Lorentz Transformation: Writing in Different Forms

In summary, the elements of the Lorenz transformation can be written in the form of a Lie algebra, where the Lie algebra can be exponentiated to give the Lie group. The Lie algebra of SO(1,3) is represented by -i/2 multiplied by the rapidity and the boost matrix. The transformation can also be written in the form of a one-parameter subgroup of the Lie group, where the elements are determined by parameters that define the angle of rotation or the rapidity. This transformation does not depend on spacetime coordinates, but can act on vector fields or spinors.
befj0001
I don't understand why we can write the elements of the lorentransformation in the form

## {\Lambda}^{\mu}\:_{\nu} = [exp(-\frac{i}{2}{\omega}^{\rho\sigma}M_{\rho\sigma})]^{\mu}\:_{\nu} ##

I know that we can write it in the form

## {\Lambda} = exp(t\Theta) ##

where
## \Theta ##
are elements of the Lie algebra

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the contraction of omega with M indicates a linear combination of M's. These M's span the algebra. So the group element you write there is general. Your second expression seems like you pick one particular element from the algebra, Theta, and multiply it with one parameter t.

So your first expression is just the most general group element you can write when the M's span your algebra. In your second expression you apparently pick one particular M, call it Theta, and you pick one particular omega, and call it t.

Maybe this comparison helps: I can always choose coordinates in R3 such that a vector is written as

V = (0,0,c)

i.e. has only a component along the z-axis, which I call c. But in general such a vector has components

V= (a,b,c).

haushofer said:
Well, the contraction of omega with M indicates a linear combination of M's. These M's span the algebra. So the group element you write there is general. Your second expression seems like you pick one particular element from the algebra, Theta, and multiply it with a parameter t.

So your first expression is just the most general group element you can write when the M's span your algebra.

ok, so the ## M_{\rho\sigma} ## represents a matrix and not an element of the matrix? i.e., ## M_{10} ## is a matrix? But where is the time parameter in the first expression?

befj0001 said:
I don't understand why we can write the elements of the lorentransformation in the form

## {\Lambda}^{\mu}\:_{\nu} = [exp(-\frac{i}{2}{\omega}^{\rho\sigma}M_{\rho\sigma})]^{\mu}\:_{\nu} ##
If the Lie algebra [itex]\mathcal{L}(G)[/itex] can be exponentiated to give the Lie group [itex]G[/itex], then
[tex]G = e^{\mathcal{L}(G)} .[/tex]
So,
[tex]\mathcal{L}(SO(1,3)) = - \frac{i}{2} \omega^{\mu\nu}M_{\mu\nu} \equiv X .[/tex]

I know that we can write it in the form

## {\Lambda} = exp(t\Theta) ##

where
## \Theta ##
are elements of the Lie algebra
[itex]e^{t \mathcal{L}(G)} \equiv e^{tX}[/itex] is a one-parameter subgroup of [itex]G[/itex].

Maybe this helps: the group elements only depend on parameters which define the angle of rotation or rapidity. They don't depend on spacetime coordinates (!). In the fundamental representation the group elements act on the spacetime coordinates, giving the familiar Lorentz transformations of the spacetime coordinates.

Maybe you're confusing the fundamental representation on the coordinates with more general representations. E.g., a Lorentz transfo on a vector field or spinor does not contain spacetime coordinates.

Related to Lorentz Transformation: Writing in Different Forms

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a set of equations in special relativity that describe how space and time coordinates are affected by a change in reference frame. It allows us to understand how measurements of space and time can differ between observers in different frames of reference.

2. Why do we use different forms of the Lorentz Transformation?

Different forms of the Lorentz Transformation are used to simplify calculations in different scenarios. For example, the Minkowski form is useful for understanding space-time geometry, while the velocity form is used to calculate the relative velocity between two frames of reference.

3. How can I write the Lorentz Transformation in matrix form?

The Lorentz Transformation can be written in matrix form by using a 4x4 matrix with specific coefficients. The matrix form is useful for making calculations and transformations between different frames of reference more efficient.

4. What is the significance of the Lorentz factor in the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz factor, γ, is a key component of the Lorentz Transformation and represents the relationship between an observer's relative velocity and the speed of light. It is used to account for time dilation and length contraction in special relativity.

5. How does the Lorentz Transformation relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The Lorentz Transformation is closely related to Einstein's theory of relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time. The equations of the Lorentz Transformation are derived from the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.