M42 and the Running Man nebula with Takahashi 150mm

In summary, the conversation is about someone's first attempt at astrophotography using itelescope and Astroart. They learned a lot and used a Takahashi 150mm refractor with an SBIG STL-11000M CCD to capture images of M42 and the Running Man nebula. They also discussed using HA as a luminance frame and how they found a solution to avoid strange-looking stars in their images.
Astronomus
First post on PF, thought I'd share my first serious attempt at astrophotography. I used itelescope since it's perpetual cloud cover where I'm at sadly, and all of my processing was done in Astroart. I learned a lot with this, but it's definitely an uphill struggle!

M42ColorFinal.jpg

M42 and the Running Man nebula.

Total exposure time was 40 minutes (10 in R,G,B and Ha each) and the equipment was a Takahashi 150mm refractor with an SBIG STL-11000M CCD.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice. Did you use HA as a luminance frame?

Sort of. I tried to use just the H-alpha image as luminance with the RGB but it made the stars look really weird, especially with large halos around the brighter ones. I looked around and found Rob Gendler's website that discusses ways around this, and it helped a lot. One of his solutions was to lower the opacity of the Ha image relative to the others, then integrate it, and that did the trick for me.

nice shots of M3 and M42 guys!

Congratulations on your first serious attempt at astrophotography! M42 and the Running Man nebula are both stunning subjects to capture and your image looks fantastic. It's great that you were able to use itelescope to overcome the perpetual cloud cover in your area and that you were able to learn a lot through this process. Astrophotography can definitely be an uphill struggle, but it's a rewarding one. Keep up the great work and keep learning and experimenting with different equipment and techniques. Happy stargazing!

1. What is M42 and the Running Man nebula?

M42, also known as the Orion Nebula, is a bright emission nebula located in the Orion constellation. The Running Man nebula is a small part of M42 that appears to resemble a running figure. Both are popular targets for amateur astronomers.

2. What is the Takahashi 150mm telescope?

The Takahashi 150mm telescope is a high-quality refracting telescope manufactured by the Japanese company Takahashi. It has a 150mm aperture and is known for its exceptional optics and precision engineering, making it a popular choice among astrophotographers.

3. How far away is M42 and the Running Man nebula?

M42 and the Running Man nebula are approximately 1,344 light-years away from Earth. This means that the light we see from these nebulae today actually left them 1,344 years ago.

4. Can the Takahashi 150mm telescope capture images of M42 and the Running Man nebula?

Yes, the Takahashi 150mm telescope is capable of capturing stunning images of M42 and the Running Man nebula. Its large aperture and high-quality optics allow for detailed and clear images of these objects.

5. What makes M42 and the Running Man nebula popular targets for astrophotography?

M42 and the Running Man nebula are popular targets for astrophotography due to their brightness and relatively close proximity to Earth. They also have interesting shapes and structures, making them visually striking objects in the night sky.