Lorentz force system, what to expect?

In summary: EMF in opposition to the motion.When current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field that opposes the external field. This induced EMF is always present, even when the wire is stationary. However, when the wire moves, the induced EMF will oppose the motion, causing the wire to move in a straight line.
PhiowPhi
I'm building a system that is using the Lorentz force principle, of when a wire is placed in a magnetic field(##B##) with length(##L##) and has current flowing(##I##) there is a force = ##IL \times B## that would move the wire. I want to take into account of every single thing that will happen after.

• Inductance in the beginning for current stabilization.
  • Induced-EMF, because there is change in flux due to the motion of the conductor in the magnetic field , ##\epsilon= -vBL## .
But, prior to motion there is something confusing me, when the wire has current flowing, it produces it's own magnetic field that is parallel to the exterior field and is in opposition, there will be induced EMF that is similar to motional EMF to oppose that change, however, is there a slight attractive/repulsive force between the wire and the exterior magnetic field source(magnet/electromagnet)? Similar to when two wires carrying current are placed near one another (depending on the direction of current) there is a force of attraction/repulsion.

How can a wire move in a magnetic field due to the Lorentz force, when it's own magnetic field interacting with the exterior field causes an opposing attractive/repulsive force? Although, the wire's magnetic field is parallel to the exterior one, but doubt that makes a difference. Bit confusing on that note.

Engineering news on Phys.org
PhiowPhi said:
How can a wire move in a magnetic field due to the Lorentz force, when it's own magnetic field interacting with the exterior field causes an opposing attractive/repulsive force?
Well, for a motor for example, the wire is being mechanically driven by some means.

motgen.gif

As the motor is turning, it also acts as a generator and generates a "back emf". By Lenz's law, the emf generated by the motor coil will oppose the change that created it. If the motor is not driving a load, then the generated back emf will almost balance the input voltage and very little current will flow in the coil of the motor. But if the motor is driving a heavy load, the back emf will be less and more current will flow in the motor coil and that electric power being used is converted to the mechanical power to drive the load.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/motorac.html#c2

I should have stated this earlier, but the circuit is DC. Also, so there is a force acting on the wire that is the Lorentz force, at the same time there is a repulsive/attractive force between the wire's magnetic field and the exterior's field?

dcmop.gif

Come to think of it... can the Lorentz force, be considered as a repulsive force...? The force that I was worried about is itself the Lorentz force and a magnetic force(maybe a repulsive force)?

To be exact of my question, aside from the Lorentz force the wire experiences are there any other magnetic force it experiences that could affect it's motion?
The only things that I can think of will always be Lorentz force, and the induced-EMF on the wire that is produced from this set-up, no other forces/effects come into mind.

PhiowPhi said:
The only things that I can think of will always be Lorentz force, and the induced-EMF on the wire that is produced from this set-up, no other forces/effects come into mind.
I think you're on the right track.

In machinery the force is exerted on the conductors as shown in the diagram you posted.
That other equations can be derived is our good fortune, and is demonstrated by Baluncore's excellent selection of links.
We don't have to derive from QVcrossB every time.
But you should drill yourself on those derivations until you believe in them because it is better to intuitively understand a formula than to just memorize it.

@Baluncone thanks for those links, great refresher to the concepts.

I got myself confused, I assumed that the magnetic field produced by the wire and the external fields would interact in a way similar as to how magnets/electromagnets would attract or repel one another, which seems not true. I can conclude that the only force acting on the wire is the Lorentz force. I assumed there might be another force that would resist this. However, the only form of "resistance" that would oppose this change(the wire's motion) is the induced EMF ##\epsilon = -vBL##.

I have one thing to note here, when the wire creates it's own magnetic field it opposes the external field, would that decrease the external field causing a change in flux therefore having to deal with another induced-##\epsilon##, aside from the induced ##\epsilon## caused by motion? They way I think of it, is if the wire is stationary in that field there is no induced ##\epsilon## (ignoring inductance for a bit).

@jim hardy Hey there Jim! Glade to see you participating in this!
I already believe in those derivations not only mathematically but experimentally too!

PhiowPhi said:
I have one thing to note here, when the wire creates it's own magnetic field it opposes the external field, would that decrease the external field causing a change in flux therefore having to deal with another induced-##\epsilon##, aside from the induced ##\epsilon## caused by motion? They way I think of it, is if the wire is stationary in that field there is no induced ##\epsilon## (ignoring inductance for a bit).

I want to correct myself and make a few things clear here, I know that the wire would have it's own magnetic field induced due to the flow of current, however, when that current-carrying wire is placed inside the magnetic field, is there any interaction between the two fields that would lead to induced-##\epsilon##? I know that when the wire moves there is(Motional EMF formula), but about the wire's magnetic field and the external magnetic field interacting causing a change in flux somehow? Is there something to account for there?

I feel as if I'm over complicating things.

1. What is the Lorentz force system?

The Lorentz force system refers to the force exerted on a charged particle in an electromagnetic field. It is a combination of the electric force and the magnetic force, and is described by the Lorentz force law.

2. How is the Lorentz force system calculated?

The Lorentz force system is calculated using the Lorentz force law, which states that the force on a charged particle is equal to the product of its charge, the applied electric field, and the vector cross product of its velocity and the magnetic field. Mathematically, it can be expressed as F = q(E + v x B).

3. What are the applications of the Lorentz force system?

The Lorentz force system has various applications, including particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and electric motors. It is also used in the study of plasma physics and in the design of magnetic confinement devices for fusion energy research.

4. How does the Lorentz force system affect charged particles in a magnetic field?

In a magnetic field, the Lorentz force system causes charged particles to experience a force perpendicular to both their velocity and the magnetic field. This results in the particles moving in a circular or helical path, depending on the strength of the magnetic field and the particle's initial velocity.

5. What should I expect when working with the Lorentz force system?

When working with the Lorentz force system, you can expect to encounter various phenomena, such as the Hall effect, where a voltage is generated in a conductor perpendicular to both an applied current and an external magnetic field. You may also encounter particle trajectories that deviate from a straight line due to the influence of the magnetic field.