M51 Photo: 1 Hour Total Integration @ 800/5.6, ISO 2000

• Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photo
In summary, the photographer used a telephoto lens to take a cropped image of M51 and then post-processed it to improve the quality.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
And lo, after 8 days of rain, the night sky did appeareth:

1h_6m_2x.TIF%20RGB-2_zpsx3x9bkzf.jpg

1 hour total integration time@ 800/5.6, ISO 2000.

Likes DennisN, davenn, DrClaude and 2 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice shot. What was your optical train?

Chronos said:
Nice shot. What was your optical train?

Just my telephoto lens and Sony a850... am I misinterpreting? Each exposure was 20s long...(?)

That's an 800mm telephoto lens? Impressive lens! What was it mounted on?

Well Done Andy !

Don't think I can see that one from here in the southern hemisphere ... aahh Stellarium tells me it gets to only a few deg above the horizon :frown: I would be shooting through murky thick atmosphere
I know its a perennial fav for the nthrn hemisphere guys

Im assuming that this was a 100% crop of the original image ( ie. you didn't resize the image out of the camera before cropping)
as M51 wouldn't fill the frame like that with 800mm on a full frame sensor ( nor on a aps-c sensor either for that matter)
and would explain the fuzziness and noise

This thread may be of interest to you astrophotographers ...
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=17500235Dave

russ_watters said:
That's an 800mm telephoto lens? Impressive lens! What was it mounted on?

I rewarded myself three years ago with a Losmandy GM8- and have been extremely happy with it. I went from zero experience to 20s exposures in 15 minutes- alignment is trivial.

Last edited:
davenn said:
<snip>Im assuming that this was a 100% crop of the original image <snip>

Yep- that's a crop. The full frame shows nearby galaxies NGC 5198, IC 4263, and IC 4282. The image I posted here was made from jpgs, which accounts for most for the quality problems- The RAW version looks much better, not sure why I haven't posted that yet...

Likes davenn
Had another good viewing night last weekend, was able to sharpen things up a bit. Here's essentially the full-frame (central 2/3, anyway):

1h_24m_raw.TIF%20RGB_zpss1ebt8vi.jpg

It still needs some work, but the nearby low-surface brightness galaxies IC 4263, NGC 5169, and IC 4278 are clearly visible. Here's the 1:1 closeup:

RGB_2_zpssjqfudfx.jpg

Not bad... now it's time to switch over to the Virgo supercluster (weather permitting...)

Edit- slowly getting the hang of this whole 'post processing' thing...

Last edited:
Likes davenn and Greg Bernhardt

What is "M51 Photo: 1 Hour Total Integration @ 800/5.6, ISO 2000"?

"M51 Photo: 1 Hour Total Integration @ 800/5.6, ISO 2000" refers to a photograph of the Whirlpool Galaxy (also known as Messier 51 or M51) that was taken with a total exposure time of 1 hour, using a camera setting of 800/5.6 and an ISO of 2000.

Why is a long exposure time needed for astrophotography?

A long exposure time is needed for astrophotography because it allows the camera to capture more light from distant objects in the night sky. This is especially important when photographing faint or distant objects like galaxies, which require a longer exposure time to capture enough light to create a clear and detailed image.

What does "ISO" mean in photography?

In photography, ISO refers to the sensitivity of the camera's image sensor to light. A higher ISO value means the sensor is more sensitive to light and can produce brighter images, but it can also result in more noise or graininess in the photo.

What is the significance of the camera setting "800/5.6"?

The camera setting "800/5.6" in this photograph refers to the aperture setting, which controls the amount of light that enters the camera. An aperture of 5.6 means that the lens opening is relatively wide, allowing more light to enter the camera. The setting of 800 indicates the lens is zoomed in, which can also affect the amount of light that enters the camera.

How is astrophotography different from regular photography?

Astrophotography and regular photography are different in terms of subject matter and techniques. Astrophotography focuses on capturing images of celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and planets, using long exposure times and specialized equipment. Regular photography, on the other hand, typically involves photographing everyday subjects and can use a wider range of camera settings and techniques.