Renormalization Conditions of QED

In summary: In the former case, the electric charge is fixed to a certain value and the rest of the parameters are renormalized using the usual mass- and field-strength renormalization conditions. However, in the latter case the electric charge is allowed to vary with the parameters and the photonmomentum is also renormalized in a way that depends on the charge.
Gaussian97
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
What is exactly the renormalization condition for the QED vertex?
Hello, I'm studying the renormalization of QED. I have the Lagrangian
$$\mathscr{L}_{QED}=\mathscr{L}_{physical}+\mathscr{L}_{counterterms}$$
where
$$\mathscr{L}_{physical}=-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+\bar{\psi}(i\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu - m)\psi - e \bar{\psi}\gamma^\mu\psi A_\mu$$
$$\mathscr{L}_{counterterms}=-\frac{1}{4}\delta_3 F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+\bar{\psi}(i\delta_2\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu - \delta_m)\psi - e \delta_1\bar{\psi}\gamma^\mu\psi A_\mu$$

with ##\delta_k## the counterterms, fixed by the renormalization conditions.

I don't have problems with the mass and field-strengths renormalization conditions, my problem is with the condition for the electric charge renormalization.
If ##-ie\Gamma^\mu(p', p)## is the amplitude for the 1PI vertex diagrams with ##p'## and ##p## the electron momenta, the renormalization condition is usually stated by imposing that, when the photon is on-shell (##q^2=0##) then this amplitude must reduce to ##\Gamma^\mu = \gamma^\mu##.

My question is: In general, the momenta of the electrons in the vertex don't need to be on-shell, right? Then, do I need to impose on-shell electrons to determine the value of ##\delta_1##? Because, if I understand this properly, ##\delta_1## should be independent of ##p## and ##p'## and I don't see how this is possible if I don't fix them.

My question arises because all the calculations that I've seen assume on-shell electrons, and I don't understand if:
1- By definition ##\Gamma^\mu## must have on-shell electrons or
2- The renormalization condition imposes on-shell electrons in addition to the on-shell photon.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since QED is renormalizable in the Dyson sense the counter terms necessary to renormalize the theory look precisely as the ones in the original Lagrangian. If you use dim. reg. and minimal subtraction this will be automatically fulfilled and you also don't run into trouble with introducing additional IR problem when using a "physical renormalization scheme". Also note that there's a Ward identity, implying ##\delta_1=\delta_2##. This is important, because it's necessary to keep the counter-term Lagrangian gauge invariant as it must be.

Of course, the finite part of the vertex renormalization leads to important additional terms as the contribution to the magnetic moment of the electron, which was one of the early radiative-correction calculations (first done by Schwinger) in agreement with experiment.

vanhees71 said:
Since QED is renormalizable in the Dyson sense the counter terms necessary to renormalize the theory look precisely as the ones in the original Lagrangian. If you use dim. reg. and minimal subtraction this will be automatically fulfilled and you also don't run into trouble with introducing additional IR problem when using a "physical renormalization scheme". Also note that there's a Ward identity, implying ##\delta_1=\delta_2##. This is important, because it's necessary to keep the counter-term Lagrangian gauge invariant as it must be.

Of course, the finite part of the vertex renormalization leads to important additional terms as the contribution to the magnetic moment of the electron, which was one of the early radiative-correction calculations (first done by Schwinger) in agreement with experiment.
Ok thanks, but I'm not sure how to extract the answer to my question from here, can you be a little more specific?

For a nice discussion of renormalization of QED (and also QCD), see

https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0508242

There both the mass-independent ##\overline{\text{MS}}## renormalization scheme as well as the socalled "on-shell" renormalization scheme are described in detail.

Likes dextercioby

1. What is the purpose of renormalization in quantum electrodynamics (QED)?

Renormalization is a mathematical technique used in QED to remove infinities that arise in certain calculations. These infinities are a result of considering point-like particles and ignoring the effects of virtual particles, and renormalization allows for a more accurate and consistent description of the physical phenomena.

2. How are renormalization conditions chosen in QED?

The renormalization conditions in QED are typically chosen based on experimental results. These conditions serve as constraints on the parameters in the theory, allowing for a more accurate prediction of physical observables.

3. What is the role of the fine structure constant in renormalization of QED?

The fine structure constant, denoted by α, is a dimensionless parameter in QED that characterizes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between particles. It appears in the renormalization process as a coupling constant and is used to calculate the probability of an interaction occurring.

4. How does renormalization affect the predictions of QED?

Renormalization modifies the predictions of QED by accounting for the effects of virtual particles and removing infinities that arise in calculations. This results in more accurate and consistent predictions of physical observables, such as the electromagnetic coupling strength and the energy levels of atoms.

5. Are there any limitations to the renormalization process in QED?

While renormalization is a powerful technique in QED, it does have its limitations. It is only applicable to theories with a finite number of parameters, and it cannot be used to remove all infinities. Additionally, the choice of renormalization conditions can affect the predictions, so care must be taken in their selection.