Mad Money From Fellowships Ph.D Programs

In summary, the individual has been accepted into top 20 Ph.D programs in theoretical physics with generous stipends. They are wondering if it is common to apply for external fellowships to supplement their income while in graduate school. It is generally known that external fellowships will replace the stipend, but some institutions may allow students to teach while on fellowship. However, there are limits on teaching hours and if the stipend is higher than the fellowship, the school may supplement the difference. The individual plans to apply for a $40,000 fellowship and continue teaching for extra income and teaching experience.
xdrgnh
So I got into some good top 20 Ph.D programs in theoretical physics and have received some generous stipends. Is it common to further augment my income by applying for external fellowships while I'm in graduate school?

Physics news on Phys.org
xdrgnh said:
So I got into some good top 20 Ph.D programs in theoretical physics and have received some generous stipends. Is it common to further augment my income by applying for external fellowships while I'm in graduate school?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but generally your external fellowships will replace your stipend... so you may make the same amount of money, just where it comes from will be different.

If you are talking about ones like NSF, NDSEG, or Hertz, they cover your tuition and stipend so you don't need to get an RA or teach (NSF actually limits the amount you can teach since they want you to be doing research). If your stipend is less than the NSF, I believe you just keep the extra money. If your stipend is more than the NSF (mine is by a few hundred dollars) the school will often just supplement it.

However, at some institutions if you teach while on the NSF (which you can only do at most like 10-15 hours a week one semester per year) you will get paid to teach on top of your stipend.

Thanks Radium. I plan to apply for that 40,000 dollar fellowship but still teach on the side so I can earn some extra money and get more teaching experience which will help me become a professor.

1. What is "Mad Money" in the context of fellowships for Ph.D programs?

"Mad Money" refers to the additional funds or stipend that is provided to Ph.D students in addition to their tuition and fees. This money is meant to cover living expenses and other costs associated with being a full-time student, such as books, housing, and transportation.

2. How can I find out if a Ph.D program offers "Mad Money" as part of their fellowship package?

You can research the specific Ph.D program you are interested in and look for information on their website or contact the program directly to inquire about fellowship opportunities and the amount of "Mad Money" provided to students.

3. Are there any eligibility requirements for receiving "Mad Money" from a fellowship for a Ph.D program?

Each fellowship program may have different eligibility requirements, but typically students must be accepted into a Ph.D program and meet certain academic and financial need criteria. Some programs may also require students to maintain a certain GPA or fulfill certain duties, such as teaching or research assistantships, to receive "Mad Money".

4. Can "Mad Money" from a fellowship for a Ph.D program be used for any purpose?

While "Mad Money" is meant to cover living expenses, it is ultimately up to the student to decide how to use the funds. Some students may choose to use it solely for living expenses, while others may use it to cover additional costs related to their academic pursuits, such as attending conferences or purchasing equipment for research.

5. Is "Mad Money" provided to all students in a Ph.D program or only to those who receive fellowships?

"Mad Money" is typically only provided to students who receive fellowships, as it is a form of financial aid. However, some Ph.D programs may offer additional funding or stipends to all students, regardless of whether they have a fellowship or not.