Longer pendulum, does frequency need to be increased or

In summary, the answer to the question is that as the length of the pendulum increases, the frequency of the motor needs to be decreased to maintain the same swing rate.
Perseverence
A motor drives a pendulum at its natural frequency and keeps it swinging at a constant rate. If this motor uses a longer pendulum, does a frequency need to be increased or decreased?

I'm assuming that the question is asking whether or not the frequency that the motor drives a pendulum needs to be increased to maintain the same swing rate. I don't know if they're actually asking for something else and I can't see it.

Frequency seems to be inversely proportional to length. So it seems that as length increases frequency will decrease so therefore to maintain the same frequency as the original length the motor will have to increase the frequency. But that is not the answer that is given for the question.

The answer states that increasing the length of the pendulum necessitates decreasing the frequency of the motor.

What am I missing here? The given answer seems wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Perseverence said:
What am I missing here?
Presumably what you are missing is the interpretation of the poorly worded problem statement that implies that the motor is to use the natural frequency of the new length, not force the old frequency onto the new length. That's what "natural frequency" implies but it should have been stated more clearly.

Holy cow! Thank you so much for the explanation. I was completely flummoxed there for a second. The world makes sense again. Thank you thank you thank you thank you!

Perseverence said:
The world makes sense again.
Oh, give it time. That illusion never lasts :smile:

phinds said:
Oh, give it time. That illusion never lasts :smile:
:confused: oh wow. So true. And completely flummoxed by a whole new question. I keep working at becoming one with the love of physics, but it's just not happening. The whole process is so painfully frustrating.

Thank goodness for physics forum to keep us from completely walking over the edge into the abyss of unrelenting confusion

1. What is a longer pendulum and how does it affect frequency?

A longer pendulum refers to a pendulum with a longer length between the pivot point and the center of mass. It affects frequency by increasing the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing, resulting in a decrease in frequency.

2. Why does a longer pendulum result in a decrease in frequency?

A longer pendulum has a larger distance to travel during each swing, which results in a longer period of time for the pendulum to complete one full swing. This longer period of time leads to a decrease in frequency, as frequency is inversely proportional to the period.

3. Does the mass of the pendulum affect the frequency?

Yes, the mass of the pendulum can affect the frequency. A heavier pendulum will have a slower frequency compared to a lighter pendulum, as the increased mass requires more energy to move and therefore takes longer to complete one full swing.

4. How does the length of a pendulum affect its frequency?

The length of a pendulum has a direct effect on its frequency. As the length of the pendulum increases, the time it takes to complete one full swing also increases, resulting in a decrease in frequency. This relationship is known as the "pendulum effect."

5. Can the frequency of a longer pendulum be increased?

Yes, the frequency of a longer pendulum can be increased by decreasing the length or mass of the pendulum. This can be achieved by adjusting the position of the pivot point or by changing the weight attached to the pendulum. However, it is important to note that increasing the frequency of a longer pendulum may also affect its accuracy as a time-keeping device.