Looking for info on the Betatron nuclear trigger from the early 1950s

• A
  • Thread starter cormsby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
cormsby
A colleague (PhD Physics, no weapons experience) asked me (MA Physics, with DoD work experience) about the Betatron nuclear trigger in the early Fifties. I know it used a toroidal accelerator to produce an electron beam impacting a Beryllium target, but I don't remember (and cannot find) any further details. Any ideas/sources?

Physics news on Phys.org

I found these two:​

Excitation Function for the Photodisintegration of Beryllium​

R. Nathans and J. Halpern​

Phys. Rev. 92, 940 – Published 15 November 1953​

---------------------------------------------------

Detection of Fissioning Materials Using a Neutron Source Based on a Compact Betatron​

Atomic Energy volume 96, pages 127–132 (2004)Cite this article

Abstract​

The possibility of using a neutron source based on a 10 MeV compact betatron and 1 kg heavy water or 3.3 kg beryllium in the betratron bremsstrahlung beam is investigated. The 235U detection limit in a 358 mm in diameter and 782 mm high container with probability 0.997 in an experimental apparatus with one epithermal-neutron detector is 40 mg with exposure 10 min. Increasing the mass of the neutron target to 10 kg heavy water and the number of neutron counters to 25 could decrease the 235U detection limit to 3 mg. A neutron detector based on a compact betatron can be expected to give 235U detection sensitivity 10–8 g/g.
----------------------------------

Likes berkeman and cormsby

1. What is a Betatron nuclear trigger?

A Betatron nuclear trigger is a type of nuclear weapon trigger developed in the early 1950s. It uses a high-energy electron beam to compress and ignite the nuclear fuel, resulting in a nuclear explosion.

2. How does a Betatron nuclear trigger work?

The Betatron nuclear trigger works by generating a powerful magnetic field that accelerates electrons to high speeds. These electrons are then directed onto a target containing nuclear fuel, causing it to undergo a rapid chain reaction and release a large amount of energy.

3. Who invented the Betatron nuclear trigger?

The Betatron nuclear trigger was invented by scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in the United States, including Edward Teller and Stanislaw Ulam, as part of the Manhattan Project.

4. What was the purpose of the Betatron nuclear trigger?

The Betatron nuclear trigger was developed as a way to create more powerful and efficient nuclear weapons. It was used in the first thermonuclear bomb, known as the "Ivy Mike" test, in 1952.

5. Is the Betatron nuclear trigger still in use today?

No, the Betatron nuclear trigger is no longer in use. It was replaced by more advanced nuclear weapon triggers, such as the implosion and thermonuclear triggers, in the late 1950s and 1960s.