LSZ, perturbation and renormalization

In summary, renormalization is a process that involves normalizing fields in order to account for extra parameters that arise during the regularization procedure. It is an improvement on previous understanding of renormalization as a method for dealing with infinities. However, it is also believed to be unrelated to perturbation theory and instead stems from incomplete information. Nonperturbative methods also require renormalization or a similar mechanism to introduce the same number of parameters. The concept of renormalization is further confirmed by the study of renormalization group, which is considered to be essentially non-perturbative. While related, there is a distinction between renormalization and renormalization group. Renormalization is necessary to avoid infinities in
diegzumillo
My current understanding of renormalization is that the LSZ formula requires normalized fields. So when you normalize them you get some extra parameters from the regularization procedure you encounter along the way. It's an upgrade on my previous understanding of it as some artificial way of hammering out infinities that arise. However, my current understanding also suggests renormalization is unrelated to perturbation theory, but rather stems from incomplete information, so any nonperturbative method should require renormalization or an analogous mechanism that introduces the same number of parameters.

Does that make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since I got an auto-bump, I have been reading about renormalization group and it seems to confirm the basic idea. There's this book called lectures on phase transitions and the renormalization group by Nigel Goldenfeld where he explicitly mentions that RG is essentially non-perturbative. I'm still learning about RG but it seems to be the right thread to start pulling. But I'm not entirely convinced RG and renormalization are exactly the same thing. Certainly related though.

I don't have a PhD, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But, from what I understand, renormalization is when a loop or something similar arises in a diagram and you need to take out any possible infinities; because any infinity in an actual calculation would make the diagram, and thenceforth the theory non-quantum. So it doesn't really come out of perturbation theory. But it is similar.

The book I'm reading is Introduction to Elementary Particles by Griffiths. It's a really good for a lot of the harder parts of physics.

1. What is LSZ reduction and how is it related to perturbation theory?

LSZ reduction is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to calculate the scattering amplitudes of particles. It is closely related to perturbation theory, which is a method for calculating the behavior of a physical system by breaking it down into simpler, more manageable parts.

2. What is the significance of renormalization in quantum field theory?

Renormalization is a technique used to remove divergences in quantum field theory calculations. These divergences arise due to the infinite self-energy of elementary particles, and without renormalization, the theory would produce nonsensical results. By renormalizing the theory, we are able to extract meaningful physical predictions.

3. How does perturbation theory help us understand the behavior of complex systems?

Perturbation theory is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of complex systems by breaking them down into simpler, more manageable parts. By treating small changes in the system as "perturbations," we can calculate how the system will respond to these changes and make predictions about its behavior.

4. Can renormalization be applied to all quantum field theories?

Yes, renormalization is a universal technique in quantum field theory and can be applied to all types of theories, including the Standard Model of particle physics. It is an essential tool for making accurate predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions.

5. How does LSZ reduction help us understand the scattering of particles?

LSZ reduction allows us to calculate the scattering amplitudes of particles by relating them to the correlation functions of the underlying quantum field theory. This allows us to make predictions about the probability of particles scattering off each other and understand the behavior of complex systems at a fundamental level.