The magnetic field outside a coaxial cable

In summary, there was a confusion about calculating the magnetic field outside a cable using the Amper law and Biot-Savart law. The value would be 0 with Amper law because the electric current inside the loop is 0, but with Biot-Savart law, the magnetic field at a point B would not be 0 due to the principle of superposition and varying distances. It was pointed out that the integration may not have been performed correctly when using the Biot-Savart law.
Amaelle
Good day All,
I have a confusion in my mind and i hope to clear it
biot.png

If we use the Amper law to calculate the magnetic field outside the cable, the value would be 0 because the electric current inside the amperian loop is equal to 0,
but in case we apply the Biot savart law to calculate the magnetic field say in the point B ( in red) i will use the principe of superposition and calulculate the magnetic filed generated by each current separatedly, but in this case because the distance varies, the magnetic field on B will not be 0
Any helps would be highly appreciated!
thanks

Attachments

• biot.png
    biot.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,481
Physics news on Phys.org
You are likely not performing the integration correctly when using the Biot-Savart law. How are you setting up the integral?

Likes Amaelle
NFuller said:
You are likely not performing the integration correctly when using the Biot-Savart law. How are you setting up the integral?
yes you are right , thanks a lot for pointing this problem, my integral was a total mess

Likes NFuller

1. What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of electrical cable that consists of an inner conductor surrounded by a tubular insulating layer and an outer conductor. This design allows for the transmission of high-frequency signals with minimal interference.

2. How is the magnetic field outside a coaxial cable created?

The magnetic field outside a coaxial cable is created by the flow of electric current through the inner conductor. According to Ampere's law, this current generates a magnetic field that encircles the cable.

3. Is the magnetic field outside a coaxial cable uniform?

No, the magnetic field outside a coaxial cable is not uniform. It is strongest near the inner conductor and decreases as you move further away from the cable.

4. How does the magnetic field outside a coaxial cable affect nearby electronic devices?

The magnetic field outside a coaxial cable can induce currents in nearby electronic devices, causing interference and distortion in their signals. This is why it is important to properly shield and ground coaxial cables.

5. Can the strength of the magnetic field outside a coaxial cable be controlled?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field outside a coaxial cable can be controlled by adjusting the current flowing through the inner conductor or by using different materials for the cable's insulation and outer conductor.