Low-level laser therapy: an emerging clinical paradigm

In summary, there is a discussion about the potential effects of near-IR wavelengths on the cells, particularly on mitochondria and the production of ATP and ROS. The idea is that this light could potentially affect biochemical pathways in the body and could be a more direct and efficient approach compared to drugs or biomolecules. There is also a mention of using a fluorescent or phosphorescent compound in conjunction with penetrating radiation to target specific areas in the body. One person shares their experience with using an infrared device for cold sores and its effectiveness.
sanman
Say, has anybody ever heard of this stuff?

http://spie.org/x35504.xml

It seems that certain specific frequencies/wavelengths in the near-IR band can have a very pronounced effect on parts of the cell, like mitochondria and on production of ATP and ROS.

So is it conceivably possible to intimately affect biochemical pathways in the body, by bathing it in light of the correct frequency/wavelength? If so, then that really sounds like quite a disruptive approach.

Biology news on Phys.org

sanman said:
Say, has anybody ever heard of this stuff?

http://spie.org/x35504.xml

It seems that certain specific frequencies/wavelengths in the near-IR band can have a very pronounced effect on parts of the cell, like mitochondria and on production of ATP and ROS.

So is it conceivably possible to intimately affect biochemical pathways in the body, by bathing it in light of the correct frequency/wavelength? If so, then that really sounds like quite a disruptive approach.

Your skin is opaque to those wavelengths I believe and even if not, much of the light is reflected/absorbed by the skin surface. That means the metabolizing cells are not getting the light.

I read that the melanin in the skin absorbs somewhere near 820 nm, and that the longer 904 nm can pass through. Even if some is reflected, pulsed power can allow enough energy to get through while avoiding excessive heat buildup.

What I find elegant and appealing about this whole photonic approach is that this near-IR wavelength light will transparently pass into the body like a ghost, reaching the target sites unobstructed and conceivably from all angles. This is in contrast to a drug or biomolecule which has to travel down the circulatory system and then through membrane barriers just to get to the target sites inside the cells. These near-IR photons should be an ideal way to maximize the coupling interaction.

What I was thinking about was the beam divergence. Many laser-emitting devices have a high beam divergence, which is normally considered undesirable, but from the standpoint of whole-body treatment this could actually be quite desirable, because it would allow the beam cross-section to expand to cover significant portions of a person's body.

Hey moderators, I didn't realize you had a medical science forum - can you please somehow transfer this thread over there?

Last edited:

Interesting. I reckon this could have a profound impact on the ability of neurons to form new connections

chill_factor: The body could be injected with a fluorescent compound that emits visible light when irradiated with a penetrating frequency of EM radiation such as x-rays. Subjecting the body to penetrating radiation causes its fair share of adverse effects though so that may not be a viable approach. From what I read, in situations, radioisotopes can be safely introduced to the body so maybe they could be administered with the fluorescent compound. A phosphorescent compound might work too.

This is interesting. My write uses an infrared device for her cold sores that is more effective than any medication for clearing the sore quickly. Supposedly excites something in the cells. It is a bit longer wavelength, about 1100nm or so.

1. What is low-level laser therapy (LLLT)?

Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) is a non-invasive treatment that uses low-power lasers or light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to stimulate cellular function and promote tissue healing. It has been used in various medical and cosmetic applications, including wound healing, pain management, and hair regrowth.

2. How does LLLT work?

LLLT works by delivering specific wavelengths of light to targeted areas of the body. These wavelengths are absorbed by the mitochondria in cells, which then triggers a series of biochemical reactions that can lead to increased cellular metabolism and production of ATP (the energy source for cells). This can promote tissue repair, reduce inflammation, and alleviate pain.

3. What are the potential benefits of LLLT?

LLLT has been studied and shown to have potential benefits for a variety of conditions, such as musculoskeletal pain, neuropathic pain, arthritis, wound healing, and hair regrowth. It is also considered a safe and non-invasive treatment option with minimal side effects.

4. Is there scientific evidence supporting the effectiveness of LLLT?

Yes, there is growing scientific evidence supporting the effectiveness of LLLT. Numerous studies have been conducted on its use in various medical and cosmetic applications, and while more research is still needed, the results so far have been promising. However, it is important to note that LLLT may not work for everyone and should be used in conjunction with other treatments as recommended by a healthcare professional.

5. Is LLLT safe?

Yes, LLLT is generally considered a safe treatment option with minimal side effects. The most common side effects reported include temporary mild pain or discomfort during treatment and temporary redness or irritation of the skin. However, as with any medical treatment, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using LLLT and to follow proper safety protocols.

Back