Macbook Pro, Linux or PC for CC Physics Major?

In summary, when it comes to software support for a Liberal Arts student majoring in Physics, there are a few options. Some students prefer a Macbook Air or Pro, while others opt for a Dell desktop or laptop with a Linux virtual machine. Additionally, some students use a dual bootable workstation with Windows and Linux. For those needing more power for CAD/CAM software, options could include a gaming rig or workstation PC such as a Lenovo W541 or HP ZBOOK. Overall, it seems that both Macs and PCs are used in the field, with some students even utilizing the Wine Windows App emulator.
TheMacNerd
I'm just starting school as a Liberal Arts intending to major in Physics at my Local CC.
**This question is for FUTURE REFERENCE!***

In regards to software support, what OS would I need? I've heard mixed reports & more forums leaning towards the Macbook Air / Pro side. Is this correct?

I'm intending to transfer out to a 4yr University eventually (ex; University of Washington - Seattle, Indiana University - Bloomington, etc..)

Link to the exact program:

http://www.monroecc.edu/etsdbs/mccatpub.nsf/programsbycode/ls01?opendocument&front-description

Link to the MCC Typical Physics Advisement Sequence:

http://www.monroecc.edu/DAuditSheets.nsf/Web+By+Program/A3214E6E840CA4B685257E060070CD89?OpenDocument

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I use a MacBook Pro, with Microsoft Office (for the Mac) and I use Parallels VMware with Win7 installed since I have to use some software that only operates on Win7.

I have a colleague who uses a Dell desktop and laptop, and he has a VMware with Linux installed.

So it goes either way.

I've also used dual bootable workstation with 4 processors that used Windows 7 Pro and Mandriva Linux, although any Linux/Unix system would probably have worked. In all cases, we use what is compatible with the company's IT system.

Likes Silicon Waffle
I would probably require something higher-powered? Like something closer to a "Gaming rig" or "workstation PC" ex; Lenovo W541, HP ZBOOKs, whatever. I'm aware Physics does require some CAD / CAM Apps / Software. Although there is a hefty amount of software on the Linux support side for Physics software. There is the Wine Windows App emulator / launcher. & I have heard that most CERN Employees & Interns do use Macs the majority of the time. So I guess it does go either way.

1. Which laptop is better for a CC Physics major, Macbook Pro, Linux, or PC?

There is no one "better" laptop for a CC Physics major as it ultimately depends on personal preference. Macbook Pro, Linux, and PC all have their own advantages and disadvantages. It is recommended to research each option and consider your specific needs before making a decision.

2. Can I use a Macbook Pro, Linux, or PC for programming and simulations in CC Physics?

All three laptops can be used for programming and simulations in CC Physics. However, some programs or simulations may be better optimized for a specific operating system. It is best to check with your professors or classmates for their recommendations.

3. Which laptop is more cost-effective for a CC Physics major, Macbook Pro, Linux, or PC?

Generally, Linux and PC tend to be more cost-effective options compared to Macbook Pro. Macbook Pro is known for its higher price point, but it also has a more streamlined and user-friendly interface. It is important to consider your budget and needs when deciding on a laptop.

4. Are there any specific programs or software that can only be used on a Macbook Pro, Linux, or PC for CC Physics?

There may be some programs or software that are only compatible with a specific operating system. It is best to consult with your professors or classmates to confirm this information. Additionally, most programs and software have alternative versions or similar alternatives that can be used on other operating systems.

5. Which laptop has better battery life for a CC Physics major, Macbook Pro, Linux, or PC?

Battery life can vary depending on usage and specific models of each laptop. However, Macbook Pro is known for having longer battery life compared to Linux and PC. It is recommended to check the specifications of each laptop and read reviews to get an idea of their battery life performance.