Magnetic Dipole Field from a Loop of Wire

In summary, the magnetic dipole field is mathematically represented by β = ∇xA, where β is the magnitude of the field, ∇x is the direction of the vector field, A is the area of the circle enclosed by the vector field, and r is the radius of the circle. The equation is non-linear and requires plotting of the magnetic field lines to visualize it. When plotting the field lines, the radius must be taken into account.
bcerge1
I am trying to understand the magnetic dipole field via loop of wire.

coord.PNG

The above pictures show how this problem is typically setup and how the field lines are typically shown.
The math is messy but every textbook yields the following:

β = ∇xA = (m / (4⋅π⋅R3)) ⋅ (2⋅cos(θ) r + sin(θ) θ)

The issue I am having is seeing how the above equation yields the field lines from the above picture.
If θ is referenced from the Z axis, and the loop of wire is on the X-Y axis, in my mind the field lines are 90 degrees shifted. In other words, when θ=0, the radial component is at it's max straight up the Z-axis, and as θ approaches π/2 the radial component approaches 0. The above picture shows that β is max at π/2 and not 0. In Matlab I plotted a few different Radii for all θ = 0 to 2π and Φ=0:

Polar  Plot.PNG

This picture is 90 degrees shifted from how I think it should be. Can someone help me understand this? Why does the equation not align up with the way the typical picture is shown? Am I incorrect in assuming the Z-axis is perpendicular to loop? Am i missing something? Am i not even close? D:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello bc, :welcome:
bcerge1 said:
I plotted a few different Radii
What are Radii ? If I connect the dots in one way, I get the field lines from the picture at the top right (*). Perpendicular to those are the lines of constant |B| .

(*) but that picture has a non-zero size loop, the picture you made is for an infinitesimally small loop.

If i understand the equation correctly, the magnitude of the equation is the m / (4⋅π⋅R3). the R is the distance from the wire to the point of the B field being measured. I suppose its not technically a 'radius', rather a distance. The plot i created was for 7 different R values for θ = 0 to 2π.

I think where I am going wrong is trying to visualize the field coming the origin (infinitesimally small point at (0,0,0)) and not from a point on the wire. In other words, i might need to model the equation to include the geometry of the loop?

The strength of B is how tightly packed the magnetic flux lines are (density of the flux), rather than distance from the origin. So at pi/2, the lines are spaced far apart, while at 0 they are more dense.

So is plotting the magnetic field lines (upper right hand corner picture) different than plotting the B field?

Plotting the B field can be done two ways: follow the field lines (that's the usual way) or connect points with the same field strength.

1. What is a magnetic dipole field?

A magnetic dipole field is a type of magnetic field that is created by a dipole, which is a pair of equal and opposite magnetic poles. This type of field is characterized by its strength and direction, and is responsible for the interactions between magnets and other magnetic materials.

2. How is a magnetic dipole field created from a loop of wire?

A magnetic dipole field is created from a loop of wire when electric current flows through the wire. This current produces a circular magnetic field around the wire, and when the wire is formed into a loop, the magnetic fields from each section of the wire combine to create a larger magnetic field that resembles a dipole.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic dipole field from a loop of wire?

The strength of a magnetic dipole field from a loop of wire is affected by several factors, including the amount of current flowing through the wire, the number of turns in the loop, and the distance from the loop. Additionally, the material of the wire and the presence of any other nearby magnetic fields can also impact the strength of the field.

4. How is the direction of a magnetic dipole field determined from a loop of wire?

The direction of a magnetic dipole field from a loop of wire is determined by the right-hand rule. This rule states that if the fingers of your right hand point in the direction of the current flow through the wire, then your thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic dipole fields from loops of wire?

Magnetic dipole fields from loops of wire have many practical applications, including in electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. They are also used in various types of magnetic sensors, such as compasses, and in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines.