Looking to make a finger exo-skeleton

• Misc.
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the turtle wants to bite your fingers off. You can try a manikin hand, metal forceps, or leather welding gloves to feed her. The cage is just for the basking area.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I want an exo-skeleton for my fingers so I can finger feed my turtle without getting my fingers bitten off.
I want to protect my fingers (just two is fine) from the crushing bite of my 8" Reeves turtle. She can bite hard enough to hurt and can draw blood.

She wants nothing in life so much as to bite fingers, and will readily eschew real live food in favour of fingers. If she thinks she got a finger (when in fact, she's grabbed the chicken wire of her cage), she will pull so hard, that when she lets go, she shoots herself across the cage bass ackwards.
1690931130007.png
But getting fed is the only highlight of her day, and she saves all her energy up for thundering around her basking area when anything remotely likely to have a finger attached to it comes into the room.

I guess the obvious thing is a pair of thimbles but they are rigid and provide zero tactile feedback. They also make it hard to grip food, especially squirmy food.

I tried tweezers but they are very awkward. I keep dropping the food, because, again, rigid and no tactile feedback.

I thought of a chain mail butcher's glove but it won't protect me from crushing damage.

I wonder if a section of garden hose would work? Other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
TL;DR Summary: I want an exo-skeleton for my fingers so I can finger feed my turtle without getting my fingers bitten off.

I thought of a chain mail butcher's glove but it won't protect me from crushing damage.
They look inexpensive enough to give them a try...

1690933647725.png

Or maybe try this Google search to find an articulated manikin hand that you can use to feed turtlezilla...

1690933896581.png

DaveC426913 said:
TL;DR Summary: I want an exo-skeleton for my fingers so I can finger feed my turtle without getting my fingers bitten off.

I tried tweezers but they are very awkward. I keep dropping the food, because, again, rigid and no tactile feedback.
Try a locking hemostat, or long nosed pliers. You can slide a silicone or vinyl tube over the metal, and glue it in place to stop the tube being eaten.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/194614615885

Likes DaveC426913 and berkeman
berkeman said:
They look inexpensive enough to give them a try...

View attachment 329970
I thought of this, but it won't protect me against crushing damage. And the fact that it's tiny bits of metal may result in poor Winnie injuring herself.

DaveC426913 said:
I thought of this, but it won't protect me against crushing damage. And the fact that it's tiny bits of metal may result in poor Winnie injuring herself.
Okay, it's a manekin hand then. Metal forceps probably won't be as satisfying for Winnie as being able to dent those manekin fingers with each meal... :smile:

There are tweezers that will grip what they hold as a default and release when squeezed:
Pretty cheap.
Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 7.08.42 PM.png

Last edited:
Something based on sewing thimbles?

942a-7d00d96a4ea0.f81e6e85c248ac9cd6eb59545439fa5a.jpg

Looks DIY-able, can be extended inward for stronger grip and outward for keeping more distance...
Also gives some tact feedback...

Likes DaveC426913
Well... if you insist on hand feeding instead of just dropping food in the cage, try leather welding gloves. They tend to be stiff and thick enough to spread the crushing force over a fair area. If insufficient, add winter-weather skiing gloves for an inner layer.

p.s. That looks like an awfully small cage for the turtle, less than 3 times its size? And I'll bet the natural habitat is not a plank floor.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
p.s. That looks like an awfully small cage for the turtle, less than 3 times its size? And I'll bet the natural habitat is not a plank floor.
That's just the basking area up top. There's a ramp leading up into it from a 70 gallon tank.

Likes berkeman, Tom.G and BillTre
I have handled snapping turtles large enough to severe half my foot in a single chomp - if given a chance. They can be lifted from the sides if you are careful to keep your hands out of reach of their claws.

I wouldn't put my fingers anywhere near the head or neck - with or without chainmail.
I recommend a complete strategic change in your feeding method.

Likes BillTre

1. How does a finger exo-skeleton work?

A finger exo-skeleton is a wearable device that is designed to support and enhance the function of the fingers. It typically consists of a lightweight and flexible frame that is attached to the fingers and hand, providing additional support and strength. The exo-skeleton works by distributing the load and pressure from the fingers to the frame, reducing strain on the hand and fingers.

2. What materials are used to make a finger exo-skeleton?

The materials used to make a finger exo-skeleton can vary, but they are typically lightweight and durable. Some common materials include carbon fiber, aluminum, and plastic. These materials are chosen for their strength, flexibility, and ability to withstand repetitive use.

3. Can a finger exo-skeleton be customized for different hand sizes?

Yes, many finger exo-skeletons are designed to be adjustable and customizable for different hand sizes. This allows for a more comfortable and secure fit, which is important for optimal functionality and support.

4. Are there any risks or side effects associated with using a finger exo-skeleton?

As with any wearable device, there is a potential for discomfort or skin irritation, especially if the exo-skeleton is not properly fitted or worn for extended periods of time. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and take breaks when needed to avoid any potential risks or side effects.

5. Can a finger exo-skeleton be used for medical purposes?

Yes, finger exo-skeletons have been used in medical settings to aid in rehabilitation and recovery for individuals with hand injuries or disabilities. They can also be used as a preventative measure for those who perform repetitive hand movements in their daily activities or jobs.

Back