Looking for an up-to-date cosmology textbook

In summary: Looks like it will be a good one!yeah that was the book we were discussing above. Looks like it will be a good one!
accdd
I know I should not study cosmology from books that are too dated. Can you recommend an up-to-date cosmology book?
I am studying GR from Carroll's book. Do I need to study astrophysics first or other topics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Scott Dodelson has a new book in bookstores.

Relatively new.

Likes accdd and malawi_glenn
I didn't read Carroll, but I did read Schut'z book and read solutions by Scott's to Schut'z book.
Perhaps I'll give Dodelson a chance, I hope he is better than the teacher who taught me this course.

drmalawi said:
Yes this one.

There are also some books that seem like they cover quite a lot in Astrophysics; I am not sure how to pronounce it: Padmanabhan Theoretical Astrophysics.
And for Gravitational Waves, Maggiore's 2-volume book.

Maybe in the far future I'll buy them, not in my current financial status.

Likes malawi_glenn
I have read this book about 10 years ago https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AHTN3JE/?tag=pfamazon01-20 but I am not that much of an expert in the field of cosmology but I assume the observational values are not up to date here.

This book will be released in october this years, looks good https://www.amazon.com/dp/1108838073/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You also have Riddles book https://www.amazon.com/dp/1118502140/?tag=pfamazon01-20 I had this book (earlier edition) as a side read for my cosmology class in 2007

Likes vanhees71, dextercioby and accdd
accdd said:
I know I should not study cosmology from books that are too dated. Can you recommend an up-to-date cosmology book?
I am studying GR from Carroll's book. Do I need to study astrophysics first or other topics?
Book recommendations are always subjective. My strong recommendation at about the level of Carroll's GR book is Daniel Baumann's brand-new book "Cosmology", which is based on his renowned lecture notes. It would be useful to have been exposed previously to quantum theory at the level of Griffiths' book. Also some previous exposure to thermal and statistical physics might be useful.

drmalawi said:
This book will be released in october this years, looks good https://www.amazon.com/dp/1108838073/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I know that folks in Europe, including Britain, have been receiving delivery, and I think delivery in North America is imminent.

drmalawi said:
You also have Liddles book https://www.amazon.com/dp/1118502140/?tag=pfamazon01-20 I had this book (earlier edition) as a side read for my cosmology class in 2007
This a good book, but its level is quite substantially lower than that of Carroll. This makes it suitable for a side-read, but I do not think that it is suitable as a primary source. (Just my opinion.)

A very nice book that splits the difference between the levels of Baumann and Liddle is Barbara Ryden's award-winning book "Introduction to Cosmology". Roughly, in comparison to GR books, Baumann is at the level of Carroll, while Ryden is at the level of Hartle,

Likes atyy, vanhees71, Demystifier and 2 others
George Jones said:
I know that folks in Europe, including Britain, have been receiving delivery, and I think delivery in North America is imminent.

Yup it is available in my country too. Wondering why Amazon says october 2022?

drmalawi said:
Yup it is available in my country too. Wondering why Amazon says october 2022?
Yes, this is really strange. I am in Canada, and amazon.ca says "June 30 2022." I pre-ordered my copy months ago, but yesterday I received an email that said "We're encountering a delay in shipping your order. We'll make every effort to get the delayed item to you as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I did order and do have the Kindle edition as well (since I don't have to pay).

• Love
Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
Likes Demystifier, Cyosis and vanhees71
atyy said:
Daniel Baumann's Cosmology has just been published.
yeah that was the book we were discussing above

Likes vanhees71 and atyy

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It encompasses a wide range of topics, including the Big Bang theory, the formation of galaxies and stars, and the search for dark matter and dark energy.

2. Why is an up-to-date cosmology textbook important?

An up-to-date cosmology textbook is important because our understanding of the universe is constantly evolving and new discoveries are being made all the time. A textbook that is not up-to-date may contain outdated information and theories, which can hinder a student's understanding and knowledge of the subject.

3. What makes a cosmology textbook up-to-date?

A cosmology textbook is considered up-to-date if it includes the latest scientific research and discoveries in the field. This can include new data from telescopes and space missions, as well as advancements in theoretical models and concepts.

4. How often are cosmology textbooks updated?

The frequency of updates for cosmology textbooks can vary, but it is generally recommended to update them every 5-10 years. This allows for new discoveries and advancements to be incorporated into the textbook, while still providing a stable foundation of knowledge for students.

5. What should I look for in an up-to-date cosmology textbook?

When looking for an up-to-date cosmology textbook, it is important to consider the author's credentials and expertise in the field, as well as the inclusion of recent research and data. It should also be well-written and organized in a way that is easy for students to understand and follow.