LSZ formula and Field Strength renormalization factor

In summary, the role of Field Strength renormalization ##Z_\psi=1+\delta_\psi## in computing amplitudes is to correct for the effects of external legs. The correct formula for a 2 to 2 scattering is given by multiplying the sum of amplitudes by ##\sqrt{Z_\psi}## for each external leg. This includes all possible connected and amputed diagrams, as well as countertems diagrams. To compute a scattering amplitude in QED, such as ##e^- \mu^- \to e^- \mu^-##, one must sum the tree level diagram with fermions exchanging a photon, diagrams with loops in the vertex and photon, and counterterm diagrams, and then multiply by ##
Luca_Mantani
Hi all,
I have doubts on the role of the Field Strength renormalization ##Z_\psi=1+\delta_\psi## when computing amplitudes. I never did this, maybe because it was not needed before, but i noticed that in the solution of a specific problem, to obtain the correct result, you need to multiply the sum of the amplitudes by ##\sqrt{Z_\psi}## for every external leg. So it seems that the correct formula, for a 2 to 2 scattering for example, is:
$$Z_\psi^2(A_1+A_2+ ... + A_n)$$
where ##A_i## are all the possible connected and amputed diagrams and they also include all the countertems diagrams, is that right?

So to be clear, if i have to compute scattering amplitude in QED for ##e^- \mu^- \to e^- \mu^- ## i sum the tree level diagram with the fermions exchanging a photon, the diagrams with the loop in the vertex, the diagram with the loop in the photon, the diagram with the counterterm for the vertex and the diagram with the counterterm for the photon self-energy. Then i multiply everything for ##Z_\psi^2##.

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's right. Have a look at Bjorken, Drell Vol. 2, where this is discussed with some more care than in many modern textbooks.

1. What is the LSZ formula and how is it used in quantum field theory?

The LSZ formula, named after its creators Lehmann, Symanzik, and Zimmermann, is an important tool in quantum field theory that relates the scattering amplitudes of particles to the matrix elements of the corresponding field operators. It allows us to calculate the probability of a certain interaction between particles by taking into account the initial and final states of the particles.

2. How does the LSZ formula take into account the interactions between particles?

The LSZ formula includes a term known as the field strength renormalization factor, which takes into account the interactions between particles and ensures that the scattering amplitudes are finite and well-defined. This factor is determined by the coupling constants in the theory and is essential for the consistency of the theory.

3. What is the significance of the field strength renormalization factor in quantum field theory?

The field strength renormalization factor is a fundamental aspect of quantum field theory as it allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions. It also helps us to understand the effects of quantum fluctuations and to calculate physical observables such as cross sections and decay rates.

4. How is the field strength renormalization factor calculated?

The field strength renormalization factor is calculated through a process called renormalization, which involves removing the infinities that arise in quantum field theory calculations. This is done by rescaling the fields and coupling constants, and the resulting value of the renormalization factor depends on the specific theory and the chosen renormalization scheme.

5. Can the LSZ formula and field strength renormalization factor be applied to all quantum field theories?

Yes, the LSZ formula and field strength renormalization factor can be applied to all quantum field theories, including the Standard Model of particle physics. However, the specific calculations and values of the renormalization factor may vary depending on the theory and the chosen renormalization scheme.