Loop Quantum gravity or String theory?

In summary, Thiemann argues that the physical correctness of the mathematical results in Helling's paper is irrelevant because the relevant physical concepts weren't addressed, while the expert in strings and loops above argue that the paper is relevant and that the triviality of the results concerns an older path 18 years ago.
areehantgupta
TL;DR Summary
Which do you believe in?
I understand that string theory has almost no testable predictions, however loop quantum gravity is an enticing candidate for only quantum gravity and it doesn't explain much of symmetry, constants, mixing angles etc in Standard model. There is obviously not enough evidence to create a full assumption, however what should I believe and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
areehantgupta said:
what should I believe and why?

I think to "belive" in anything you should know these models on a more technical level. I don't "belive" in non of those, but I guess if I had to choose I would say that LQG, because I wrote my bechelor thesis on some toy model in LQG (Jerzy Lewandowski, one of the more known people in the field of LQG, was my supervisor).

Likes Dale
areehantgupta said:
what should I believe and why?
Let go of (all) your "beliefs" (difficult though this is). Embrace scientific method. Trim any excess with Occam's Razor.

Likes ohwilleke and mattt
I believe that string theory could at least be a theory of something. For LQG I am very skeptical, because it seems to give wrong results even for a harmonic oscillator https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0409182v1

• Informative
Likes ohwilleke and vanhees71
Demystifier said:
I believe that string theory could at least be a theory of something. For LQG I am very skeptical, because it seems to give wrong results even for a harmonic oscillator https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0409182v1

Even though ways that that older pathway in LQG took back in 2004 are less interesting to me, perhaps this paper could also be mentioned https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0608210

…”calculation in a recent paper by Helling et al [hep-th/0409182] are physically incorrect”.

Likes Demystifier

This, from last month, is far more up to date. (I also noted in the comments skydivephil mentions having been less active at physics forums recently)

Last edited:
areehantgupta said:
I understand that string theory has almost no testable predictions
Why is the word "almost" in that sentence?

• Haha
Likes *now*, WernerQH and vanhees71
*now* said:
…”calculation in a recent paper by Helling et al [hep-th/0409182] are physically incorrect”.
Thiemann discusses only in the conclusion, but his argument did not convince me. Roughly speaking, he says that Helling's conclusion is physically wrong because mathematically it is correct but trivial.

None.

Demystifier said:
Thiemann discusses only in the conclusion, but his argument did not convince me. Roughly speaking, he says that Helling's conclusion is physically wrong because mathematically it is correct but trivial.
My impression is the trivial nature involves a strawman case where the literature’s relevant physical concepts weren’t addressed, and again, it concerned an older path 18 years ago, but the youtube debate between experts in strings and loops above, however, is just weeks old.

Two main points.

First, this isn't an apples to apples comparison. String theory is a theory about something different than LQG (which less ambitiously addresses only gravity and not all forces at a naive level).

Second, you shouldn't "believe" either because neither are proven physical theories, and neither is a fully fleshed out theory that makes predictions for all matters within the ultimate domain of applicability that the theories seek to prove. It is entirely possible that the truth is neither of the above. But, even if one or the other of them are correct (or their are somehow equivalent in ways not currently apparent), we don't know enough to know right now.

Likes *now*

1. What is the difference between Loop Quantum Gravity and String Theory?

Loop Quantum Gravity and String Theory are two different approaches to understanding the fundamental laws of physics. Loop Quantum Gravity is a theory that attempts to reconcile general relativity with quantum mechanics, while String Theory is a theory that attempts to unify all the fundamental forces of nature. The main difference between the two is that Loop Quantum Gravity is based on the idea that space and time are quantized, while String Theory is based on the idea that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are tiny strings.

2. How do Loop Quantum Gravity and String Theory explain the concept of gravity?

Loop Quantum Gravity and String Theory both attempt to explain the concept of gravity by incorporating it into a unified theory of all the fundamental forces of nature. In Loop Quantum Gravity, gravity is described as a result of the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of matter and energy. In String Theory, gravity is described as a force that is transmitted by the exchange of particles called gravitons.

3. Are Loop Quantum Gravity and String Theory compatible with each other?

Currently, there is no consensus among scientists on whether Loop Quantum Gravity and String Theory are compatible with each other. Some scientists believe that the two theories can be combined to create a more complete understanding of the universe, while others argue that they are fundamentally different and cannot be reconciled.

4. What are the potential implications of Loop Quantum Gravity and String Theory?

If either Loop Quantum Gravity or String Theory is proven to be the correct theory of everything, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. These theories could potentially help us understand the fundamental laws of physics, the nature of space and time, and the origin of the universe.

5. What evidence supports Loop Quantum Gravity and String Theory?

Currently, there is no conclusive evidence that supports either Loop Quantum Gravity or String Theory. Both theories are still in the development stage and are yet to be tested through experiments. However, some mathematical calculations and theoretical predictions have shown promise in supporting these theories, and further research and experiments are needed to confirm their validity.