Looking for practice problems for "Method of Images" for charges

gunjanaga
Homework Statement: I am looking for practice problems for "Method of images of charges" Please help
Relevant Equations: b=R^2/a q2=-R/aq1

I am preparing for IIT JAM

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the obvious, namely google "Method of images problems"?

Likes PhDeezNutz, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
One thing that you should be aware of - as problems become more advanced, they often require knowing more than one thing, and so do not neatly fall into simple categories. More likely you will find the more general term "boundary value problems" that may or may not lend themselves to the method of images.

Likes PhDeezNutz

What is the "Method of Images" for charges?

The Method of Images is a technique used in electrostatics to solve problems involving charges and conductors. It involves creating a virtual image charge that is used to calculate the electric field and potential at a given point.

How do I determine the location and magnitude of the image charge?

The location and magnitude of the image charge can be determined by using the symmetry of the problem. The image charge should be placed at a location that is the same distance from the conductor as the actual charge, but on the opposite side of the conductor. The magnitude of the image charge can be found by using the principle of charge conservation.

What types of problems can be solved using the Method of Images?

The Method of Images can be used to solve problems involving point charges near a grounded or ungrounded conducting surface, as well as problems involving two or more conductors with fixed potentials.

Are there any limitations to using the Method of Images?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using the Method of Images. It can only be used to solve problems in electrostatics, and it assumes that the conductors are perfect and have no surface charges. It also cannot be used to solve problems involving time-varying fields.

How can I check if my solution using the Method of Images is correct?

One way to check the accuracy of your solution is to use the method of images to solve a simpler, known problem and compare the results. You can also use numerical methods, such as finite element analysis, to verify your solution.