Lorentz transformation of electron motion

In summary: Yes, for ##\large \frac{d^2y'}{dt'^2}## you would let ##y' = y##. But ##\large \frac{dt}{dt'}## would still be ##\large \frac{1}{\gamma(1-\frac{v}{c^2}\frac{dx}{dt})}##, not ##\large \frac{1}{\gamma(1-\frac{v}{c^2}\frac{dy}{dt})}##.In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of equations 14(i) and 14(ii) from equations 13(i) and 13(ii) respectively. The conversation includes a step-by-step outline and
PainterGuy
Homework Statement
I'm trying to understand how different equations are derived for x, y, and z directions of motion of an electron.
Relevant Equations
Please have a look at the posting.
Hi,

It's not homework but I still thought I better post it here.

Please have a look on the attachment. For hi-resolution copy, please use this link: https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/7840/CL6Ceq.jpg

I think in equations labelled "12", 'e' is electric charge and Ex is the amplitude of electric field along 'x' direction.

How one could derive 14(i) and 14(ii) from 13(i) and 13(ii) respectively?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• mass_relativity_jammer_2.jpg
    mass_relativity_jammer_2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 114
Physics news on Phys.org
In the Einstein paper referred he said about longitudinal and transvers masses which are not used in current physics. If you are a first learner I do not recommend to go into that way though his physics is right and awesome.

Likes vanhees71, PeroK and PainterGuy
Yes, I'm a first learner and thank you for the advice.

I'm still curious about knowing how those expressions are derived.

PainterGuy said:
I'm still curious about knowing how those expressions are derived.
Since this is not a homework problem, I will outline one approach.

From ##t' = \gamma(t-xv/c^2)##, show ##\frac{dt'}{dt} = \gamma(1-\frac{v}{c^2}\frac{dx}{dt})##

So, ##\large \frac{dt}{dt'} = \frac{1}{\gamma(1-\frac{v}{c^2} \frac{dx}{dt})}##

From the chain rule, ##\large \frac{d}{dt'} = \frac{dt}{dt'} \frac{d}{dt}##
So, $$\frac{d^2x'}{dt'^2} = \frac{dt}{dt'}\frac{d}{dt}\left[ \frac{dt}{dt'} \frac{dx'}{dt}\right]$$ Substitute ##x' = \gamma(x-vt)## and ##\large \frac{dt}{dt'} = \frac{1}{\gamma(1-\frac{v}{c^2} \frac{dx}{dt})}##.

When performing the time derivatives ##\large \frac{d}{dt}## , treat ##v## as a constant since ##v## represents the fixed speed between the primed and unprimed inertial frames. Thus, you can also treat ##\gamma## as a constant. After doing all the differentiation, you can let ##\frac{dx}{dt} = v## since the instantaneous x-component of the velocity of the electron in the unprimed frame equals the relative speed of the two frames.

Likes vanhees71, PainterGuy, PhDeezNutz and 1 other person
Thank you, @TSny .

I tried to do it but getting '0' for the expression below.

[tex]\frac{dx^{\prime }}{dt}=\frac{d\left\{ \gamma (x-vt)\right\} }{dt}[/tex]

I'm sorry if I'm making some obvious mistake.

Shown below is my full attempt.

1628385384901.png

PainterGuy said:
I tried to do it but getting '0' for the expression below.

The mistake is at this point

1628385987790.png

You can't let ##\frac{dx}{dt} = v## until after you're done taking all of the derivatives.

It's sort of like making the mistake of finding ##f''(2)## for the function ##f(x) = x^3## as follows

##f'(x) = 3x^2##
##\therefore f'(2) = 12##
##\therefore f''(2) = \frac{d}{dx}f'(2) = \frac{d}{dx}(12) = 0##.

Likes PainterGuy and PeroK
Thank you!

Do you think I'm on the right path?

1628469153703.png

Attachments

• lorentz_111.jpg
    lorentz_111.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 112
Your work looks correct to me. There are places where you could have canceled some ##\gamma##'s between numerator and denominator. Also, there is a step where you multiply numerator and denominator by ##c^2##. I would not have done that, but if it helps you in the simplification, OK.

Good. So, now you have completed the differentiations ##\frac {d}{dt}##. You may now let ##\large \frac{dx}{dt} = v##. The smoke is about to clear :oldsmile:

Likes PainterGuy and PhDeezNutz
TSny said:
Your work looks correct to me. There are places where you could have canceled some ##\gamma##'s between numerator and denominator. Also, there is a step where you multiply numerator and denominator by ##c^2##. I would not have done that, but if it helps you in the simplification, OK.

Good. So, now you have completed the differentiations ##\frac {d}{dt}##. You may now let ##\large \frac{dx}{dt} = v##. The smoke is about to clear :oldsmile:

Do you think it's correct? What am I supposed to do next?! Thanks a lot for your help and time.
8cHTMa.jpg

You can check hi-res image here: https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/7309/8cHTMa.jpg

Attachments

• lorentz_smoke.jpg
    lorentz_smoke.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 110
Looking good. In your final expression, multiply numerator and denominator by ##1/c^4##.

Likes PainterGuy
TSny said:
Looking good. In your final expression, multiply numerator and denominator by ##1/c^4##.
Thank you but I tried to simplify the end expression earlier before I posted it here but multiplying by 1/c^4 doesn't help.

Anyway, you can see it for yourself below. I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

1628545915486.png

##\large \frac 1 {c^4}## ## (c^2-v^2)^2 = ## ##\large \frac{c^2-v^2}{c^2} \frac{c^2-v^2}{c^2} ## ##= (1-v^2/c^2)(1-v^2/c^2)##

Express ##1-v^2/c^2## in terms of ##\gamma##.

Likes PainterGuy
Thanks a lot for your help and patience!

I think I got it now.

1628560978951.png

Note to self:
While deriving the expression above, the following relations were used as suggested by you.
1628561108244.png

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_factor#Occurrence
1628561145971.png

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation

To derive 14(ii) [itex]m_{0} \gamma^{2} \frac{d^{2} y}{d t^{2}}=e E_{y}^{\prime}[/itex] from 13(ii) [itex]m_{0} \frac{d^{2} y^{\prime}}{d t^{\prime 2}}=e E_{y}^{\prime}[/itex], should I proceed as follows.

[tex]
\begin{aligned}
&\frac{d^{2} y^{\prime}}{d\left(t^{\prime}\right)^{2}}=\frac{d t}{d t^{\prime}} \frac{d}{d t}\left[\frac{d t}{d t^{\prime}} \frac{d y^{\prime}}{d t}\right]\\
&\text { Subbing the following expressions in the expression above. }\\
&y^{\prime}=y \text { and } \frac{d t}{d t^{\prime}}=\frac{1}{\gamma\left(1-\frac{v}{c^{2}} \frac{d y}{d t}\right)}
\end{aligned}
[/tex]

Your result for ##\large \frac{d^2x'}{dt'^2}## looks good.

PainterGuy said:
To derive 14(ii) [itex]m_{0} \gamma^{2} \frac{d^{2} y}{d t^{2}}=e E_{y}^{\prime}[/itex] from 13(ii) [itex]m_{0} \frac{d^{2} y^{\prime}}{d t^{\prime 2}}=e E_{y}^{\prime}[/itex], should I proceed as follows.

[tex]
\begin{aligned}
&\frac{d^{2} y^{\prime}}{d\left(t^{\prime}\right)^{2}}=\frac{d t}{d t^{\prime}} \frac{d}{d t}\left[\frac{d t}{d t^{\prime}} \frac{d y^{\prime}}{d t}\right]\\
&\text { Subbing the following expressions in the expression above. }\\
&y^{\prime}=y \text { and } \frac{d t}{d t^{\prime}}=\frac{1}{\gamma\left(1-\frac{v}{c^{2}} \frac{d y}{d t}\right)}
\end{aligned}
[/tex]

Yes, for ##\large \frac{d^2y'}{dt'^2}## you would let ##y' = y##. But ##\large \frac{dt}{dt'}## would still be ##\large \frac{1}{\gamma(1-\frac{v}{c^2}\frac{dx}{dt})}##, not ##\large \frac{1}{\gamma(1-\frac{v}{c^2}\frac{dy}{dt})}##.

Likes PainterGuy

What is the Lorentz transformation of electron motion?

The Lorentz transformation of electron motion is a mathematical formula that describes how the position, velocity, and time of an electron change when observed from different reference frames. It is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of special relativity.

Why is the Lorentz transformation important in physics?

The Lorentz transformation is important in physics because it allows us to understand how the laws of physics behave in different reference frames. It also helps us reconcile the differences between classical mechanics and the theory of relativity, and has many practical applications in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics.

How does the Lorentz transformation affect the motion of an electron?

The Lorentz transformation affects the motion of an electron by changing its position, velocity, and time measurements when observed from different reference frames. It also predicts phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, which have been experimentally confirmed.

What is the difference between the Lorentz transformation and Galilean transformation?

The Lorentz transformation and Galilean transformation are two different mathematical formulas that describe the motion of objects in different reference frames. The main difference is that the Galilean transformation only applies to objects moving at low speeds, while the Lorentz transformation applies to objects moving at any speed, including the speed of light.

How is the Lorentz transformation derived?

The Lorentz transformation is derived from the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. It involves using the equations of motion and the speed of light to transform measurements of time and space between different reference frames.