Lorentz Contraction and Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle accelerator and the length of the accelerator in the rest frame of an electron with given energy. The solution is found using equations for Lorentz contraction and energy in units where c = 1. The question is then raised about the absence of c in the equations, which is explained as a result of using these specific units.
fdsa1234
I already know the solution to this problem, but I'm not sure exactly why it works out the way it does, so I'm looking for an explanation.

Homework Statement

A particle accelerator accelerates electrons at 40 GeV in a pipe 2 miles (3218.69 metres) long, but only a few cm wide. How long is the accelerator in the rest frame of an electron with the given energy?

Homework Equations

##L' = L*\sqrt{(1 - V^2)}##

##E = \frac{m}{\sqrt{(1 - V^2)}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

L' is the Lorentz contracted length of the accelerator in the electron's rest frame; using the two equations with 0.51 MeV as the mass of the electron, I get ##\sqrt{(1 - V^2)} = \frac{m}{E} = \frac{(0.51 MeV)}{40 GeV} = 1.2 * 10^-5##

Then, ##L' = 1.2 * 10^-5 * 3218.69 = 4 cm##

This is the correct solution. My question is, why are the ##\sqrt{(1 - V^2)}## terms not ##\sqrt{(1 - \frac{V^2}{c^2})}##? I thought that the Lorentz contraction equation is ##L' = L*\gamma##, where ##\gamma## is ##\sqrt{(1 - \frac{V^2}{c^2})}##. What's the explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is very common in relativity to use units where c = 1. This explains why it does not appear in your expressions for length contraction as well as in your expression for the total energy.

Ah, so ##E = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}## simply becomes ##E = \frac{m}{\sqrt{1 - V^2}}##. Now I see it. Thank you.

What is Lorentz Contraction?

Lorentz Contraction, also known as length contraction, is a phenomenon in which objects moving at high speeds appear to be shorter in the direction of motion when observed from a stationary frame of reference. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

How does Lorentz Contraction affect time?

According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, time also appears to slow down for objects moving at high speeds. This is known as time dilation and is directly related to Lorentz Contraction. As an object's length contracts, its perceived time slows down in order to maintain the speed of light as a constant.

What is the formula for calculating Lorentz Contraction?

The formula for Lorentz Contraction is L = Lo * sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2), where L is the contracted length, Lo is the actual length, v is the object's velocity, and c is the speed of light. This formula is used to calculate the amount of contraction an object experiences at a given velocity.

What is the relationship between Lorentz Contraction and energy?

Lorentz Contraction is directly related to energy through Einstein's famous equation, E = mc^2. This equation states that energy (E) is equal to an object's mass (m) times the speed of light (c) squared. As an object's velocity increases, so does its energy, resulting in a greater amount of Lorentz Contraction.

What are some real-world examples of Lorentz Contraction and its effects?

One of the most well-known examples of Lorentz Contraction is the lengthening of an astronaut's lifespan due to time dilation while traveling at high speeds in space. Another example is the contraction of the length of a particle accelerator, which allows particles to reach incredibly high speeds and collide with each other. Additionally, GPS satellites must account for the effects of Lorentz Contraction and time dilation in order to provide accurate location data on Earth.