Magnetic field at centre and inside the toroid

In summary, the question asks for the ratio of magnetic induction inside a wooden toroidal core, with a current flowing through N=2.5 x 10^3 uniformly wound wire turns, to the magnetic induction at the center of the toroid. Taking into account the thinness of the core, the toroid can be simplified to a single loop of wire around the center. The magnetic field inside the toroid is given by mu_0NI/(2pi R), while the magnetic field at the center of a loop is given by mu_0NI/(2R). However, when finding the ratio, it is important to note that the number of turns (N) does not apply to the magnetic field at the center.
Saitama

Homework Statement

##N=2.5\times 10^3## wire turns are uniformly wound on a wooden toroidal core of a very small cross-section. A current ##I## flows through the wire. Find the ratio ##\eta## of the magnetic induction inside the core to that at the centre of the toroid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The field inside the core has some finite value and at the centre it is zero. So the ration should be infinite but this wrong. I don't see what I have missed. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The toroid is like a second coil, the wire goes around it once.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
The toroid is like a second coil, the wire goes around it once.

I still don't understand what you mean. :confused:

mfb means that because the wooden core is very thin, when viewed from the centre, O, of the torus you can take the core as having zero thickness. This means that the toroid can be thought of as a simple loop of wire around O.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
mfb means that because the wooden core is very thin, when viewed from the centre, O, of the torus you can take the core as having zero thickness. This means that the toroid can be thought of as a simple loop of wire around O.

The magnetic field inside the toroid is ##\mu_0NI/(2\pi R)## where ##R## is the radius of toroid.

Magnetic field at center of a loop is ##\mu_0NI/(2R)##. If I find the ratio ##\eta## using these two expressions, it comes out to be independent of N but this is wrong. :confused:

For the magnetic field at the center, you do not have N turns.

mfb said:
For the magnetic field at the center, you do not have N turns.

Thank you!

1. What is a toroid?

A toroid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a donut or a tire. It is formed by rotating a circle around an axis outside the circle. In scientific terms, it is a surface of revolution generated by revolving a closed curve in three-dimensional space about an axis coplanar with the curve.

2. What is the magnetic field at the centre of a toroid?

The magnetic field at the centre of a toroid is zero. This is because the magnetic field lines are circular and concentric around the axis of the toroid, resulting in a net magnetic field of zero at the centre point.

3. What is the significance of the magnetic field inside a toroid?

The magnetic field inside a toroid is strong and uniform. This makes it useful for applications that require a strong and consistent magnetic field, such as in transformers, electromagnets, and particle accelerators.

4. How is the magnetic field inside a toroid calculated?

The magnetic field inside a toroid can be calculated using the formula B = μ0*n*I, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current passing through the toroid. This formula only applies to ideal toroids with no magnetic material inside.

5. How does the magnetic field inside a toroid differ from other shapes?

The magnetic field inside a toroid is different from other shapes because it is confined to the interior of the toroid. This creates a stronger and more uniform magnetic field compared to other shapes, where the field lines may spread out and weaken as they move away from the source.