Special relativity, a train and a light pulse

In summary: Therefore, the second method is the more accurate approach. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a photon being emitted from a bulb and reaching a receptor in a room that is moving horizontally. There are two different approaches to solve the problem and the second method is determined to be more accurate.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
i am having some hard time thinking about this problem:

It is basically this:

Imagine a bulb and a receptor distant L from each other (at the same axis x) inside a room, the roof of the room is at a height d from the bulb and receptor. Now you are at a train moving horizontally, parallel to the x axis, with speed v. You are looking to the room. What time does it take in your reference frame to a photon emitted by the bulb to reach the receptor, in such way that the photon should reflect at the roof, and not be direct emitted along the closest distance between them.

The problem is that i am having two different answers, using different approach:

(1) The horizontal distance will be contract, so the time it take is $$t' = \frac{2\sqrt{(L/2\gamma)^2 + d^2}}{c}$$

(2) Using lorentz transformation, the time it take is $$t' = \gamma t - \gamma \beta \Delta x/c = \gamma (t -\Delta x \beta /c) = \gamma (2\sqrt{(L/2)^2 + d^2}/c - L \beta / c)$$

Now $$|\beta / c| << 1$$, so $$t' \approx \frac{2 \gamma \sqrt{(L/2)^2 + d^2}}{c} $$.

Since i should choose just one answer, i would say that the first one use more solid arguments, but still i can not say definitely if the first is in fact the right answer, or in another words, i am not able to refute the second answer.

So which one is right? what argument the wrong answer used? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may be able to improve 1. The receptor is leaving so light has to travel more than the contracted train length in x.

Last edited:
Can you make a diagram?

Herculi said:
So which one is right? what argument the wrong answer used?
The first method is wrong because it doesn't take into account the motion of the room in the train frame.

The second method is correct, but you cannot neglect the second term, as the first term may also be small.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time in the presence of gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is always constant.

2. How does special relativity apply to a train and a light pulse?

In special relativity, the movement of objects is relative to the observer. This means that the speed of light is always constant, regardless of the observer's frame of reference. In the case of a train and a light pulse, if a person on the train shines a light, the speed of the light will be the same for both the person on the train and an observer on the ground, even though the train is moving.

3. How does time dilation occur in special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon that occurs in special relativity where time appears to slow down for objects that are moving at high speeds. This is due to the fact that as an object's speed increases, its perception of time slows down in comparison to an observer who is at rest.

4. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity has been proven to be accurate and applicable in many everyday situations. For example, GPS systems use special relativity to account for the time dilation experienced by satellites in orbit, which allows for more precise location tracking on Earth.

5. How is special relativity different from general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity. General relativity also expands on the principles of special relativity to explain the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects.