Magellanic Clouds — two irregular dwarf galaxies in the Milky Way

In summary, astronomers have discovered that our galaxy, the Milky Way, is not unique in the universe as it has a pairing with two irregular dwarf galaxies, the Magellanic Clouds. These dwarf galaxies have other similar configurations and their existence and location have been confirmed. They are located approximately 170,000 light years away from Earth and can be seen in the southern part of the celestial sphere. The large Magellanic Cloud has a diameter of 14,000 light years while the small Magellanic Cloud has a diameter of 7,000 light years. Their respective distances are 160,000 light years and 200,000 light years. To locate them, one can use a planetarium program called Stellarium.
Philosophaie
In a recent article:

http://io9.com/5937295/astronomers-discover-milky-ways-twin-magellanic-clouds-and-all

Our galaxy is not particularly special in the universe.

Its pairing with the Magellanic Clouds — two irregular dwarf galaxies has other similar configurations out there.

I would like to confirm the existence and location of these irregular dwarf galaxies.

How close they are and the collision rate.

Also could we discuss the Magellanic Cloud. How big it is, where it is located.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Philosophaie said:
In a recent article:

http://io9.com/5937295/astronomers-discover-milky-ways-twin-magellanic-clouds-and-all

Its pairing with the Magellanic Clouds — two irregular dwarf galaxies has other similar configurations out there.
I would like to confirm the existence and location of these irregular dwarf galaxies.

These irregular dwarf galaxies ? which ones ? The Magellanic Clouds ? look on any star map and it will tell you their location in the sky.
They are not IN the Milky Way as you said in your title. They orbit our Milky Way galaxy
all that info is readily available ... for example... the Magellanic Clouds are ~ 170,000 light years away from Earth.

this has to be a well known galaxy with the highest known count of companion galaxies, from wiki...

The Andromeda Galaxy (M31) has satellite galaxies just like the Milky Way Galaxy. Orbiting M31 are at least 14 dwarf galaxies: the brightest and largest is M32, which can be seen with a backyard telescope. The second brightest and closest one to M32 is M110. The other galaxies are fainter, and were mostly discovered only starting from the 1970s.

On January 11, 2006, it was announced that Andromeda's faint companion galaxies lie on or close to a single plane running through Andromeda's center. This unexpected distribution is not obviously understood in the context of current models for galaxy formation. The plane of satellite galaxies points toward a nearby group of galaxies (M81 group), possibly tracing the large-scale distribution of dark matter

I can make out 1 of the companions through my scope, M32 cheers
Dave

davenn said:
I can make out 1 of the companions through my scope, M32

Wow, nice. I can barely make out Andromeda at all from my front yard with my 8 inch scope. Can't wait till I move out to Tucson in a week or so.

The magellanic clouds are in the southern part of the celestial sphere and visible from the Southern Hemisphere of the Earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magellanic_Clouds

Follow the links in the article for more info.

Ohhh I need a dark sky site for the companion galaxy, I can see Andromeda galaxy easily through the scope from home, but need to trave 30 mins to the nth side of the city to be able to see it naked eye

Due to the poor health, I haven't done any nite time astronomy this winter that we are nearing the end of :( ... not sad about the end of winter, but I did want to give the then new scope a good work out, but didnt happen.
In the last 8 months its been used to the Venus transit and a partial lunar eclipse

To Tucson, is that a permanent move ? I did enjoy one nite under the Arizona sky back in 2006 and with a power cut that occurred just as we booked into the motel, we had ~ an hour or so of really dark sky :)

Dave

davenn said:
To Tucson, is that a permanent move ? I did enjoy one nite under the Arizona sky back in 2006 and with a power cut that occurred just as we booked into the motel, we had ~ an hour or so of really dark sky :)

Dave

Yep. Moving there from Shreveport/Bossier City Louisiana. Going up 2500 ft or so in altitude, and with like 1/10th the humidity, plus a less crowded area it should be WAY better. Unfortunately the weather was cloudy all last week when I was in Tucson apartment hunting and doing part of my Air Force Reserve duties, so I didn't get to see anything at all.

Philosophaie said:
In a recent article:

The large Magellanic cloud is 160,000 LY distant
The small Magellanic cloud is 200,000 LY distant.

Their respective diameters are:

14,000 ly for the Large LMC
7,000 ly for the SMC

What constellation and designation(ex. NCG000) are the LMC and SMC respectively?

Drakkith said:
Yep. Moving there from Shreveport/Bossier City Louisiana. Going up 2500 ft or so in altitude, and with like 1/10th the humidity, plus a less crowded area it should be WAY better. Unfortunately the weather was cloudy all last week when I was in Tucson apartment hunting and doing part of my Air Force Reserve duties, so I didn't get to see anything at all.

Congrats on the move!

Philosophaie said:
What constellation and designation(ex. NCG000) are the LMC and SMC respectively?

there's a really nice and free planetarium ( starmap) program called Stellarium
I suggest you download it and start to familarise yourself with the night sky.

This program will answer all your questions ... its time for you to do some research for yourself :)

Dave

1. What are the Magellanic Clouds?

The Magellanic Clouds are two irregular dwarf galaxies located within the Milky Way. They are named after the Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan who first described them during his voyage around the world.

2. How far away are the Magellanic Clouds?

The Large Magellanic Cloud is approximately 163,000 light years away from Earth, while the Small Magellanic Cloud is about 200,000 light years away. This makes them some of the closest galaxies to our own Milky Way.

3. Why are the Magellanic Clouds important to study?

The Magellanic Clouds are important to study because they provide insight into the formation and evolution of galaxies. They are also useful in understanding the dynamics of the Milky Way and its interactions with other galaxies.

4. How big are the Magellanic Clouds?

The Large Magellanic Cloud has a diameter of about 14,000 light years, while the Small Magellanic Cloud has a diameter of approximately 7,000 light years. This makes them significantly smaller than the Milky Way, which has a diameter of about 100,000 light years.

5. Can the Magellanic Clouds be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, the Magellanic Clouds can be seen with the naked eye from certain locations in the Southern Hemisphere. They were known to indigenous peoples and early civilizations, but were first described by Europeans during the Age of Exploration.