Looking for advice on a buck boost transformer....

In summary: Yes, that's what the goal ishello berkeman, we are just seeing if it works. If so, i'll pull the permit, not a big deal.Great, thanks.In summary, this transformer is set up for 480 to 208, but can be converted to 250v to 208v with a simple bucking job. The new installation will require a permit, and you will also need to install some additional wiring in your business to support the new electrical feed. You may also want to consult with your business insurance agent before making this major electrical change.
fastjer
TL;DR Summary
hooking up a 45kva general transformer to buck to 208v
I have a 45kva GE transformer in the pics and here. Its set up for 480 to 208, i need to wire it for 250v to 208v. Could someone please point me to the correct diagrams for this general type of transformer?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
fastjer said:
Summary:: hooking up a 45kva general transformer to buck to 208v

I have a 45kva GE transformer in the pics and here. Its set up for 480 to 208, i need to wire it for 250v to 208v. Could someone please point me to the correct diagrams for this general type of transformer?

Thank you

Welcome to PF. :smile:

It looks like your images are no longer available. Can you use "Attach files" (lower left of window) or provide updated links?

Also, what is the application? What is your background?

Finally, it looks like from your post that you want to do an AC conversion to lower the working voltage of the system, but from your thread title, it sounds like you want to do a DC conversion? Please clarify. Thanks.

124154529_10218414252732171_1940717529288357732_o.jpg
124169505_10218414253012178_5948902519190974146_o.jpg

So, I have tile kilns that run on 208v, but 248v comes into my business. To replace the elements for 208 is pretty pricy. I purchased this transformer pretty cheap, it works, but just need to figure out how to buck the voltage a little and still pull about 45 amps through. This one is set up for 480, so when I hook it up the the 3 phase at my building i get 56v to neutral, or about 112 across two of the output terminals.
Background: 15 years in hvac, degree in ee (a LONG time ago), been wiring small circuits and diagnosing general stuff for a long time

fastjer said:
So, I have tile kilns that run on 208v, but 248v comes into my business. To replace the elements for 208 is pretty pricy. I purchased this transformer pretty cheap, it works, but just need to figure out how to buck the voltage a little and still pull about 45 amps through. This one is set up for 480, so when I hook it up the the 3 phase at my building i get 56v to neutral, or about 112 across two of the output terminals.
Background: 15 years in hvac, degree in ee (a LONG time ago), been wiring small circuits and diagnosing general stuff for a long time
Have you pulled a permit for this electrical work yet? What are your local building codes regarding this upgrade work? Are you familiar with the NEC?

berkeman said:
Have you pulled a permit for this electrical work yet? What are your local building codes regarding this upgrade work? Are you familiar with the NEC?
hello berkeman, we are just seeing if it works. If so, i'll pull the permit, not a big deal.

fastjer said:
hello berkeman, we are just seeing if it works. If so, i'll pull the permit, not a big deal.
Great, thanks.

fastjer said:

So can you say which NEC regulations apply to the new installation? What do you need to install in your business to support this new electrical feed? Also, have you talked with your business insurance agent about this electrical change to your business?

1. What is a buck boost transformer and how does it work?

A buck boost transformer is a type of transformer that can increase or decrease the voltage of an alternating current (AC) electrical circuit. It works by using two separate windings, one for the input voltage and one for the output voltage, and a tap that connects the two windings. By adjusting the tap, the transformer can either step up or step down the voltage.

2. When should I use a buck boost transformer?

A buck boost transformer is typically used when the input voltage is too high or too low for the equipment or appliances that are connected to it. It can also be used to compensate for voltage drops in long electrical lines. Additionally, buck boost transformers are commonly used in renewable energy systems to convert the voltage from solar panels or wind turbines to a usable level.

3. How do I choose the right buck boost transformer for my application?

To choose the right buck boost transformer, you will need to consider the input and output voltage requirements, the power rating, and the frequency of the electrical circuit. You should also consider the type of load that will be connected to the transformer, as some loads may require a specific type of transformer, such as an isolation transformer. It is always best to consult with a qualified electrician or engineer to ensure you select the correct transformer for your specific application.

4. What are the benefits of using a buck boost transformer?

One of the main benefits of using a buck boost transformer is its ability to adjust the voltage to match the specific needs of your equipment or appliances. This can help prevent damage to sensitive equipment and improve overall efficiency. Additionally, buck boost transformers are relatively inexpensive compared to other types of transformers, making them a cost-effective solution for voltage regulation.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a buck boost transformer?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions when using a buck boost transformer. This includes ensuring that the transformer is properly grounded and that all connections are secure and insulated. It is also important to regularly inspect the transformer for any signs of damage or wear and to have it serviced by a qualified professional if necessary. Always refer to the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for specific safety precautions.