Love physics: study engineering

In summary, the individual is currently a 3rd year student at university studying mechanical engineering but is considering switching majors or staying in their current field. They have a passion for physics and are interested in applying it to real world projects, such as creating a better combustion system for rockets and using superconductors for transportation systems. They are unsure whether to pursue pure physics or engineering and are seeking advice on which branch of physics or engineering would be best for their desired projects.
Dmenam21
I love physics, I’m literarily fascinated and passionate about it. Although I would like to focus on applying physics on real world projects (more than on research or discovery). Like making a better combustion system on rockets, helping build the fusion reactors they’re trying to make, using superconductors for transportation systems or building an invisible wall or making awesome projects like that. What should I study: physics or engineering. If physics, which branch of physics would you recommend me more, explaining me why you like it the most and what future applications you see of it. And if engineering which branch would you recommend me more based on the ideal projects I mentioned.

I’d really appreciate your help!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Dmenam21 said:
which branch would you recommend me more based on the ideal projects I mentioned.
Your "projects" are all over the map. No way you are going to find one area of specialization that encompasses them all. If you want a specific focus for your studies, you'll need more focused project goals.

I have a doctoral degree in theoretical solid state physics. My grandfather (a very good civil engineer) recommended physics to me at age five and it stuck. It was wonderful advice.

Now I am my grandfather's age and I realize most of my best work has been engineering. I have been able to do optical, electronic, mechanical, production, and systems engineering at a high level and get paid for it!. I've been given my own laboratory to play in! What's best is that colleagues from disparate disciplines often bring me difficult problems. Usually they are fascinating, and sometimes I can help.

So although I can't speak to your proclivities, I know that working very hard to gain a broad knowledge of physics will serve you well. I don't think the specialization really matters...just stay open to quality teachers and interesting stuff and enjoy.

And never be afraid to ask a stupid question.

Likes DeBangis21 and berkeman
yes definitely! I am already at university but I was thinking about switching majors or staying. I am currently studying mechanical engineering at 3rd year. I like physics a lot and I also like inventing and doing awesome projects as I mentioned earlier. The thing is that I’m not sure what to purse, pure physics or engineering. I can’t decide because I like both a lot.

What I dream of doing is real world proyects involving the frontiers of physics we currently have. Like the projects I mentioned and many more. The problem is that I don’t know if mechanical engineering is the best pathway to do this or is there a better one?

1. What is "Love physics" and how does it relate to engineering?

"Love physics" is a term used to describe the study of the physics of relationships and emotions. It relates to engineering because understanding the physical and chemical processes behind love can assist in creating technology and products that enhance relationships, such as dating apps or virtual reality experiences.

2. How does physics play a role in attraction?

Physics plays a role in attraction through various physical and chemical processes. For example, the release of certain neurotransmitters in the brain, like dopamine and oxytocin, can create feelings of pleasure and attachment. Additionally, physical characteristics like symmetry and body language can play a role in attraction.

3. Can physics explain the chemistry of love?

Yes, physics can explain the chemistry of love. The chemical processes involved in attraction and attachment, such as the release of hormones and neurotransmitters, are governed by physical principles such as thermodynamics and electrical signals in the brain.

4. How can understanding love physics improve relationships?

By understanding the physical and chemical processes involved in love and attraction, individuals can better navigate their relationships. This knowledge can also be used to create technology and products that enhance relationships, leading to improved communication and satisfaction.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with studying "Love physics"?

Like with any field of research, there may be ethical concerns with studying "Love physics". It is important for scientists to prioritize respect and consent in conducting their research, and to consider the potential impact of their findings on society and relationships. Open and honest communication with study participants is essential in addressing any ethical concerns.