Mach's Principle in Particle Physics

In summary: If not, what other properties might be due to its interaction with other particles?In summary, according to the participants, Mach's principle does not hold true in the context of particle physics. However, if a particle does not have its own antiparticle, it will naturally couple to the EM field.
Eynstone
Is there a version of Mach's Principle in Particle Physics? If yes, does it hold true?
A version could possibly look as follows: certain properties of a particle can be attributed entirely to the existence of other particles ( for instance, can the charge of a particle be attributed to the existence of its antiparticle?).
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
well if a particle has an antiparticle that is not itself then it is described by some kind of complex field (i think?) then writing down a real Lagrangian will force you to introduce a U(1) symmetry (i think) which means that it you should probably couple it to the EM field since that is what always happens in the standard model. so yes if a particle is not its own antiparticle it will naturally couple to the EM field. Note however that this doesn't tell you the value of its charge, only that it should be charged.

IMO there isn't a version of Mach's principle that is true for gravity, so I'm not sure it makes sense to imagine expanding something that's not true for gravity into something that would be true for the standard model.

When I say it's not true for gravity, what I mean is that the best candidate anyone's found for a Machian theory of gravity is Brans-Dicke gravity with a small value of the constant omega. But B-D gravity with small omega is inconsistent with observation.

bobloblaw said:
well if a particle has an antiparticle that is not itself then it is described by some kind of complex field (i think?) then writing down a real Lagrangian will force you to introduce a U(1) symmetry (i think) which means that it you should probably couple it to the EM field since that is what always happens in the standard model. so yes if a particle is not its own antiparticle it will naturally couple to the EM field. Note however that this doesn't tell you the value of its charge, only that it should be charged.

I thought on similar lines. Although I'm aware that Mach's principle is not valid for gravity, I hope to find an analogue/modification of Mach's principle for the standard model.
Also, are the properties of a particle (such as spin, charge &c.) entirely due to its interaction with other particles?

Related to Mach's Principle in Particle Physics

1. What is Mach's Principle in Particle Physics?

Mach's Principle is a concept in particle physics that suggests that the inertial mass of an object is determined by the gravitational influence of all other matter in the universe.

2. Who proposed Mach's Principle?

Mach's Principle was originally proposed by Austrian physicist and philosopher Ernst Mach in the late 19th century.

3. How does Mach's Principle relate to the behavior of particles?

In particle physics, Mach's Principle suggests that the behavior of particles is not only influenced by local interactions, but also by the gravitational effects of all other particles in the universe.

4. Is Mach's Principle widely accepted in the scientific community?

There is still significant debate and discussion surrounding Mach's Principle in particle physics. While some scientists support the concept, others argue that it is not necessary to explain the behavior of particles.

5. What are some current theories and experiments related to Mach's Principle in particle physics?

Some current theories and experiments related to Mach's Principle include the study of dark matter and dark energy, as well as the search for a unified theory of quantum mechanics and gravity.