Lyman-Alpha Blobs emit very specific UV light

In summary, Himiko has been in the news and scientists have been able to determine its redshift by how much it's shifted in the light spectrum. This tells them that it's roughly 800 million years after the big bang. Himiko is located 4 billion light-years away from Earth and our current distance is 28.8 billion light-years.
thenewmans
Himiko has been in the news and I’d like to be sure I have the context of this correct. They can tell the light is 12.9 billion years old by how much it’s red shifted. That’s roughly 800 million years after the big bang. In that time, the universe has expanded by a factor of 8. If the light waves stretch by that factor, that pushes visible light into mid or maybe even far infrared part of the EM spectrum.

Himiko is a Lyman-Alpha Blob. They can tell this by the emission lines that show up in a spectrometer. Lyman-Alpha Blobs emit very specific UV light. Us earthbound observers have a tough time seeing that through our atmosphere. Luckily, it’s so redshifted that the lines end up in the visible or infrared parts of the spectrum.

The distance between us and Himiko is now 8 times greater than when that light started its journey. We started off much closer than 12.9 billion light-years apart and we are now much farther apart. So the angular size of Himiko could be misleading. What I mean is Himiko probably looks much closer than you might guess from the age of its light. It looks like it’s only 4 billion light-years away. And that’s how far it actually was when the light left Himiko.

Space news on Phys.org

this is a good calculator example.
put z=7 into wright's calculator

If you are right about the 4 billion LY then you should get that for the "angular size distance".

google "wright calculator"

I get 3.6 billion LY (the distance when the light started out), which is close enough to what you say.
And a present distance of 28.8 billion LY.

z =7 corresponds to an expansion factor of 8, as you said.

Yes! I started with Wright's calculator. Very cool. I should have mentioned that. Plus I did a lot of rounding. I think z=6.6 actually. I just want to be sure I'm not making some obviously wrong assumption about stretching light waves and expansion.

thenewmans said:
Yes! I started with Wright's calculator. Very cool. I should have mentioned that. Plus I did a lot of rounding. I think z=6.6 actually. I just want to be sure I'm not making some obviously wrong assumption about stretching light waves and expansion.

I don't have more precise information to offer---it looks to me like you are doing fine with whatever sources you have.

I gather that one of the authors is Masami Ouchi. We could look him up and see if there is a technical journal article.

Try this search engine:
http://arxiv.org/find

I tried it and got this:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0807.4174

which estimated the redshift to be z = 6.6, just what you said!
That article was probably published in the ApJ (astrophysical journal). I don't have anything more definite for the time being.

Here's a BBC (non-techical) piece about it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8007844.stm

Last edited:

1. What are Lyman-Alpha Blobs (LABs)?

Lyman-Alpha Blobs are large structures in space that emit a specific type of ultraviolet (UV) light known as Lyman-Alpha radiation. They are some of the largest known objects in the universe, with sizes ranging from tens to hundreds of thousands of light years across.

2. How do LABs emit specific UV light?

LABs emit specific UV light through the ionization of hydrogen gas. As the hot, young stars within LABs release high-energy photons, they interact with surrounding hydrogen gas and cause it to emit Lyman-Alpha radiation.

3. What makes LABs unique compared to other objects in space?

LABs are unique because of their large size and high luminosity. They are also some of the most distant objects in the universe, with some being observed at a redshift of 6 or higher. This makes them important objects to study in order to understand the early stages of galaxy formation.

4. How are LABs detected and studied?

LABs are typically detected through their strong emission of Lyman-Alpha radiation, which can be observed using specialized telescopes and instruments. Scientists also study LABs through other types of light, such as infrared and X-rays, in order to better understand their properties and formation processes.

5. What can we learn from studying LABs?

Studying LABs can provide valuable insights into the early stages of galaxy formation and evolution. By analyzing the properties and distribution of LABs, scientists can better understand how galaxies form and evolve over time. LABs can also help us learn more about the composition and structure of the universe as a whole.