Cut-off Regularization of Chiral Perturbation Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of counter-terms in ChPT calculations using different regularization methods. It is mentioned that at one-loop order using a Lagrangian of order p^2, there are counter-terms of order p^4 that take care of polynomial divergences and 1/epsilon divergences in dimensional regularization. However, in the case of cut-off regularization, there is only a logarithmic divergence which can be absorbed through coupling constant renormalization. The purpose of counter-terms in this case is to introduce coupling constants that can cancel out the divergent term in the loop calculations.
quantatanu0
I was trying to learn renormalization in the context of ChPT using momentum-space cut-off regularization procedure at one-loop order using order of p^2 Lagrangian. So,

1. There are counter terms in ChPT of order of [tex] p^4 [/tex] when calculating in one-loop order using Lagrangian of order [tex] p^2 [/tex].

2. Divergences are of polynomial kind and logarithmic kind.

3. The counter terms always take care of polynomial divergences (and [tex] 1/\epsilon [/tex] kind of div. in dimensional method)

4. The logarythmic divergence gets absorbed during coupling constant renormalization.During my calculation using cut-off method I obtained a result where I have only logarithmic divergence and no other divergent term, then I need to understand what is the use of counter-terms in this case.

In any case, we have to consider the counter-terms in ChPT but here we are not doing dimensional regularization so no [tex] 1/\epsilon [/tex] to get killed by the counter terms, and in my calculation involving cut-off regularization, I have no polynomial divergence either ! Only logarithmic divergence, then what is the use of the counter-terms here ?

OK, I am happy to tell you guys that I have figured it out. Here's what I do:

Let's say the counter terms introduce coupling constants (low energy constants) [tex] L_i , i=1,2,... n [/tex] and the divergent term coming from the loop calculations is [tex] D [/tex], and this can be any kind of divergence, log, polynomial, and/or any other kind (separately or together). Then:

[tex] L_i = L^r_i + c_i \frac{D}{n} [/tex] where [tex] c_i [/tex] are constants that one chooses in a way that the divergence gets canceled by the counter terms. And this is all.

1. What is cut-off regularization in chiral perturbation theory?

Cut-off regularization is a method used in chiral perturbation theory to account for the effects of high-energy modes on the low-energy dynamics of a system. It involves introducing a cut-off scale, which restricts the energy of virtual particles that contribute to the calculations.

2. Why is cut-off regularization necessary in chiral perturbation theory?

In chiral perturbation theory, the interactions between particles are described by effective field theories, which are only valid at low energies. However, the theory must also account for the effects of high-energy particles. Cut-off regularization allows for the inclusion of these high-energy modes while still maintaining the validity of the low-energy effective theory.

3. How does cut-off regularization affect the predictions of chiral perturbation theory?

Cut-off regularization can have a significant impact on the predictions of chiral perturbation theory. It helps to improve the convergence of the calculations and allows for more accurate predictions at low energies. However, the results may still be dependent on the chosen cut-off scale, which can introduce some uncertainty into the predictions.

4. Are there any limitations to using cut-off regularization in chiral perturbation theory?

While cut-off regularization is a useful tool in chiral perturbation theory, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable in all situations, such as when dealing with systems with strong interactions. Additionally, the results may be sensitive to the choice of cut-off scale, which can introduce some uncertainty into the predictions.

5. Are there alternative regularization methods in chiral perturbation theory?

Yes, there are alternative regularization methods in chiral perturbation theory, such as dimensional regularization and lattice regularization. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of regularization method may depend on the specific system being studied. Cut-off regularization remains a popular choice due to its simplicity and ease of implementation.