Lower Q of Crystal or Ceramic Resonator

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of building a RF oscillator for a school project, with a focus on using ceramic or crystal oscillators. The high Q factor of these oscillators presents a challenge, and the person asks if placing a resistor in series or parallel could lower the Q. The project also utilizes a super-regenerative receiver, which limits the type of oscillators that can be used. The person also mentions looking at designs from others, such as a UJT-based quench oscillator, for inspiration.
Fischer777
I'm working on a school project that requires me to build a RF oscillator that is able to be started and stopped at about 100kHz. Ceramic or crystal oscillators would be good because of their tiny size, however, the high Q factor creates a problem. So my question was, can placing a resistor in series/parallel with a ceramic or crystal oscillator work to lower its Q? Or some other method? The project utilizes a super-regenerative receiver, so that limits the kind of oscillators to feedback.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Fischer777. I can't answer your specific question, I'll leave that for others to address.

I confess I'm not as brave as you. I'd look around at the work of others who have gone before, and I'd adopt something emerging from their toil. For example, a quick search found this design with a UJT-based quench oscillator:- http://members.iinet.net.au/~cool386/6tr/srrx.html

Good luck with the team project!

Last edited:
Likes Fischer777

What is the Q of a crystal or ceramic resonator?

The Q of a crystal or ceramic resonator is a measure of its quality factor, which is a measure of how well the resonator can store and transfer energy. A higher Q value indicates a more efficient resonator.

What is the difference between a crystal and ceramic resonator?

A crystal resonator is made from a natural crystal such as quartz, while a ceramic resonator is made from a man-made ceramic material. Crystals have a higher Q value and are more stable, while ceramic resonators have a lower Q value but are more cost-effective.

How does the Q of a resonator affect its performance?

The Q of a resonator affects its performance in terms of frequency stability and noise level. A higher Q value leads to a more stable frequency and lower noise, making it more suitable for precision applications.

Can the Q of a resonator be adjusted?

Yes, the Q of a resonator can be adjusted by changing the physical dimensions or the materials used. For example, increasing the thickness of the resonator will increase its Q, while using materials with lower losses will also increase the Q.

What factors can affect the Q of a resonator?

The Q of a resonator can be affected by factors such as temperature, aging, and external vibrations. These factors can cause changes in the resonator's physical properties and can lead to a decrease in its Q value over time.