Low cycle fatigue, Coffin's law

In summary, Coffin's law is an important tool for predicting the fatigue life of materials and the value of c can vary depending on the material and testing conditions. A value of +0.5 is commonly used, but it is important to carefully analyze your data and consult with experts to ensure accurate results.
Name:riley

Homework Statement

Hi, I require some assistance using coffin's law.
I have the strain range and cycles to failure but need coffins slope- 'c'.
C2 can then be found after the other values are known.

Homework Equations

Δε^pl=C2/N^c
Where Δε^pl is plastic strain range, N is the cycles to failure and C2 and c are constants.
upload_2016-4-20_14-59-40.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the strain range and cycles to failure data in excel. No problems here.
It seems from the above graph that coffins slope-c is the slope of the Log(stress amplitude) and Log(cycles to failure) regression line.
So I use excels slope function and get -0.05

The textbook and other sources say this value is usually +0.5.

using the 'c' I attained in the equation results in lower cycles to failure for lower strains, the opposite of what is expected.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with using Coffin's law. Coffin's law is a widely used empirical relationship in materials science and engineering to predict the fatigue life of materials. It relates the plastic strain range (Δε^pl) to the number of cycles to failure (N) through the equation: Δε^pl=C2/N^c, where C2 and c are constants.

To find the value of c, you can use the slope of the log(stress amplitude) and log(cycles to failure) regression line. However, it is important to note that the value of c can vary depending on the material and testing conditions. In general, a value of +0.5 is commonly used for c, but it is not uncommon to see values ranging from 0.3 to 0.7.

If you are getting a negative value for c, it could indicate that there may be some issues with your data or the regression analysis. I would recommend double-checking your data and making sure that you are using the appropriate regression method and analysis. You may also want to consult with a materials science expert to ensure that you are using the correct value for c for your specific material and testing conditions.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is low cycle fatigue?

Low cycle fatigue is a type of material fatigue that occurs when a mechanical component undergoes a large number of cycles of stress, resulting in damage and eventual failure of the material. It is typically characterized by high stress levels and a small number of cycles before failure.

2. What is Coffin's law?

Coffin's law is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of materials under low cycle fatigue. It states that the number of cycles to failure of a material is inversely proportional to the range of stress amplitudes applied to the material.

3. How is low cycle fatigue different from high cycle fatigue?

Low cycle fatigue occurs when a material experiences a small number of cycles of stress, typically less than 10,000 cycles, before failure. High cycle fatigue, on the other hand, occurs when a material experiences a large number of cycles, typically more than 10,000, before failure. Low cycle fatigue is typically caused by high stress levels, while high cycle fatigue is often caused by repeated cyclic stresses at lower levels.

4. What factors affect the rate of low cycle fatigue?

There are several factors that can affect the rate of low cycle fatigue, including temperature, stress amplitude, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. Additionally, factors such as the shape and size of the component, as well as the type of loading it experiences, can also impact the rate of low cycle fatigue.

5. How is low cycle fatigue tested and measured?

Low cycle fatigue is typically tested by subjecting a material to repetitive loading at various stress levels and measuring the number of cycles it can withstand before failure. This data is then used to create a stress-life curve, which can be used to predict the fatigue life of the material under different stress levels. Low cycle fatigue can also be measured using techniques such as strain gauges and acoustic emission monitoring.