Lumped parameters model: inverse dynamic

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to convert a ground excitation into an equivalent force excitation for a single degree of freedom model. The suggested methods are the "large mass" and "large stiffness" methods, which involve either adding a large mass to the base or connecting it to the ground with a large stiffness. The use of these methods may vary in multibody simulation tools.
serbring
Hi all, I have a ground excited single degree of freedom model, like that:

http://www.bsw-schwingungstechnik.de/fileadmin/user_upload/images/2/graphic-passiv-isolation.jpg

I know the excitation function, i.e. s(t), but I need to know the force that imposes a specific s(t). I need it, because I want to simulate a model (little bit more complex) with a multibody tool, that it doesn't allow to excite systems with a ground displacement. So I need to convert the ground excitation with an equivalent force excitation. How could I do that for the single degree of freedom model? Any suggestion is appreciated.
Hopefully the problem is well stated.

thanks

Cheers

Pietro

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can model this be adding a large mass (say 1000 times the rest of the model) to the base, and then calculate the force to move the mass according to s(t) ignoring the rest of the model.

Or, you can connect the base to the ground with a large stiffness ##K##, and apply a force ##Ks(t)## to it.

These modelling methods are usually (and unimaginatively!) called the "large mass" and "large stiffness" methods.

AlephZero said:
You can model this be adding a large mass (say 1000 times the rest of the model) to the base, and then calculate the force to move the mass according to s(t) ignoring the rest of the model.

Or, you can connect the base to the ground with a large stiffness ##K##, and apply a force ##Ks(t)## to it.

These modelling methods are usually (and unimaginatively!) called the "large mass" and "large stiffness" methods.

Hi,

thanks for your reply, I tried with the large mass method and it works fine. Which approach do multibody sw use?

Hi alphazero,

I tried the large mass method, but it doesn't work, the ground mass motion is always affected by the rest of the model. Any other suggestion is appreciated.

thanks

regards

1. What is a lumped parameter model?

A lumped parameter model is a simplified mathematical representation of a complex system that assumes all of the system's components can be combined into a single point or element. This model is commonly used in engineering and physics to study the behavior of systems such as mechanical, electrical, and thermal systems.

2. How is a lumped parameter model different from a distributed parameter model?

A distributed parameter model takes into account the spatial variation of a system's parameters, whereas a lumped parameter model assumes all parameters are concentrated at a single location. In other words, a distributed parameter model considers the entire system, while a lumped parameter model only focuses on a specific point or element of the system.

3. What is an inverse dynamic analysis?

An inverse dynamic analysis is a method used to determine the forces and torques acting on a system based on its motion. This analysis is commonly used in biomechanics and robotics to understand the forces and torques that must be generated by muscles or actuators to produce a desired motion.

4. How is inverse dynamic analysis used in a lumped parameter model?

Inverse dynamic analysis can be used in a lumped parameter model to determine the forces and torques acting on the lumped element based on its motion. This can then be used to study the behavior of the entire system and make predictions about its performance.

5. What are the limitations of a lumped parameter model in inverse dynamic analysis?

A lumped parameter model is a simplified representation of a system and therefore may not accurately capture all of the complexities and nuances of the actual system. This can lead to errors and inaccuracies in the results of the inverse dynamic analysis. Additionally, the assumptions made in a lumped parameter model may not hold true for all systems, making it important to carefully consider the applicability of this model for a specific system.