Magnetic field on a loop due to another loop

In summary, a magnetic field on a loop refers to the strength and direction of the magnetic force produced by a loop of current, and it can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law. The direction of the field is determined by the right-hand rule, and it can induce a current in nearby loops, known as mutual inductance. This concept has many real-world applications, including in electric motors and generators, transformers, MRI machines, magnetic levitation, and the study of Earth's magnetic field.
aldo sebastian
In the attached picture, the outer wire is carrying a current I(t), and it's asked to find the induced EMF in the inner loop. Now I have indeed calculated the B-field along the z-axis due to the outer loop. My lecturer then puts z=0 into that expression and then multiplied it with the area of the inside loop to get the flux and then thus EMF. My question is, the magnetic field component into the inside loop is obviously not only the one on the z-axis; the off-axis B-field that is inside the loop should also be taken account right? Or is there some symmetry that I am missing? Thank you

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 11.32.28 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 11.32.28 am.png
    3 KB · Views: 336
Physics news on Phys.org
##B_r## is indeed zero at z=0, folllows from Biot-Savart: the current is in the xy plane so the field is perpendicular, i.e. in the ##z## direction.
(see e.g. here for a formula). So in that respect teacher is correct.
Using ##B_z(r=0)## for ##r > 0## is much more questionable -- see the formulas -- but rather hard to quantify. There's a picture here (28 nov 2015)

aldo sebastian said:
In the attached picture, the outer wire is carrying a current I(t), and it's asked to find the induced EMF in the inner loop. Now I have indeed calculated the B-field along the z-axis due to the outer loop. My lecturer then puts z=0 into that expression and then multiplied it with the area of the inside loop to get the flux and then thus EMF. My question is, the magnetic field component into the inside loop is obviously not only the one on the z-axis; the off-axis B-field that is inside the loop should also be taken account right? Or is there some symmetry that I am missing? Thank you
The B field can only be accurately determined on the z axis including at the center (and you have to assume an infinitely long wire). The B field in the area of the inside loop other than on the axis is extremely difficult to determine. It involves elliptic integrals, is always an approximation, and even involves the diameter of the wire. So saying the flux is the axial B field multiplied by the area of the inner loop is a rough approximation, yes.

1. What is a magnetic field on a loop?

A magnetic field on a loop refers to the presence of a magnetic field around a closed loop of wire or a coil. It is generated by the flow of electric current through the loop and can interact with other magnetic fields to produce various effects.

2. How is a magnetic field on a loop created?

A magnetic field on a loop is created by the flow of electric current through the loop. When current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. This field is enhanced when the wire is coiled into a loop, resulting in a stronger and more concentrated magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field on a loop?

The strength of a magnetic field on a loop is affected by the amount of current flowing through the loop, the number of turns in the loop, and the material of the wire. The distance between the two loops and the orientation of the loops also play a role in determining the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How does a magnetic field on a loop interact with another loop?

When two loops with magnetic fields are placed near each other, they can interact in several ways. If the loops are parallel and the currents are flowing in the same direction, the magnetic fields will reinforce each other, resulting in a stronger overall field. If the currents are flowing in opposite directions, the magnetic fields will cancel each other out, resulting in a weaker field.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic fields on loops?

Magnetic fields on loops have numerous practical applications, including in electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in devices such as MRI machines and particle accelerators. Additionally, magnetic fields on loops are used in everyday objects like speakers, headphones, and credit cards.