Looking for help finding programs

• Thread starter Math_Physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary, the speaker is looking for a PHD program in mathematical physics and is having difficulty finding programs with multiple researchers in the field. They have compiled a list of potential programs and are open to suggestions. They have also considered physics departments for their research and are wondering if there are programs that accept students with a math background. They are determined to find a program that aligns with their interests, despite the challenges.
Math_Physics
Hello,

I am wanting to go into mathematical physics for a PHD in a math department. I have a bachelors in math and soon my masters in math. I am looking for programs to apply to. I am having a hard time finding many. I don't want to go to a school that has only one researcher in the field just in case it doesn't work out. I have a list of ones I have found. If you have any other suggests for me to look into that would be awesome. Thank you!

University of Iowa
University of California Davis
Rutgers
Clarkson

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still surfing through every program I can find with a phd. I have found a couple more that have a decent amount, or at least 3 researchers in mathematical physics.

University of Rochester
University of Waterloo

A friend in my analysis class today suggested to me I should be in a physics department if I want to work on mathematical physics. Is this so? I have looked at in the last few days I think literally close to 100 different departments for mathematics. My eyes are bleeding from this lol. Do physics departments typically do research in mathematical physics? Are there physics programs that will let you in for a masters if you earned a math bachelors and math masters?

I am fairly certain I know what I'm aiming at, but it just seems like it doesn't exist in many math departments.

Any help would be awesome!

Related to Looking for help finding programs

1. How can I find programs that match my research interests?

There are a few ways to go about finding programs that align with your research interests. One option is to search online for universities or organizations that specialize in your field of study. Another option is to attend academic conferences and network with other researchers to learn about programs that may be a good fit for you. Additionally, you can reach out to professors or colleagues for recommendations or browse through academic journals to see which institutions are publishing work in your area of interest.

2. What criteria should I consider when looking for programs?

When searching for programs, it's important to consider factors such as the program's reputation, faculty expertise, funding opportunities, and location. You should also think about the program's curriculum and how well it aligns with your research interests, as well as the resources and facilities available for conducting your research.

3. How important is the program's ranking?

The program's ranking can be a useful indicator of its overall quality, but it should not be the sole deciding factor in your search. It's important to also consider the specific factors that are important to you, such as the program's curriculum and resources, as well as your own research interests and goals. A lower-ranked program may still be a better fit for you if it aligns well with your interests and offers the resources you need for your research.

4. Can I apply to multiple programs?

Yes, you can apply to multiple programs. It's common for researchers to apply to several programs to increase their chances of being accepted. However, be mindful of each program's application deadlines and requirements, and make sure to tailor your application materials to each program to show your interest and fit.

5. How can I improve my chances of being accepted into a program?

To improve your chances of being accepted into a program, it's important to have a strong academic background, relevant research experience, and letters of recommendation from reputable sources. You should also carefully review and follow the program's application guidelines and make sure to showcase your passion and fit for the program in your application materials.