Lorentz transformation of multiple events into one frame of observation

In summary: If A and D are moving at the same velocity in the B-C frame, then A and D have effectively the same rest frame. Assuming they synchroise their clocks and agree on a common spatial origin.Fundamentally, A and D are local observers representing their shared frame. If we take A to be at the origin, then A's clock measures the time of events at the origin in the A-D frame; and, D's clock measures the time of events at ##x' = 0.75## in that frame.Similarly, C's clock measures the time of events at location ##x = 1.3## in the B-C frame.With that in
Oranginayo
Homework Statement
Object A travels past a point B at 0.5c and the distance is 1.3 light seconds to arrive at point C. When A passes point B a microwave is sent at point B towards point C, where an observer D who is travelling ahead of object A arrives at point C at the same time as the microwave.
Clocks at point B one at point C are synchronised.

Lorentz transform three events into into object A's frame and draw diagrams showing the three events from object A's frame.
Relevant Equations
x' = /gamma(x-Vt), t' = /gamma(t - Vx/c^2)
The three events;
t = 0s, x=0
t=1.3s, x=1.3 light seconds
t=2.6s, 1.3 light seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you ought to label those events ##1, 2, 3##.

The question is to transform those events into A's frame?

(I'm not I understand what D has to do with this. Is that for another part of the question?)

So are the events correct? (in B, C system)

Yes transform into A's frame.

Oranginayo said:
So are the events correct? (in B, C system)
Yes. Those events being: 1) A passes B (and microwave is emitted from B); 2) Microwave (and D) arrives at C; 3) A arrives at C.

Last edited:
So the transformation of the events I have..
1. t' = 0, x'=0
2. t' = 0, x' = 0
3. x' = 0, t' = 2.25s

Are these correct?

Oranginayo said:
So the transformation of the events I have..
1. t' = 0, x'=0
2. t' = 0, x' = 0
3. x' = 0, t' = 2.25s

Are these correct?
The second one looks suspicious, don't you think?

Yes, I'm not sure how to express in a division of zero in the lorentz factor.

Oranginayo said:
Yes, I'm not sure how to express in a division of zero in the lorentz factor.
Division by zero is a problem that implies a mistake somewhere.

These are my thoughts. The microwave is traveling at speed c which I've used in the lorentz factor to be undefined.

Oranginayo said:
These are my thoughts. The microwave is traveling at speed c which I've used in the lorentz factor to be undefined.
That would be the frame of the microwave. Which is undefined in SR. You want the event in the frame of A.

Unless they are t=0.75s and x=0.75??

Oranginayo said:
Unless they are t=0.75s and x=0.75??
They are indeed.

Likes Oranginayo
Thank you. So when observer D is traveling at 0.5c and has a clock in sync with object A. According to observer D what is the time on the B-C clock and observer D's clock when the microwave arrives?
Is this just delta T0 = 1.3 sqrt(1-0.5^2) for the B-C clock and T0 = 0.75 sqrt(1-0.5^2)?

Oranginayo said:
Thank you. So when observer D is traveling at 0.5c and has a clock in sync with object A. According to observer D what is the time on the B-C clock and observer D's clock when the microwave arrives?
Is this just delta T0 = 1.3 sqrt(1-0.5^2) for the B-C clock and T0 = 0.75 sqrt(1-0.5^2)?
If A and D are moving at the same velocity in the B-C frame, then A and D have effectively the same rest frame. Assuming they synchroise their clocks and agree on a common spatial origin.

Fundamentally, A and D are local observers representing their shared frame. If we take A to be at the origin, then A's clock measures the time of events at the origin in the A-D frame; and, D's clock measures the time of events at ##x' = 0.75## in that frame.

Similarly, C's clock measures the time of events at location ##x = 1.3## in the B-C frame.

With that in mind, do you want to reconsider your answers?

Last edited:
Does that mean ## \Delta T = 1.3/ \sqrt(1-0.5^2) ## for C's clock and ## \Delta T = 0.75/ \sqrt(1-0.5^2) ## for D's clock ??

Oranginayo said:
Does that mean ## \Delta T = 1.3/ \sqrt(1-0.5^2) ## for C's clock and ## \Delta T = 0.75/ \sqrt(1-0.5^2) ## for D's clock ??
What is ##\Delta T##?

The time interval for time dilation

Oranginayo said:
The time interval for time dilation
What time interval?

The time interval as seen from observer D or is this incorrect?

Oranginayo said:
The time interval as seen from observer D or is this incorrect?
The time interval between what two events?

There is just one event - the arrival of the microwave so does that mean; Clock C = 1.3s, Clock D = 0.75s

Oranginayo said:
There is just one event - the arrival of the microwave so does that mean; Clock C = 1.3s, Clock D = 0.75s
For a time interval you need two events. For a single event, you have a single time coordinate.

That's the same in classical physics.

So the clocks read the same? Both must read 1.2s then

Oranginayo said:
So the clocks read the same? Both must read 1.2s then
Can you please just tell me what the question is? Not the answer. What is the question?

Observer D is traveling ahead of object A at 0.5c and has a clock in sync with object A. According to observer D what is the time on the C clock and observer D's clock when the microwave arrives?

Oranginayo said:
Observer D is traveling ahead of object A at 0.5c and has a clock in sync with object A. According to observer D what is the time on the C clock and observer D's clock when the microwave arrives?
So, that's not a time interval. That's a time on each clock. We need to go back to this post:

PeroK said:
If A and D are moving at the same velocity in the B-C frame, then A and D have effectively the same rest frame. Assuming they synchroise their clocks and agree on a common spatial origin.

Fundamentally, A and D are local observers representing their shared frame. If we take A to be at the origin, then A's clock measures the time of events at the origin in the A-D frame; and, D's clock measures the time of events at ##x' = 0.75## in that frame.

Similarly, C's clock measures the time of events at location ##x = 1.3## in the B-C frame.

With that in mind, do you want to reconsider your answers?

Let me help you out, because I think you are confused.

The microwave arriving at ##C## is an event (the second event). The time of that event in the B-C frame is ##1.3s##. Therefore, C's clock must read ##1.3s##.

Likewise, in the A-D frame that event takes place local to D. So, the time on D's clock is ##0.75s##, as you have already calculated.

Thanks. So what are the times on object A's clock and on C's clock when object A arrives at C?

Oranginayo said:
Thanks. So what are the times on object A's clock and on C's clock when object A arrives at C?
I'll let you work that out.

1. What is the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between space and time in special relativity. It allows us to convert measurements of space and time between different frames of reference, specifically between frames that are moving at constant velocities relative to each other.

2. Why is the Lorentz transformation important?

The Lorentz transformation is important because it is a fundamental concept in special relativity, which is a cornerstone of modern physics. It helps us understand how measurements of space and time are affected by the relative motion of different frames of reference, and it has many practical applications in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics.

3. How does the Lorentz transformation work?

The Lorentz transformation involves a set of equations that use the speed of light as a constant to convert measurements of space and time between frames of reference. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are consequences of special relativity, and allows us to determine how events appear in one frame of reference compared to another.

4. Can the Lorentz transformation be applied to multiple events?

Yes, the Lorentz transformation can be applied to multiple events. It is a general formula that can be used to convert measurements of space and time for any number of events between frames of reference. It is often used in situations where there are multiple moving objects or events taking place in different frames of reference.

5. What are some real-world examples of the Lorentz transformation in action?

The Lorentz transformation has many real-world applications, including in particle accelerators where it is used to calculate the energy and momentum of particles. It is also used in GPS technology to account for the effects of time dilation on satellite clocks. Additionally, it is used in astrophysics to study the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as stars and galaxies.