Looking for packages for tensor calculation in Mathematica

In summary, the Tensorial package is widely considered the best choice for performing tensor calculations in Mathematica. It is compatible with all versions of Mathematica and supports both symbolic and numerical forms of tensor calculations. There are various tutorials and resources available for learning how to use the package, and it is designed to efficiently handle large datasets.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
Need packages for tensor calculation in differential geometry for mathematica
Hello. I am doing tensor calculation with indices, such as contraction, lowering or raising indices, tensor production, etc.

I have tried the Ricci.m from https://sites.math.washington.edu/~lee/Ricci/

However, maybe because the package has not been upgraded for some time, I could not get the proper output in Mathematica v12.

Do you know other package? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a tensor in Mathematica?

A tensor in Mathematica is a multidimensional array of elements that can represent various mathematical objects, such as vectors, matrices, and scalars. Tensors are useful for performing calculations in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How do I find packages for tensor calculation in Mathematica?

You can find packages for tensor calculation in Mathematica by searching the Wolfram Library Archive or by browsing the Wolfram Function Repository. You can also search for packages on various online forums and communities dedicated to Mathematica.

3. What are some popular packages for tensor calculation in Mathematica?

Some popular packages for tensor calculation in Mathematica include Tensorial, TensorSimplify, and Ricci. These packages offer a range of functions and methods for manipulating and solving tensor equations.

4. Do I need programming experience to use packages for tensor calculation in Mathematica?

No, you do not need programming experience to use packages for tensor calculation in Mathematica. However, having a basic understanding of Mathematica syntax and functions can be helpful in using these packages effectively.

5. Can I create my own packages for tensor calculation in Mathematica?

Yes, you can create your own packages for tensor calculation in Mathematica using the built-in package editor. This allows you to combine your own functions and methods with existing packages to create a customized package for your specific needs.