Prerequisites for the textbook "Linear Algebra" (2nd Edition)?

In summary, the textbook "Linear Algebra (2nd Edition) 2nd Edition by Kenneth M Hoffman and Ray Kunze requires a strong understanding of proofs and abstract mathematics. It is typically used for upper-division, second courses in linear algebra. If you are not comfortable with proofs, it is recommended to use an easier book. The book "Linear Algebra Done Right" does not have any prerequisites and is a good supplement to learn determinants. Other recommended books to complement learning linear algebra include "Artin: Algebra" and "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Forms" by Hubbard and Hubbard. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics to fully understand and apply the concepts in this textbook.
DartomicTech
Summary:: What pre-requisites are required in order to learn the textbook
"Linear Algebra (2nd Edition) 2nd Edition
by Kenneth M Hoffman (Author), Ray Kunze (Author)"

Sorry if this is the wrong section to ask what the title and subject state. I read some of chapter 1 already, and that all made sense to me. But I don't want to actually start studying it, only to get to a point where I realize that I am missing a lot of needed knowledge to proceed learning the rest of the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks pretty basic to me, so there shouldn't be a problem. Some content seems to be a bit biased towards mathematics, which is o.k. if you study mathematics, but might not be necessary if you study physics.

Likes DartomicTech
fresh_42 said:
It looks pretty basic to me, so there shouldn't be a problem. Some content seems to be a bit biased towards mathematics, which is o.k. if you study mathematics, but might not be necessary if you study physics.
Thanks!

In the US that book tends to be used for upper-division, second courses in linear algebra. It requires you are comfortable with constructing proofs and reading abstract mathematics. If this is your first time learning linear algebra and you aren't comfortable with proofs yet, then I would recommend an easier book.

jason

Likes DartomicTech
I prefer the book Linear Algebra Done Right. No prerequisite, only familiarity with proofs.

Its only shortcoming(can be a strength) is that determinants are relegated to the back of the book. You can easy supplement this with a book such as Artin: Algebra. Chapter 1 talks about matrices and determinants. Chapter 3 Vector Spaces, and Chapter 4 Linear Transformations and its properties.

To get concrete examples in R^n, you can view Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Forms by Hubbard and Hubbard.

These books complement each other well, and you can learn quite a bit of mathematics doing so.

Hubbard and Hubbard is an interesting math book. A must on any shelf. It made it obvious to me that any linear transformation from R^n to R^m can be represented as T(v)=[T]v, where v is the column vector which is an element of R^n, [T] is the mxn matrix associated to the linear transformation T.

Likes DartomicTech

1. What is the recommended background knowledge for studying Linear Algebra?

The recommended background knowledge for studying Linear Algebra includes a strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and basic calculus. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of matrices and vectors.

2. Do I need to have prior knowledge of programming to study Linear Algebra?

No, prior knowledge of programming is not necessary for studying Linear Algebra. However, some knowledge of programming can be helpful for understanding applications of Linear Algebra in fields such as data science and machine learning.

3. Can I study Linear Algebra without any prior knowledge of mathematics?

No, Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics and requires a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts. It is recommended to have a good understanding of algebra, geometry, and basic calculus before studying Linear Algebra.

4. Is it necessary to have access to a textbook for studying Linear Algebra?

While having a textbook can be helpful, it is not necessary to have access to a physical textbook for studying Linear Algebra. There are many online resources and open-source textbooks available for studying Linear Algebra.

5. Are there any specific software or tools required for studying Linear Algebra?

There are no specific software or tools required for studying Linear Algebra. However, having access to a graphing calculator or a computer with software such as MATLAB or Python can be helpful for visualizing and solving problems.