LS-Coupling: intuition why 2p^2 has no singlet P?

In summary, the microstate-counting approach can be used to find the term symbols for a given configuration, but there is a conceptual gap when it comes to adding angular momentum in quantum mechanics. When adding two electrons with l=1 and s=1/2, the singlet P state appears, which is not accounted for in the microstate counting treatment. This is due to the Pauli principle, as the orbital part of the wavefunction for a P state is antisymmetric, requiring the spin function to be symmetric and resulting in a triplet state. Therefore, the singlet P state is forbidden.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I get the microstate-counting approach to finding the term symbols for a given configuration. But based on what I know about addition of angular momentum in quantum mechanics, I feel like there's a conceptual gap. When I do the microstate counting on the 2p##^{2}## configuration, I get singlet S, triplet P, and singlet D states. But when I add two electrons with l = 1 and s = 1/2, I get singlet S, singlet P, triplet P, and singlet D.
To clarify what I mean by adding these two electrons, I mean that I add the two orbital angular momenta l =1 to get values of L = 0,1,2, and I add the two spin angular momenta s = 1/2 to get values of S = 0,1. I then look at all six of these hypothetical states and eliminate the ones that violate the Pauli principle, namely the triplet D and triplet S. (These would violate the Pauli principle because they would require electrons with parallel spin AND parallel orbital angular momenta.) However, this leaves me with the extra singlet P state that does not appear in the microstate counting treatment. Where is my misconception here? What is forbidden about the singlet P state?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you referring to atomic electron orbitals or the CM system of two electrons? In general, two electrons in their CM frame obey the rule L+S is even. (It can be derived from the Pauli rule.) I think its also true in any other frame but my mind is playing tricks on me (it happens when you get to 70!) and I can't be sure at this moment.

That actually makes sense, thanks! Even L + S would give you an antisymmetric spin state, and that would guarantee Pauli exclusion. Does that sound about right?

Yes.

Yes, this is due to the Pauli principle. Namely the orbital part of the wavefunction of a P state is antisymmetric with respect to exchange of the electrons, so the spin function has to be symmetric, i.e. a triplett. For example the P state with M= 1 is ##p_{+1}(1)p_{0}(2)-p_{0}(1)p_{+1}(2)##, while the state ##p_{+1}(1)p_{0}(2)+p_{0}(1)p_{+1}(2)## is the D-state with M=1.

Likes Twigg, DrClaude and vanhees71

1. Why does 2p^2 have no singlet P state in LS-coupling?

In LS-coupling, the total angular momentum (J) is determined by the coupling of the individual orbital angular momentum (L) and spin angular momentum (S) of the electrons. For 2p^2, the two p-orbitals each have one electron with opposite spins. This results in a net spin of zero, meaning that the total angular momentum (J) is also zero. As a result, there is no singlet P state in LS-coupling.

2. How does LS-coupling relate to electron configuration?

In LS-coupling, the electron configuration is written as (noble gas core) + (outermost subshell with any additional electrons). The noble gas core represents the completely filled inner shells, while the outermost subshell represents the partially filled subshell that determines the element's properties. This notation allows for a quick understanding of an element's electron configuration and its expected electron behavior in chemical reactions.

3. What is the difference between LS-coupling and jj-coupling?

In LS-coupling, the total angular momentum (J) is determined by the coupling of the individual orbital angular momentum (L) and spin angular momentum (S) of the electrons. This is applicable for light elements with low atomic numbers. In jj-coupling, the total angular momentum (J) is determined by the coupling of the individual orbital angular momentum (l) and spin angular momentum (j) of each individual electron. This is applicable for heavy elements with high atomic numbers.

4. How does LS-coupling explain the Hund's rule of maximum multiplicity?

LS-coupling explains Hund's rule of maximum multiplicity by stating that, in an atom with partially filled subshells, the electrons will arrange themselves in such a way to maximize the total spin. This means that if there are two or more orbitals with the same energy level, the electrons will fill them with parallel spins to maximize the total spin and therefore the total angular momentum (J).

5. Can LS-coupling be applied to atoms with more than one valence electron?

Yes, LS-coupling can be applied to atoms with more than one valence electron. In these cases, the individual orbital angular momentum (L) and spin angular momentum (S) values are added together for each valence electron to determine the total angular momentum (J). However, for heavier elements, jj-coupling may be a more accurate approach.