on at a later time.

5. Can I use Logisim to design and simulate digital circuits for real-world applications?

Yes, Logisim can be used for educational purposes to design and simulate digital circuits that could potentially be implemented in real-world applications. However, it is important to note that Logisim is a simulation software and not a physical circuit design tool. So, additional steps would be needed to turn your simulated circuit into a physical one.