How Do I Solve Part C of a Low Pass Filter Exam Problem?

In summary: Ok, so in terms of gain, your new Z equivalent is: 9999/Z0 = 10000. So Vout/Vin would be 10000/9999 = 1.25.
Synops
Exams are coming up and I've been doing some revision from past papers. Having issues with working out part c of the attached problem. I've already calculated part a and b, possibly correct. Basically I simplified resistances and capacitance. And to have a constant frequency I let Z equal the inverse of the simplified resistance to cancel ω the frequency component. I then used this information to determine a new resistance and capacitance that had no ω component.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• low pass filter.jpg
    low pass filter.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 504
Physics news on Phys.org
If you did parts a and b correctly (they're really the same question) then you got R1C1 = R2C2 where 1/Z = G1 + sC1, G1 = 1/R1, and R2 = 1/G2 = 10K and C2 = 1 nF.

Now R1 → 2R1 so what is your new transfer function? And same question when R1 → R1/2. Do you know how to draw Bode plots?

Part 1 c iii does not specify the circuit so can't be answered.

Not sure exactly what you meant by your answer to the first two parts.. However the way i calculated it was by simplifying the resistor and capacitor in parallel. This gave me 1x10^4 + 1x10^6/jw. Then I assumed that to remove jw, since Z is now in series with this equivalent resistance, it would have to equal -1x10^6/jw.

For part b. I assumed a resistor of 1Ω in parallel with a capacitor of 0.1x10^-6. Simplifying this to obtain 1x10^6/jw + 1. I assume this answer would be negative as that's how it would cancel if it was added in series. This is the new realized Z which then adds to the result of the previous question which gave a result of 9999Ω. Which has no ω component.

Is this the correct approach?

Also, I'm not sure how to draw a bode plot. I've done them in practical classes with a simulation program called SPICE, however the book doesn't explain how to draw them very well.. Would you mind giving me an overview of the process?

Last edited:
Synops said:
Not sure exactly what you meant by your answer to the first two parts.. However the way i calculated it was by simplifying the resistor and capacitor in parallel. This gave me 1x10^4 + 1x10^6/jw.

What do you mean by 'simplifying'? Do you mean determining the combined impedance of the 10K resistor and 1 nF capacitor in parallel? If so, you did that wrong. Y = G + jwC so Z = 1/Y where G = 1/R. The real part of the complex impedance of the 10K and 1 nF is frequency-dependent.

BTW 1 nF = 10^(-9)F, not 10^(-6).

So you don't have the correct network for frequency-independent gain yet.

In this situation I know from experience that it's much easier to deal in admittance Y, conductance G and susceptance B than impedance Z, resistance R and reactance X. The relations are simple: Y = 1/Z, B = 1/X and G = 1/R. Example: for a capacitor, B = wC and Y = jB.

You'll recall that for parallel-connected components, susceptances are added: so for your R and C, Y = G + jB = G + jwC, G = 1/R.

Given the above, what is Vout/Vin of your diagram if we replace Z with Y = 1/Z?

Also, I'm not sure how to draw a bode plot. I've done them in practical classes with a simulation program called SPICE, however the book doesn't explain how to draw them very well.. Would you mind giving me an overview of the process?

This is much too long a subject for me to discuss here. Look at

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mastascu/econtrolhtml/Freq/Freq5.html or

www.dartmouth.edu/~sullivan/22files/Bode_plots.pdf

Ok thanks for all your help!

Just to get me back on track, Z is meant to equal Z0 which is: 1/(1x10^(-9)jw + 1/10000)?

I just used the relationships you were describing to find: Y = 1 x 10^(-9)jw + 1/10000

Then to find Impedance: Z = 1/Y, therefore Z = 1/(1x10^(-9)jw + 1/10000)

Is this correct so far?

Synops said:
Ok thanks for all your help!

Just to get me back on track, Z is meant to equal Z0 which is: 1/(1x10^(-9)jw + 1/10000)?

I just used the relationships you were describing to find: Y = 1 x 10^(-9)jw + 1/10000

Then to find Impedance: Z = 1/Y, therefore Z = 1/(1x10^(-9)jw + 1/10000)

Is this correct so far?

Fine so far! But forget Z of your network. You'll be dealing with Y's instead.

Also, don't put in numbers yet. Call the 1 nF = C2 and the 10K = R2 = 1/G2.

Now, what is Vout/Vin in terms of this Y2 = G2 + jwC2 and the Y equivalent of the Z as marked on your diagram? Defie Y1 = 1/Z.

1. What is a low pass filter?

A low pass filter is a type of electronic circuit that allows low frequency signals to pass through while attenuating or blocking high frequency signals. It is commonly used in audio and video applications to remove unwanted noise or distortion from signals.

2. How does a low pass filter work?

A low pass filter works by using capacitors and resistors to selectively pass low frequency signals while blocking high frequency signals. The cutoff frequency, or point at which the filter starts to attenuate high frequencies, can be adjusted by changing the values of the components used in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of Part C in the Low Pass Filter Exam?

Part C in the Low Pass Filter Exam is designed to test your understanding of how to design and analyze low pass filter circuits using the appropriate equations and calculations. It may also require you to demonstrate your knowledge of different types of filters and their applications.

4. What are some common challenges when working on Part C of the Low Pass Filter Exam?

Some common challenges when working on Part C of the Low Pass Filter Exam may include understanding the different types of filters and their properties, choosing the correct components for a specific cutoff frequency, and accurately calculating the gain and frequency response of a filter circuit.

5. How can I prepare for Part C of the Low Pass Filter Exam?

To prepare for Part C of the Low Pass Filter Exam, it is important to review the basic principles of low pass filter circuits, understand the different types of filters and their applications, and practice solving problems and analyzing filter circuits. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor and use resources like textbooks and online tutorials.