M,N is subset of Hilbert space, show M+N is closed

In summary, the homework statement is that if a subset M of a Hilbert space is closed, then M+N is also closed. The theorem is that if a linear subspace of a Hilbert space is closed, then it's complete.
Fellowroot

Homework Statement

[/B]
Let M, N be a subset of a Hilbert space and be two closed linear subspaces. Assume that (u,v)=0, for all u in M and v in N. Prove that M+N is closed.

problem%205.17_zpsimu2wznt.png

Homework Equations

I believe that (u,v)=0 is an inner product space

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a problem from Haim Brezis's functional analysis book. It seems to be closely related to a typical linear algebra problem but only with Hilbert spaces.

The best thing I could find on this was this, but I need a little help showing this.

solution%20attempt_zpsxnxprkol.png

[edit]

I came across some new info. It has to do with whether N is finite dimensional or not. If N is finite dimensional then yes, M+N can be closed, but it may not be closed if N is infinite dimensional. Apparently I'm supposed to show this with induction on the dimension of N. Can anyone help on this part.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show that a Cauchy Sequence in M + N splits into two Cauchy sequences in M and N. Their limits add to the limit in M + N. Use the definition (of the norm) and the orthogonality. The dimensions shouldn't play a role.

^ I don't think using cauchy sequences does the job here. my teacher said I want to show closed. i don't see how cauchy shows how these spaces are closed.

Fellowroot said:
^ I don't think using cauchy sequences does the job here. my teacher said I want to show closed. i don't see how cauchy shows how these spaces are closed.
Closed has been defined as converging Cauchy sequences by the OP, i.e. one has to show that a Cauchy sequence in M+N has a limit in M+N. It is straight forward.

Oh yeah, apparently you use orthogonal projections.

Your book's definitions are a bit unusual. These are the definitions I'm familiar with: A subset M (of a metric space X) is said to be closed if the limit of every convergent sequence in M is in M. (Convergence with respect to the metric of X doesn't imply that the limit is in M). A metric space M is said to be complete if every Cauchy sequence in M is convergent. (Convergence with respect to the metric of M does imply that the limit is in M).

The following theorem is easy to prove: A linear subspace of a Hilbert space is closed if and only if it's complete.

If you prove that theorem first, you will only need to prove that M+N is closed in the sense defined here. Let ##(x_n)_{n=1}^\infty## be a convergent sequence in M+N. Denote its limit by x. Now prove that x is in M+N, and you're done.

Last edited:

1. What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept used to describe an abstract vector space that has an inner product defined on it. It is named after the German mathematician David Hilbert and is commonly used in functional analysis and quantum mechanics.

2. What does it mean for M and N to be subsets of a Hilbert space?

This means that M and N are both subsets of a larger vector space that has an inner product defined on it. In other words, all the elements in M and N are also elements of the Hilbert space.

3. How is M + N defined in the context of a Hilbert space?

In this context, M + N is defined as the set of all possible sums of elements from M and N. In other words, every element in M + N can be written as the sum of an element from M and an element from N.

4. What does it mean for M + N to be closed?

A set is considered closed if it contains all of its limit points. In the context of a Hilbert space, this means that every sequence of elements in M + N that converges must also have its limit point in M + N. In other words, M + N is closed if it contains all of its possible "endpoints."

5. How do you show that M + N is closed in a Hilbert space?

To show that M + N is closed, you must show that every sequence of elements in M + N that converges also has its limit point in M + N. This can be done by using the properties of inner products and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to show that the limit of the sequence must also be in M + N.